Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying a Palisade, but I have a question about changing the headlights. The Limited trim is outside my budget, and I'd probably end up with the SEL with convenience package. At that trim level, the car comes with halogen lights. IIHS grades the Palisade's halogen lights at only an M (probably due to the lights being so low on the vehicle), and from what I've read on this forum, people have had issues with dark V's in their line of vision. As someone with nightvision issues, this is a worry.
One option is to buy the SEL and then have the lights changed to LED afterwards. My understanding is that this isn't as easy as it may seem though, since lights are designed to work within their housing, and what can happen is that changing the lights to LED may make them brighter, but doesn't end up changing distance visibility all that much. But, I don't really know much about it. I was wondering if anyone who has changed the lights to LED could comment, and let me know their thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
452 Posts
It is easy, posted on on this forum 10 days ago, ** below.** They are brighter and whiter. Perhaps take a non premium SEL for a test drive after 5pm? My wife has night blindness. She has driven our non optioned SEL at night. She still does not like driving at night, but is more comfortable in our Palisade than the our prior Odyssey.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is easy, posted on on this forum 10 days ago, below. They are brighter and whiter. Perhaps take a non premium SEL for a test drive after 5pm?

Thanks for your response! What is your impression of the lights now that you've had them for some time? For instance, how do they compare to your prior car, and how is the distance visibility?

·
Registered
452 Posts
As I noted in-between edit of posts, my wife who does have night blindness is more comfortable in our SEL at night. That is not say she likes driving at night. No headlight can turn night into day. I will tell you when she used to pick me up from a train station in our old Odyssey at night she would switch back to passenger for the short 2 mile drive home. She does not do that in our Palisade, she drives us home.

I certainly notice making more navigation mistakes in unfamiliar places in any car I have driven at night (despite having GPS Navigation now a days).

The beam pattern for the Palisade is to the best of my knowledge the same whether you have LED or Standard (from reading here and elsewhere).

-I suspect most new cars are using a more "polite" beam pattern that tries not to blind oncoming drivers.

** To be specific the light fall off is about side mirror height on purpose. **

I am not a fan of this more modern beam pattern, but i am sure it helps not blinding other drivers and as noted LED did not change this pattern. The LED i bought are brighter and whiter and seem to improve downrange visibility. I have few places I driven so far that allow for even a subjective test as opposed to a measured one like CR or IIH do of how far down the road I can see.

Whatever you buy you might want to test LED and Non LED Palisade to get a better idea. I will say as I noted above a beam pattern clips around side mirror height is a change, a change I assume is present in most modern cars.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I neglected to mention we all have different budgets but if your trying to get the most for you money a non optioned SEL with or without AWD (no sun roof is most reasonable) if you agree with the feature set. The convenience package really does not add much that I was interested in and combined with the required sun roof raises the price by about 3K. Naturally if you go up another 2K with the Premium you get stock LED headlights from Hyundai, no need to go to the limited.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I recently bought a 2020 Palisade SEL which came with generic halogen lights, can anyone post the link for the exact LED lights for high/low/ headlights beams? Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts