Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

Forward Collision Avoidance (FCA)

26K views 59 replies 27 participants last post by  pnclough 
#1 ·
What has been the experience with the FCA on Palisade.

Haven't gotten to see it in action.
It can work without having Cruise Control activated right?

#3 ·
The wife had an experience with the FCA. Recently she was driving and a vehicle in front of her was slowing down to turn into a driveway. She saw this and started braking to slow down. The FCA flashed a warning on the POP UP display as she continued to close the distance. As she was already braking the car did not start braking for her.

#4 ·
I've had it kick in I think twice. The first I was on a 2 lane road and the car in front of me started to turn onto a side road, and I took my foot off the brake, and the self preservation mode kicked in till the car was completely out of the lane, then let up. I forget the exact details of the second time.

#5 ·
I am currently having a debate with Hyundai as to whether the FCA is working properly in my Palisade. It has activated multiple times in exactly the circumstances that skiandexplore described above, with a car turnitng right. It has NOT activated when someone in my lane slammed on their brakes. Not have I been able to make it work when approaching a stopped car. The mechanic who took a test drive with me (after checking that all the prerequisites for operation were set correctly) said he didn't expect FCA to activate when approaching a stopped car, so I showed him pages 5-63 to 5-77 in the owner's manual. His reply (as senior mechanic in his dealership), "I have had no training which would allow me to make the system work as the owner's manual describes."
I have been to three dealers' service departments. No one seems to think the system should work as the manual describes it. A letter to the CEO's office brought "help" which consisted of talking to the service manager in the location with the mechanic described above. Quoting her, "He said anything, a leaf, a shiny car, could keep the system from working." But my car never seems to activate if the potential crash is in my lane. She had no further suggestions.
I do not understand why the system on my car behaves as it does, nor can anyone at Hyundai explain it to me.
I would be very interested to hear if anyone has a vehicle where you think the system is operating as the manual describes it should.

#57 ·
I am currently having a debate with Hyundai as to whether the FCA is working properly in my Palisade. It has activated multiple times in exactly the circumstances that skiandexplore described above, with a car turnitng right. It has NOT activated when someone in my lane slammed on their brakes. Not have I been able to make it work when approaching a stopped car. The mechanic who took a test drive with me (after checking that all the prerequisites for operation were set correctly) said he didn't expect FCA to activate when approaching a stopped car, so I showed him pages 5-63 to 5-77 in the owner's manual. His reply (as senior mechanic in his dealership), "I have had no training which would allow me to make the system work as the owner's manual describes."
I have been to three dealers' service departments. No one seems to think the system should work as the manual describes it. A letter to the CEO's office brought "help" which consisted of talking to the service manager in the location with the mechanic described above. Quoting her, "He said anything, a leaf, a shiny car, could keep the system from working." But my car never seems to activate if the potential crash is in my lane. She had no further suggestions.
I do not understand why the system on my car behaves as it does, nor can anyone at Hyundai explain it to me.
I would be very interested to hear if anyone has a vehicle where you think the system is operating as the manual describes it should.
Exactly the same experience as me. I don't think that it works... period. When a car is turning right it does but other than that mine has yet to go off.

#6 ·
A week ago, driving on a two lane road, the car in front of me was slowing down to make a left hand turn into the local gas station. My mode of driving is to continue to close the distance while anticipating the car ahead will clear the lane before I collide with it. I always look ahead to ensure if this does not happen and that I will be able to pass them safely on the left if they fail to clear the lane. The Palisade decided for me that my lack of action in slowing was not safe and activated the FCA which surprised me as this was my first personal experience with this feature. I think the rate of closure and distance separating me from the car ahead was what triggered the FCA to take independent action. Is this in compliance with pages 5-63 to 5-77, I do not know. But for me it seemed like a proper response to my seeming lack of attention and action by the Palisade.

#7 ·
My Palisade has activated under similar circumstances. What is troubling me is that it has NOT activated for a car stopped in my lane directly in front of me. And I'm concerned that there does not seem to be any published information on exactly when it is supposed to activate, nor any road test a Hyundai service mechanic can do to see if it is operating properly. All the mechanic could do with my car was to examine the sensors and camera and look for error codes in the system computer.

#8 ·
Let me clarify. The car in front of me was directly in front of me. It is a narrow two lane road. One lane in my direction and one lane in the opposite direction. I meant to say if the vehicle had not completed the turn left I would have had to pass on the RIGHT traveling onto the shoulder and grass area. As soon as I applied the brakes the FAC stopped activating because when I removed my foot from the brake it did not reactivate.

#10 ·
Thank you. In my case, at least twice the FCA has activated when a car made a right turn suddenly at the last minute. But in other cases with similar speeds and distances that occurred entirely within my lane (like someone faced with an emergency braking situation) it has NOT activated, leading me to wonder if my specific vehicle's FCA is working as it should.
From a very personal viewpoint, I cannot force Hyundai to redesign their system to be more effective; it is what it is. But I would like to be convinced that my specific vehicle is working as well as the system is designed to work. Getting Hyundai to acknowledge and deal with my concern is proving to be a frustrating and so far unproductive exercise.

#9 ·
For anyone worried about this, find an open parking lot and a very large (EMPTY!) box, drive towards the box at somewhere between 10 and 25 mph, and see what happens....

I'm not super inclined to worry, as at least the IIHS test says it avoided a crash at 12 mph and 25 mph. I do not believe ACC needs to be active to have collision avoidance operating, that is generally not how these systems work.

#12 ·
I've had similar experiences. It engages easily when someone in front of me is making a turn. But stopping directly in front it won't always come on. I think it has something to do with the sensitivity settings actually from Hyundai. They probably tuned it down for front end and way up on the corner sensors. Probably a software issue and once some people get into some car accidents they will do a recall to boost the sensitivity.

#16 ·
I am thinking of trying the box in the parking lot stunt to find out in a controlled environment what different factors affect the operation of this system. Will post the results when I have done this.

Regarding the HDA cruise activation you know you can set the following distance which in turns controls how soon the system will brake?

#21 ·
I am thinking of trying the box in the parking lot stunt to find out in a controlled environment what different factors affect the operation of this system. Will post the results when I have done this.

Regarding the HDA cruise activation you know you can set the following distance which in turns controls how soon the system will brake?
My Palisade performs flawlessly in cruise control and it is set to the farthest setting.

#22 ·
The palisade if my first vehicle with a FCA and I too wanted to know if was working correctly. Before seeing this thread I put a piece of rolled up carpet out in my cul-de-sac at night which never has any traffic. I placed the roll of carpet vertically and it was about 5 feet tall, I thought this would somewhat replicate a pedestrian.

This did not work at all. Either the FCA is more intelligent than I thought and really does pick up on the silhouette of a person or my system was not working. I also never did hit the carpet, but swerved at the last second to avoid it. So maybe it noted the evasive steering at the last second and did not activate, but I still thought it should have started a warning as I was only several feet from the carpet and it would have had to really slam the breaks very quickly. I was doing this at about 15 to 20 mph

So I did see one of the above videos where they essentially made what looked like a person leaned it against a box and that obviously worked, so anybody trying recreate these situations may need to get more creative than just stacking some items.

So going back to the situation above, I was losing some confidence that my system was working. I just got back from a trip to the Smoky Mountains and did have the FCA activate in a needed situation. I was driving with my wife up to Clingmans Dome in the Smoky Mountain National Park and anyone who has been on this scenic drive can probably see where this is going.

A vehicle, that was in front of the vehicle in front of me, came to an extremely abrupt stop, which obviously caused the vehicle in front of me to slam it's brakes. All of us were probably watching the scenery at this particular area more than we should have been, and I caught out of the corner of my eye that the car directly in front of me was at, or almost at a complete stop.

My foot instinctively was going to the brake when the FCA kicked in with an audible alert and i'm pretty sure it was starting to automatically brake. But as soon as I slammed my foot on the brake it felt like it gave the braking control back to me. Needless to say all ended well, and I felt the system did what it needed.

My observations so far is that Hyundai may have really tried to eliminate the system false triggering and the system seems to really hold out as long as possible before activating. It see that if the system gets even a slight inclination that you are slowing, absolutely BARLEY touching the brake, it really holds out as far as activating.

As far as the dealership not being very astute on this technology... that is no surprise to me and not unique to Hyundai dealerships. I have owned many makes of cars both foreign and domestic and have always been disappointed with the lack of knowledge of the technical aspects of these newer vehicles.

I anxious to see if anyone can do some successful tests of this system.

#23 ·
Well I did the card board box atop a styrofoam cooler crash test at 25 mph. I discovered a few things: First the experience of deliberating crashing into something was strangely exhilarating and quite panicky at the same time. The styrofoam cooler met its demise and the card board box ended up on the hood. The FCA did not stop the car or give any indication that there was an obstacle in the road ahead. That being said I know from two real world experiences that the system works and the wife and I were spared possible collisions. That is good enough for me until such a time that a real world event convinces me otherwise.

#24 ·
Thank you for running the test, as disquieting as your results are to me. Your faith in the real-world behavior of your vehicle is touching, but I'd really like to know 1) how the system is supposed to work 2) why it appears to sometimes and not others and 3) what I can actually expect in the real world.
I bought my Palisade largely on the basis of its safety features and it seems to me that Hyundai owes us more than marketing hype and random operation of the FCA.

#25 ·
That's why I posted this thread.
My expectations were not really to see FCA "Assist" with braking when I intentionally speed close to an object, I only expected a "Warning" at least, as the manual suggests.

Thanks for sharing your test observations Sterling.

#26 ·
So I was just browsing the manual and it clearly states that there is a built-in pedestrian recognition system. So you can't just use a square box to test this. It has to be something that looks like a human with a normal "body structure" (those words are in the manual, they're not my words). This explains why the video posted earlier in this thread had a cardboard cut-out of a human being instead of just a box.

Now that doesn't explain why it doesn't try to avoid the box as if it were another car, but I think (again, by reading the manual) that the object has to be moving to be recognized as a potential vehicle to avoid. So a box is not seen as such (because it doesn't move) and it's not seen as a pedestrian (because it doesn't look like one). Instead, it is seen as being part of the landscape.

In other words, there's some AI built-in that tries to recognize obstacles to avoid false positives that would make the car slam on the brakes for no reason. From that stand-point, it makes sense: it would be just a dangerous to slam on the brakes for no reason for the people behind you. But it also means it's not going to stop you deliberately driving into something (like a box).

Just my guess as to how this works, based on the wording in the manual.

#29 · (Edited)
What about REAR collision avoidance? Everything I read seems detailed when it comes to front collision avoidance but what about the rear? All I can find is that it will apply the brakes if a pedestrian happens to be walking behind the vehicle or if you are backing out of a parking spot and a cross-traffic vehicle is sensed. Aside from seeing it in the camera will the car sense a stationary object and activate braking to prevent you from backing into a post, guardrail or something other than a vehicle or person?

#30 ·
That feature works flawlessly on my Palisade Limited. It will keep me from backing out if there is anything coming from either direction or if there is a pedestrian in the way.

Update on the FCA: it continues to operate for people turning out of my lane, either left or right, if they have not cleared the lane and I have not braked. It has activated twice now for cars in my lane. Whether it activates for cars directly in front of me or not is entirely serendipitous. I do NOT rely on it at all.

Update on cruise control. Pali does a fantastic job of maintaining distance between me and the car in front. The system is so good that you can use it in stop and go traffic on the highway. Not long ago, I was on Rt 128 (AKA I-95) around Boston. It would take the car from 60+ mph to a complete stop and then start up again from 0 mph to whatever the traffic speed (or my setting if lower) with no intervention whatsoever from me. Impressed.

#31 ·
I got my Palisade limited less than a week ago and quickly started realizing that FCA did not work at all. There's been plenty of times I would have rear ended the car in front of me had I not braked or swerved and never did the FCA come on. I've only had it come on when a car up ahead turns right but it seems like the forward sensitivity is not working as it should. Funny thing is like others have posted, when using SCC the camera/radar do a stellar job at slowing/stopping if needed so not sure why the FCA is not working in a similar way. I also tested using a large cardboard box and ran right through the thing. I will be buying a life-size cardboard human figure to see if it works with that but I'm extremely disappointed as this was one of the key safety features that were important to me and it's supposed to work a lot differently than it does according to the manual.

#35 ·
It doesn’t work worth a damn in my experience. Minor rear collision where it absolutely should have worked and didn’t resulted in $5k worth of damage and parts on back order for weeks. No audible warning and no attempted braking. Going back to Volvo when this lease is up.

#36 ·
I have a 2012 MDX and considering Palisade Limited. The MDX has a forward collision warning, but does not stop the car totally. The biggest issue is the sensor is in the grill and it fills up with snow and slush often, and disables the system. I believe the Palisade is a 2 way system, a camera in the windshield and also a radar sensor in the lower grill. Has anyone had experience with this being blocked with snow etc and disabling the sensor system?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.