Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual that came with your Palisade states HB3 also known as a 9005 (Max 60 Watt).
I have an SEL and it came with standard Sylvania bulbs (as do most of the Palisade except the limited and Premium SEL).

** In Manual flip to Page 8-3. You can find LED bulbs in the place of your choice for $25 to $200. Most are around $50 a pair +/- I ordered a pair on amazon recently and just put them in today, still evaluating them.
* Definitely brighter and whiter so far.

-Some shopping tips pay attention to the details of the lumens and wattage, etc. There is a tendency to list combined output of each figure from some sellers. e.g. a 30 to 100 Watt and 3000 to 12000 lumens might really be half each figure. That is when you look at the main info it lists the combined figure. Click through to the details and you get the per bulb figure. Most LED come with Fans+Heat sinks. I have to assume the per bulb wattage includes both. Its hard to find a higher watt brighter bulb that's heat sink only. Googling around it seems like the OEM bulb is somewhere between 1650 to 1800 Lumens each for reference. Naturally no point in switching unless it's higher.

-Install tip: It the top Bulb under the black Domes under the hood. Unless your Houdini leave the lower bulb (high beams alone really hard to reach and manipulate). The 6 inches or so further down makes it really hard to manipulate (also a different model bulb).

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sure. See below. Had them for almost 4 Months. I am sure there are better and worse. This was best reviewed that were close to 60 watt limit per bulb.. Best I could find at the time on Amazon looking over 4-5 star ratings versus percentage of 1-2 star.

I am sure there are better and worse:) Remember if you buy something else to scroll down to the specifications page. Not Amazon's summary or description and find the wattage/lumens per bulb. These were listed as 100watt /12000 lumen but are of course 50watt/6000 lumen per bulb.

In short if you do your own search for HB3 or 9005 and include wattage your going to want to double the figure your going after, e..g. 100 to get 50, 80 to get 40, 60 to get 30, etc. I would not go lower than 80 total because anything lower is not going to be much brighter then stock.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sure. See below. Had them for almost 4 Months. I am sure there are better and worse. This was best reviewed that were close to 60 watt limit per bulb.. Best I could find at the time on Amazon looking over 4-5 star ratings versus percentage of 1-2 star.

I am sure there are better and worse:) Remember if you buy something else to scroll down to the specifications page. Not Amazon's summary or description and find the wattage/lumens per bulb. These were listed as 100watt /12000 lumen but are of course 50watt/6000 lumen per bulb.

In short if you do your own search for HB3 or 9005 and include wattage your going to want to double the figure your going after, e..g. 100 to get 50, 80 to get 40, 60 to get 30, etc. I would not go lower than 80 total because anything lower is not going to be much brighter then stock.

Good Luck

Really appreciate the quick response and detail. I just checked the bulbs I ordered - had to cancel, as what I thought was 60w/per bulb was 30w.

thaNSS again for the tips.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Great hope they work well for you. Low beams are easy there on top where they appear on front of car under hood. There is a black plastic dome you have to remove. Its just like a plastic jar top easy to unscrew and put back. Leave yourself time even though it only take a few minutes.

If your household has latex gloves you might want to wear a pair. Its not as important as with Halogen bulbs that get oil and hot spots and are so each to accidentally touch them and burn out much faster.

You will be removing the "old" pair of Halogen you might want to keep in good working order as a back up should a new bulb proof defective. I had that happen to me with LED bulbs for my old Odyssey that stopped working after a few weeks of use (in fact it took the low beam fuse with it [had to replace car fuse for that as well fuses are cheap]).

I ended up reordering and returning the bad pair of LED for my for my Odyssey.
So you might want to also familiarize yourself with where the fuses are for low beams just in case... Just checked. Odd fuses for headlights are not listed that I can see with rest in chapter 7. Odd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Really appreciate the quick response and detail. I just checked the bulbs I ordered - had to cancel, as what I thought was 60w/per bulb was 30w.

thaNSS again for the tips.
Finally got around to putting in the lights...SUCCESS! fairly painless too, thanks for all the guidance.

one question,with your LED lights, do you see that “v” on the horizon that people speak of on this thread?

there seems to be a darker spot just left of center of the hood, not problematic, but def noticeable.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Great, glad it went well. Beam Pattern. Haa. So there are many threads here and other sites on this topic...

- So the short story is what as been said is that Hyundai beam pattern regardless of LED or Halogen is "notched" to avoid blinding oncoming traffic (in particular it is said is that it is clipped more on the drivers side.

What I personally see most is that beam pattern is basically 180 degrees from the ground up and ends around side mirror height, and is pretty evenly lit on both sides.

I have not personally had the opportunity to go to level ground and project onto the equivalent of flat white movie theater screens at various distances. What walls and objects I have "projected onto" while not driving (car in front of me, parking lot walls etc. have seemed relatively evenly lit.

What ends up happening on the road is what ever is on the side of the road is lit only to about side mirror height. I miss the more "360" lighting, but understand the benefit of not blinding oncoming traffic more than necessary. The headlights are mainly to see the road ahead. That said It's not like on a dark night super bright headlights approaching are going to be completely invisible to oncoming traffic. Just not so bad that person gets into an accident after... Back to Beam for us...

I recently took a trip up to up state NY where I was on a few roads with Zero road lighting. Prior to that I had been on roads only with lighting even if there had been a lot of tree cover so it previously had not been an effective test, not that I had any complaints. ** Long story short on roads with zero road lighting recently i was quite impressed with brightness and throw of the LED lights.

Naturally, did not have a range finder, but I would guess it was in 300 to 400 foot range in front of the car moving at highway speeds. My understanding Halogens are in the 100 to 200 foot range at best.

- I tend to leave a minimum of 3 to 5 seconds to the car in front of me and at 60MPH thats 300 to 500 feet if I am not mistaken. The Pool of light easily lit the road past the car in front of me.

On NISHTA site Halogen and LED stock distances for many cars are listed with other safety info. Sometimes they combine sister brands. Like Palisade/Telluride.

A Complicating factor on Palisade is if you leave the cars headlights on Auto it will use High beam assist when it senses no oncoming traffic. I have not turned off this feature off. I also have changed my High beams to LED. If I ever do I would have someone else do it. It's a really unpleasant, I started by mistake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The manual that came with your Palisade states HB3 also known as a 9005 (Max 60 Watt).
I have an SEL and it came with standard Sylvania bulbs (as do most of the Palisade except the limited and Premium SEL).

** In Manual flip to Page 8-3. You can find LED bulbs in the place of your choice for $25 to $200. Most are around $50 a pair +/- I ordered a pair on amazon recently and just put them in today, still evaluating them.
* Definitely brighter and whiter so far.

-Some shopping tips pay attention to the details of the lumens and wattage, etc. There is a tendency to list combined output of each figure from some sellers. e.g. a 30 to 100 Watt and 3000 to 12000 lumens might really be half each figure. That is when you look at the main info it lists the combined figure. Click through to the details and you get the per bulb figure. Most LED come with Fans+Heat sinks. I have to assume the per bulb wattage includes both. Its hard to find a higher watt brighter bulb that's heat sink only. Googling around it seems like the OEM bulb is somewhere between 1650 to 1800 Lumens each for reference. Naturally no point in switching unless it's higher.

-Install tip: It the top Bulb under the black Domes under the hood. Unless your Houdini leave the lower bulb (high beams alone really hard to reach and manipulate). The 6 inches or so further down makes it really hard to manipulate (also a different model bulb).
Did you need to install a PWM interface module as well? I'm looking at purchasing these:

GTR Lighting Ultra Series LED Headlight Bulbs - 9005 / HB3 (CX)

Their customer service rep suggest I also get a PWM interface module, but I don't want to if it's not necessary.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So they seem to be a reputable dealer but they do not list wattage per bulb just the amps but using a conversion calculator its only a 25 watt bulb. They list the Lumens as 1800 which is close to stock if your looking for brighter this is not much differnt then stock which 1650 to1800 depending on which 60 watt halogen bulb you compare to. If you really want to use them ask them if they have anything brighter. The car can handle up to 60 Watts per bulb. If you read the whole thread as above many places put in large print the combined lumens, wattage, etc. of 2 bulbs and you have to find the fine print that lists per bulb numbers. When searching say on Amazon you have to search for 100 watt to get 50 watt etc. Please read my posts above since I go into a lot of details I do not wish to repeat,

As to the interface modules most on Amazon come with the circuitry they needs its little pig tail attached to bulb. Without it lights may flicker or not work correctly or cause a fault. Not sure why HR sells them separately. I would not personally mind paying xtra for the best if something was really going to last or be better. The price of bulbs go up with wattage. On Amazon they run about $30 to $100 a pair with most being somewhere in the middle of that range. There plenty around $40 to $60. They all come from China and they all come with circuitry box. Note as well as the wattage goes up they have to have a fan and they come with them as well.

Also note that HR sold bulb does not come with adjustable collar to adjust the beam pattern if needed. Most LED bulbs to come with that. The reason being most led bulbs can not produce light in full 360 and may need to be rotated. The car housing/reflector/projector does a lot but sometimes some bulbs require rotation. Mine did not. Lastly note that a bulb as bright as 50 watts per bulb is going to be around $200 on HR. I took a quick peak and they have 36 watt bulb for $169. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for your response. Honestly I'm switching to LEDs because I want the headlights to match the whiter (6000k) color of the DRLs. I don't need brighter. I'd prefer them to be close to stock brightness.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great hope they work well for you. Low beams are easy there on top where they appear on front of car under hood. There is a black plastic dome you have to remove. Its just like a plastic jar top easy to unscrew and put back. Leave yourself time even though it only take a few minutes.

If your household has latex gloves you might want to wear a pair. Its not as important as with Halogen bulbs that get oil and hot spots and are so each to accidentally touch them and burn out much faster.

You will be removing the "old" pair of Halogen you might want to keep in good working order as a back up should a new bulb proof defective. I had that happen to me with LED bulbs for my old Odyssey that stopped working after a few weeks of use (in fact it took the low beam fuse with it [had to replace car fuse for that as well fuses are cheap]).

I ended up reordering and returning the bad pair of LED for my for my Odyssey.
So you might want to also familiarize yourself with where the fuses are for low beams just in case... Just checked. Odd fuses for headlights are not listed that I can see with rest in chapter 7. Odd.
I ordered the set and mine are already LEDs. I reached in and felt a fan and there isn't any difference in the brightness. I'm guessing they changed them up or is this maybe s limited thing?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yiuppers. And too my knowledge when they need to replaced their is a whole module not a simple bulb swap but others would know best. I do not have factory LED in my SEL.

·
Registered
864 Posts
And too my knowledge when they need to replaced their is a whole module not a simple bulb swap but others would know best.
probably the whole LED module with the cooling, etc. I doubt that means the entire headlight.

Keep in mind that the lifespan of LEDs is substantially longer than halogen bulbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yiuppers. And too my knowledge when they need to replaced their is a whole module not a simple bulb swap but others would know best. I do not have factory LED in my SEL.
Since installing, how have they worked so far? Did you need anything else to install, other that the bulb?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For the one I bought just the bulb is needed. They work really well much longer throw and brighter as noted earlier in the thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For the one I bought just the bulb is needed. They work really well much longer throw and brighter as noted earlier in the thread.
Cool. So no fan or other assembly? And you only have to remove the halogen and plug in the LEDs? I have the SEL with convenience pkg, without LED obviously.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You should read my contributions to the thread so I do not restate everything again, there is a lot of into/advice. That said note to answer your specific questions: Anything significantly brighter then stock has to come with a fan built in not a heat sync. Similarly any good set of bulbs has built into the bulb cord has a dongle with a set of electronics to make sure the bulbs work correctly. Above I linked the pair i bought. There of course many others.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts