Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a FCAA intervention? I’m wondering what the alarms sound like and how heavy the braking is. My wife rear ended another car over the weekend in our brand new Limited and she says there was no audible warning or automated braking. Now we have a broken front grill and bumper. Ugh.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So the only 2 times that I have experienced it was driving around vehicles who are in the process if turning right but taking way too long to accomplish the turn. The car would sense the other car and indicate the possible collision on the dash. The sound was similar to the lane assist sound (lane assist was turned off both times) and there was some vibration. In both situations I didn't expect the FCAA to notify, but since it did, in my opinion the indication would have been too late to do anything and the vibration (which I am assuming was some sort of braking) was not significant enough to stop the vehicle.
(Good grief...listen to all the exceptions at the end if this video. I thought I was listening to a pharmaceutical commercial.)
Also, the other day a deer ran out of the woods and across the street right in front of the vehicle. Had I not seen the deer and slammed the brakes I definitely would have hit it. The deer was so close that had my wife been in the car she could have put her window down and slapped it on the butt as it passed. I was extremely annoyed...not at the deer...but at the fact that the car made absolutely no indication that an object had crossed the front of the car. When I voice that frustration to people they all say, "well the deer was running". So what if the deer was running the car is supposed to have pedestrian detection. Let's face it, if you are going to hit a pedestrian it is probably going to be one that runs out on front of the vehicle. If it couldn't sense a deer it concerns me that it's not going to sense a pedestrian if/when you truly need it to.

·
Registered
264 Posts
When it has occurred it always catches me off guard because I was not expecting it. Yes, braking was noticeable but not heavy, a beeping sounded and an indicator illuminated on the dash. My few experiences were that if the vehicle in front of me was moving away from me then the FCAA did not engage. If I was closing the vehicle and it was stopped or slowly significantly, then the FCAA would engage. Seemed sorta of random in the activation to me but still better than no action.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I confirmed system was/is active. On our previous car (Volvo) the system could not be turned off and believe me you would see and feel it. If anything it was overly aggressive.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Let's face it, if you are going to hit a pedestrian it is probably going to be one that runs out on front of the vehicle. If it couldn't sense a deer it concerns me that it's not going to sense a pedestrian if/when you truly need it to.
Just because it didn't detect the deer doesn't mean it won't detect a pedestrian. If you read the manual, you'll see that the pedestrian detection looks for characteristics that match a human body. A deer doesn't look like a human.

I don't know why it didn't react to the deer. It probably didn't match a shape that the AI looks for when analyzing the video in real-time. Particularly if the deer was running and/or at an angle. These systems aren't perfect. Not by a long shot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve had the warning from turning cars, as others have stated but never had intervention and once or twice in traffic. The times in traffic I thought there should have been intervention and there wasn’t. The HDA does a good job of detecting cars, etc so surprised the functionality seems hit or miss.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I Have had good experiences with Smart Cruise and Auto Breaking with the car slowing to safer pace and or stop as appropirate including smart resume of speed. This is with out HDA as I do not have the driver's or any of the SEL options.

Sometimes I'll take over. I find when the system is engaged i let it do its thing 80 percent of the time. The other 20 percent i made an executive decision it was time to slow down/slow down more. Don't have a crystal ball as to whether that 20 percent of the time i was more sensitive and having waited a moment more would have been good or bad outcome.

There are settings for following distance and also how aggressive the safety systems should be both in coming on line and making noise. You might want to check out those settings It is possible that someone altered them from their defaults or that it would better to ramp them up some.

If I am no mistaken steering wheel vibration, braking, and alert noises are all separate parts of the safety system.

No safety systems are perfect yet. No system can drive for you safely 100 percent of the time and probably never.

I look at them like when you spouse says LOOOK OUT!!!!
Sometimes you're really glad as your attention had waned. Sometimes they scare the crap out of you for no reason. I would rather have as many extra eyes and brains keeping us safe as possible. I will say I find the defaults pretty damn good. I have not tweaked them. I understand some other Car manufacturer safety systems are way to panicky to the point where people turn them off.

The only thing I ever found "funky" was Smart resume speed in Exit lane, Off Ramp situation, something I can not really think a car especially one with out HDA would be able to SUS out. A quick tap of the breaks corrects or one could disengage Cruise as your approaching an Exit to avoid

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agree that so far the HDA/Smart Cruise works great, keeping distance and applying brakes if necessary. But that isn’t the system that failed us in this instance. This was city driving where the FCAA should have alerted and eventually applied the brakes to prevent a collision. No system is perfect but this time it let us down. Initial damage estimate is $3,100 and that will probably go up.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Understood and sorry for you loss. All the Palisade Front/Side safety systems use the same sensors. I only used Smart Cruise etc. as an example I have experienced.

I think in City driving while the speeds tend to be lower 15 to 45 versus Highway 50 to 80 mph there different asks. On a highway you or the car is following some variation of the 3 second minimum follow distance that the space between you and the car in front are separated by 3 or more seconds against a measured object. That gives an alert driver or safety system just enough time to keep out of an accident.

Even then, I am not sure the system makes the correct call 100 percent of the time.

In City traffic its a whole different game you tend to be in crowds of cars and people are zipping in and out of lanes quickly at every angle imaginable. Also have to check the manual, but the system may not even be trying at certain lower speeds. In short I consider "City driving" more of demolition dirby situation that many systems are not capable of managing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone experienced a FCAA intervention? I’m wondering what the alarms sound like and how heavy the braking is. My wife rear ended another car over the weekend in our brand new Limited and she says there was no audible warning or automated braking. Now we have a broken front grill and bumper. Ugh.
We have had to braking events. Both on the highway, and much later than I would expect. We also received a notification that the Collision avoidance system needed service. Called the dealer, got us in the next day (very unusual, usually takes a week to get an appointment.) there is a software update they did Tuesday (yesterday) haven't been in the car since we picked it up. But definitely get the software update.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Irony for us is that the rear collision alert works great. Maybe we should just drive the car in reverse all the time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rear collision alert alarms and hits the brakes, just like forward collision alert does......or is supposed to.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Rear collision alert alarms and hits the brakes, just like forward collision alert does......or is supposed to.
Where does it say anything like that in the manual? All I can find is a section about Parking Distance Warning (Reverse) System. Do you have a US Palisade?

·
Super Moderator
1,391 Posts
This feature is on the SEL, and LIMITED but not on the USA SE edition.
Yes it will brake for you, but only if you have it turned on in the settings

·
Registered
150 Posts
The manual on pages 3-152 thru 3-158 never mentions that it will brake for you. Check it out.

·
Super Moderator
1,391 Posts
The manual on pages 3-152 thru 3-158 never mentions that it will brake for you. Check it out.
Those pages only deal with the parking assist
We are talking about the rear cross traffic alert.
I think everyone knows the front cross traffic is not on the Palisade.
The front collision warning and braking seems to work in these vehicles
if they are using the cruise control. But then that is not perfect. there are times when it will not help or will only slow the vehicle down so the crash is of a much less violent nature.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Oh, OK RCCA and not the reverse parking distance warning system. Yes, per the manual there could be some braking with RCCA but only for a few seconds under certain circumstances. As with any of these safety features they are not fool proof and safe driving techniques should be used at all times.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts