Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Thats kind of the idea to protect you? That said it can be too aggressive when your backing out and its a busy place and you have to be playing chicken a little bit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
All of the FCAA systems have a ways to go I think. Take a look at this review (w/ videos) where they repeatedly "crash" vehicles into a giant inflatable car to see how well and early the emergency braking works (none of the cars they tested were Hyundai's):

I think it comes down to a few important things:
  • The response time if the system is millions of times faster than what a human can do, but in order for it to work, the software algorithms have to anticipate the intent of the driver, not just the timing.
  • If it is too sensitive, there will be too many false positives and the driver will get mad and either not purchase the vehicle, or purchase it and turn the system off
  • If it is too aggressive, it may cause injury by braking when the driver doesn't think it needed to.
When you combine the last two points, we end up with systems that probably err on the side of being overly lenient than overly cautious.

Agree that so far the HDA/Smart Cruise works great, keeping distance and applying brakes if necessary. But that isn’t the system that failed us in this instance. This was city driving where the FCAA should have alerted and eventually applied the brakes to prevent a collision. No system is perfect but this time it let us down. Initial damage estimate is $3,100 and that will probably go up.
I've had problems with SCC not picking up distant, stopped vehicles. See if you can use it in the following or similar scenario
  • City driving with light traffic
  • You get behind another car (called it the lead vehicle) and set your SCC at 50. The lead vehicle is going 40 - 45.
  • Your Palisade faithfully follows it, keeping the correct distance.
  • The lead vehicle changes lanes.
  • SCC says "no more cars in front of me" and accelerated to 50.
  • In front of you is a distant but still visible vehicle in your lane that is stopped at a red light.
  • Does the SCC pick up the stopped vehicle and slow down before the FCAA activates and flashes visual and audio warnings?
I haven't been able to reliably reproduce the above or similar scenario, but when I have, I'm running a 50/50 on the SCC system picking up the stopped car. On at least three occasions now (two of which I tried to intentionally create), with SCC on and appearing to be active and functioning, the car has failed to slow down, and the FCAA system engages.

Now it's possible that the SCC was functioning but was just reacting slower than FCAA (both use the exact same set of sensors but have different sets of software and algorithms) but I doubt it. More likely something in the SCC software is causing it to not register a stopped vehicle if it is too far in front or outside of the detection time. I think something like the following is happening:
  • When you turn on SCC it scans for cars as far in front of it as it can
  • If it finds a vehicle, it adds it to its internal list and begins tracking its distance, speed, and other variables
  • If that vehicle leaves the detection area (e.g. it changes lanes, turns, gets beamed up by aliens, etc), the SCC system enters scan mode again
  • If no vehicles are found, the SCC system engages acceleration and speeds up.
  • While accelerating the SCC system doesn't acquire or lock on to stopped vehicles that enter the outer range of its scan limit
I'm not sure about the acceleration part. But there are definitely times when the SCC won't pick up on a stoped vehicle shortly after a lead vehicle "disappears".

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just RTFM -- apparently the Smart Crusie Control is not designed to pick up stopped vehicles, whether in normal or HDA mode. I can pick up very slow-moving vehicles, but not ones that stopped at a red light because of severe congestion.

This means that when using SCC on the highway if your car comes up upon a heavy traffic area with the vehicle in front stopped, it will now slow down.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited AWD Burgundy/Beige
185 Posts
I just had an incident with forward collision alert. Coming from a G90 and its FCA was much better IMO.
My incident was unwanted.

I was going about 25-30 mph. Two cars were creeping along side by side for way too long of a distance. Of course one was a fricking Prius.

A space big enough to pass opened up, but a red light was approaching. I gunned it in an aggressive kind of a dick move, but then... don’t go side by side for blocks and blocks.

The FCA nearly caused an accident. I gunned it and started my diagonal vector to pass. The brakes jammed on, alarms went off right on the center line with my car halfway through diagonally. Nearly came to a dead stop and almost got rear ended to boot. It was embarrassing, dangerous, and disappointing!

Had to gun it a second time to avoid getting rear ended. They must have thought I was an idiot. Pulling out in front of them aggressively and then jamming on the brakes almost immediately

Be warned about this feature with aggressive driving.

·
Super Moderator
1,388 Posts
It may not have been the FCA system, But the system which keeps you from turning in to a vehicle which is along side you. The G90 didn't have that.
It could have been the BCW and BCA which caused this if the car thought you were turning in to another car along side you. See page 5-78 in manual
I had a 2018 G90 ultimate and other than the active suspension and a smoother ride, a lot more power with the 5.0 V8. prefer the Palisade over all.
Mainly that is because if anything could go wrong with a car, it happened on my G90 and I feel Palisade has better safety features.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It may not have been the FCA system, But the system which keeps you from turning in to a vehicle which is along side you. The G90 didn't have that.
It could have been the BCW and BCA which caused this if the car thought you were turning in to another car along side you. See page 5-78 in manual
I had a 2018 G90 ultimate and other than the active suspension and a smoother ride, a lot more power with the 5.0 V8. prefer the Palisade over all.
Mainly that is because if anything could go wrong with a car, it happened on my G90 and I feel Palisade has better safety features.
No it was definitely the FCA. It was working exactly as designed I suspect.

It is just not made for an agressive move like getting really close to someone’s rearend and then jerking it into the passing lane.
The G90 let you be more agressive either because of the 5 liter or maybe the sensors were not as far apart.

If you have FCA on active just be careful with aggressive driving.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Very true.

But it happens periodically with me....Can’t help it sometimes.

We have all been there when 1 driver is so oblivious to the fact that they are doing the virtual drivers in arms going down the 2 lane highway for miles.

Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands and get aggressive with the driving or the scenery will never change...and driving in a wolf pack is dangerous whether it is 2 vehicles side by side of 8 vehicles.

So when vehicle one drops from 35mph to 34.9mph, and vehicle 2 increase from 35mph to 35.01mph, you have to do what you have to do to be free of the highway shackles when the gap opens.

I was simply highlighting the danger created by the frontal crash alert system. 98% of the time it improves safety....this time it made an unsafe condition.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have had to braking events. Both on the highway, and much later than I would expect. We also received a notification that the Collision avoidance system needed service. Called the dealer, got us in the next day (very unusual, usually takes a week to get an appointment.) there is a software update they did Tuesday (yesterday) haven't been in the car since we picked it up. But definitely get the software update.
I don't think the auto breaking system works when a vehicle is directly in front of you. I think it only gets activated by the front and rear side sensors. This my reasons why. 1. while dropping off my baby at daycare,I was backing up to park at the curb. A school bus was making a left turn to pass me on the left. While in reverse the car auto breaks until the bus passes. 2. while I was driving down a side street to intersect a busy street to make a left turn, I stopped a too far out in the busy street. While trying to reverse a little with cars coming to the left of me, my car auto breaks when there was no one behind me. 3. I was parallel parked on a busy street. While I was backing up to clear the car in front of me, my car auto breaks. I thought I ran into the car behind me, to my surprise it was because a car drove by on the roadway. Each time the car breaks for at least 5 seconds and made me feel as if hit someone or someone hit me. Not a good feeling.

·
Super Moderator
1,388 Posts
I don't think the auto breaking system works when a vehicle is directly in front of you. I think it only gets activated by the front and rear side sensors. This my reasons why. 1. while dropping off my baby at daycare,I was backing up to park at the curb. A school bus was making a left turn to pass me on the left. While in reverse the car auto breaks until the bus passes. 2. while I was driving down a side street to intersect a busy street to make a left turn, I stopped a too far out in the busy street. While trying to reverse a little with cars coming to the left of me, my car auto breaks when there was no one behind me. 3. I was parallel parked on a busy street. While I was backing up to clear the car in front of me, my car auto breaks. I thought I ran into the car behind me, to my surprise it was because a car drove by on the roadway. Each time the car breaks for at least 5 seconds and made me feel as if hit someone or someone hit me. Not a good feeling.
You can always turn it off if it bothers you

·
Registered
166 Posts
Like others have said, I have had the warning tone activate while a car was making a right hand turn in front of me really slowly and it went off. I have had it go off twice when cars in front of me braked quickly and I didn't react soon enough but I am not sure if the Palisade applied the brakes or not. It's only going to go off if it deems that an accident is going to occur. You usually have a lot more time to react then you think you do and I think the computer takes that into account so it isn't constantly going off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got mine Palisade sel week ago , but already have noticed the difference from my 2018 Highlander I had before this one. The event were Highlander would start beeping alerting me for collision, Palisade will remain quite. I start checking by approaching vehicles relatively close but seems like nothing happening. It’s weird. Radar for cruise work just fine. Highlander had alerted me good amount of times saving me from collision. With this one don’t feel safe at all, even though it supposed to be newer and better system. Also, I feel like the radar is located in most stupid place. Who decided to put it in that low. Why it can’t be behind emblem like many manufacturers do. No clue. It gets dirty quick, and it can be damaged easily with someone parking into your bumper (NYC drivers especially) or you hitting low objects. I can’t even put some sort of bumper protector because it will block the sensor.

·
Super Moderator
1,388 Posts
I have the 2020 limited, about the same as the 2021 calligraphy trim on features.
Mine beeps fine and warns me about a collision or getting to close to something.
Not sure what features you have on your Palisade but if these features are on it
Maybe you don't have them turned on

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
265 Posts
Just got mine Palisade sel week ago , but already have noticed the difference from my 2018 Highlander I had before this one. The event were Highlander would start beeping alerting me for collision, Palisade will remain quite. I start checking by approaching vehicles relatively close but seems like nothing happening. It’s weird. Radar for cruise work just fine. Highlander had alerted me good amount of times saving me from collision. With this one don’t feel safe at all, even though it supposed to be newer and better system. Also, I feel like the radar is located in most stupid place. Who decided to put it in that low. Why it can’t be behind emblem like many manufacturers do. No clue. It gets dirty quick, and it can be damaged easily with someone parking into your bumper (NYC drivers especially) or you hitting low objects. I can’t even put some sort of bumper protector because it will block the sensor.
Are you an engineer? I'm not so I'm not going to question where it is :LOL:. But realize it's not just the lower radar, it uses the cameras too. But sorry, I have zero issues with mine and I keep it on the lowest/shortest setting of 1. I find it slows me down too early but one helps. Regarding almost hitting a vehicle without smart cruise, mine beeps and flashed red several times, generally when a car is making a right hand turn in front of me. I don't think I'm close to hitting the car and the Pali has never started to brake, just flashes which is the first warning. But like Gene said, you do need to turn that feature on so first thing is to check your settings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you an engineer? I'm not so I'm not going to question where it is :LOL:. But realize it's not just the lower radar, it uses the cameras too. But sorry, I have zero issues with mine and I keep it on the lowest/shortest setting of 1. I find it slows me down too early but one helps. Regarding almost hitting a vehicle without smart cruise, mine beeps and flashed red several times, generally when a car is making a right hand turn in front of me. I don't think I'm close to hitting the car and the Pali has never started to brake, just flashes which is the first warning. But like Gene said, you do need to turn that feature on so first thing is to check your settings.
Everything is on, and I’ve actually seen it working twice. Still feel like it a bit too late. I would prefer a little earlier alert. Regarding location, I’m not an engineer, but one asshole already backed up into my lower bumper skid plate with his hitch hook and cracked it. Luckily radar wasn’t damaged.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
265 Posts
Everything is on, and I’ve actually seen it working twice. Still feel like it a bit too late. I would prefer a little earlier alert. Regarding location, I’m not an engineer, but one asshole already backed up into my lower bumper skid plate with his hitch hook and cracked it. Luckily radar wasn’t damaged.
Ok, yeah I don't know. Could always ask dealer to check and see if it needs recalibrated. Sorry to hear about the damage. I just had someone back into our other new car on the passenger side door. I was already established in the lane and she just kept backing out as I was blaring on the horn. 3500 miles on the car...gotta love it.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts