Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What has been the experience with the FCA on Palisade.

Haven't gotten to see it in action.
It can work without having Cruise Control activated right?

·
Registered
245 Posts
The wife had an experience with the FCA. Recently she was driving and a vehicle in front of her was slowing down to turn into a driveway. She saw this and started braking to slow down. The FCA flashed a warning on the POP UP display as she continued to close the distance. As she was already braking the car did not start braking for her.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've had it kick in I think twice. The first I was on a 2 lane road and the car in front of me started to turn onto a side road, and I took my foot off the brake, and the self preservation mode kicked in till the car was completely out of the lane, then let up. I forget the exact details of the second time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am currently having a debate with Hyundai as to whether the FCA is working properly in my Palisade. It has activated multiple times in exactly the circumstances that skiandexplore described above, with a car turnitng right. It has NOT activated when someone in my lane slammed on their brakes. Not have I been able to make it work when approaching a stopped car. The mechanic who took a test drive with me (after checking that all the prerequisites for operation were set correctly) said he didn't expect FCA to activate when approaching a stopped car, so I showed him pages 5-63 to 5-77 in the owner's manual. His reply (as senior mechanic in his dealership), "I have had no training which would allow me to make the system work as the owner's manual describes."
I have been to three dealers' service departments. No one seems to think the system should work as the manual describes it. A letter to the CEO's office brought "help" which consisted of talking to the service manager in the location with the mechanic described above. Quoting her, "He said anything, a leaf, a shiny car, could keep the system from working." But my car never seems to activate if the potential crash is in my lane. She had no further suggestions.
I do not understand why the system on my car behaves as it does, nor can anyone at Hyundai explain it to me.
I would be very interested to hear if anyone has a vehicle where you think the system is operating as the manual describes it should.

·
Registered
245 Posts
A week ago, driving on a two lane road, the car in front of me was slowing down to make a left hand turn into the local gas station. My mode of driving is to continue to close the distance while anticipating the car ahead will clear the lane before I collide with it. I always look ahead to ensure if this does not happen and that I will be able to pass them safely on the left if they fail to clear the lane. The Palisade decided for me that my lack of action in slowing was not safe and activated the FCA which surprised me as this was my first personal experience with this feature. I think the rate of closure and distance separating me from the car ahead was what triggered the FCA to take independent action. Is this in compliance with pages 5-63 to 5-77, I do not know. But for me it seemed like a proper response to my seeming lack of attention and action by the Palisade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Palisade has activated under similar circumstances. What is troubling me is that it has NOT activated for a car stopped in my lane directly in front of me. And I'm concerned that there does not seem to be any published information on exactly when it is supposed to activate, nor any road test a Hyundai service mechanic can do to see if it is operating properly. All the mechanic could do with my car was to examine the sensors and camera and look for error codes in the system computer.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Let me clarify. The car in front of me was directly in front of me. It is a narrow two lane road. One lane in my direction and one lane in the opposite direction. I meant to say if the vehicle had not completed the turn left I would have had to pass on the RIGHT traveling onto the shoulder and grass area. As soon as I applied the brakes the FAC stopped activating because when I removed my foot from the brake it did not reactivate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For anyone worried about this, find an open parking lot and a very large (EMPTY!) box, drive towards the box at somewhere between 10 and 25 mph, and see what happens....

I'm not super inclined to worry, as at least the IIHS test says it avoided a crash at 12 mph and 25 mph. I do not believe ACC needs to be active to have collision avoidance operating, that is generally not how these systems work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Let me clarify. The car in front of me was directly in front of me. It is a narrow two lane road. One lane in my direction and one lane in the opposite direction. I meant to say if the vehicle had not completed the turn left I would have had to pass on the RIGHT traveling onto the shoulder and grass area. As soon as I applied the brakes the FAC stopped activating because when I removed my foot from the brake it did not reactivate.
Thank you. In my case, at least twice the FCA has activated when a car made a right turn suddenly at the last minute. But in other cases with similar speeds and distances that occurred entirely within my lane (like someone faced with an emergency braking situation) it has NOT activated, leading me to wonder if my specific vehicle's FCA is working as it should.
From a very personal viewpoint, I cannot force Hyundai to redesign their system to be more effective; it is what it is. But I would like to be convinced that my specific vehicle is working as well as the system is designed to work. Getting Hyundai to acknowledge and deal with my concern is proving to be a frustrating and so far unproductive exercise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For anyone worried about this, find an open parking lot and a very large (EMPTY!) box, drive towards the box at somewhere between 10 and 25 mph, and see what happens....

I'm not super inclined to worry, as at least the IIHS test says it avoided a crash at 12 mph and 25 mph. I do not believe ACC needs to be active to have collision avoidance operating, that is generally not how these systems work.
I like your box idea. I was thinking of rigging a sheet across my (long) driveway, but your suggestion is easier. Thank you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had similar experiences. It engages easily when someone in front of me is making a turn. But stopping directly in front it won't always come on. I think it has something to do with the sensitivity settings actually from Hyundai. They probably tuned it down for front end and way up on the corner sensors. Probably a software issue and once some people get into some car accidents they will do a recall to boost the sensitivity.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've had similar experiences. It engages easily when someone in front of me is making a turn. But stopping directly in front it won't always come on. I think it has something to do with the sensitivity settings actually from Hyundai. They probably tuned it down for front end and way up on the corner sensors. Probably a software issue and once some people get into some car accidents they will do a recall to boost the sensitivity.
When someone is stopping directly in front of you have you at anytime just prior to recognizing this applied the brakes at all?

·
Registered
52 Posts
When someone is stopping directly in front of you have you at anytime just prior to recognizing this applied the brakes at all?
I believe it did once other than when having hda cruise activated. The cruise it stops all on its own. Slow to react sometimes but it does. Usually kicks in at the last second when the car in front of me turns left or right but I had already let off the gas to account for the car turning. It kicked on this morning when a school bus was making a right hand turn. I wasn't going to hit the bus anyways.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I am thinking of trying the box in the parking lot stunt to find out in a controlled environment what different factors affect the operation of this system. Will post the results when I have done this.

Regarding the HDA cruise activation you know you can set the following distance which in turns controls how soon the system will brake?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is a similar box test in an elantra (they made it look like a person, presumably to activate the pedestrian detection):

and here is one with a Kia sportage:

Would love to see someone run one with our palisades. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is a video from KIA describing what the system is supposed to do.

Autonomous Emergency Braking

This should be the same as the system in the Palisade.
Thank you. I actually had one service manager tell me that the Palisade had no AEB. And he's right in the sense it isn't called out that way. But he actually believed that FCA did no braking.
I had a Kia Sorento for 8 years. Great vehicle and my dealer offered superb service for that entire time. I was expecting the same from Hyundai; so far I have been terribly disappointed by Hyundai dealers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts