Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So FOLDING MIRRORS, that don't.
After trying everything to get the side mirrors to fold, I have to admit defeat. Strange since there is so much high tech in our Palisade Limited Hytrac......However, while trawling through the many panels in the displays to try to solve the ipod mystery I came across this yesterday.
Hmmmmm. The plot thickens. "The outside mirrors unfold"???
side mirrors.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is obviously market specific. Not destined for US models apparently. Not the end of the World , but just suprised. Still a great vehicle. The challenges of an early adopter.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade AWD Limited - Sierra Burgundy
14 Posts
Prior to buying my Limited, I asked my salesman to confirm the rumor that Palisade's sold in Asia (and potentially other parts of the world) have folding mirrors. My salesman confirmed that the rumor was true. I got curious and sent the below messages to Hyundai to ask why the same vehicle sold elsewhere doesn't have the folding mirror function? I also asked if there was a remedy to enable the mirrors to fold? After the second lame response (March 17), they asked me to call them. Hmm, I thought? Whenever a company asks for a call instead of replying to your written request, that probably means they DON'T want to document their response. Yep, I was right.

On March 19 I called corporate and "Jeff" in Customer Service understood my question and agreed that it deserved an official and more specific answer. He sought a response from their "Research Team." That team responded to Jeff within days w/ a one sentence response that Jeff seemed reluctant to repeat to me on the phone. The gist of what Jeff said was that they made a design decision. Huh?

A "design decision" would mean that Palisade's are incapable of folding their mirrors. That is NOT correct. We all know that Palisade's are designed w/ folding mirrors. For reasons still unknown, Hyundai chose not to provide that function for the U.S. market. Why not? "Jeff" agreed to try and get a better answer. Yesterday "Jeff" wasn't available, but "John" in customer service took my call. There was no add'l update from Jeff's actions. John speculated that maybe folding mirrors wasn't available in America b/c it was deemed unnecessary. John suggested that my dealer's service dept. might know more about this issue? Nope, they don't!

The first Hyundai response (March 16):

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America. We appreciate that you took the time to provide feedback for your 2020 Palisade.

Hyundai values your opinions and we appreciate you taking the time to contact us with your comments and suggestions regarding the design of your vehicle. We try to design and equip all of our models with materials and features that will appeal to our current and potential customers. Some of the factors that are evaluated during vehicle design and production include demand, safety, durability, efficiency, comfort, convenience and aesthetics. We are sometimes unable to produce an automobile with the features and materials that will satisfy or appeal to all of our customers.

We have documented your comments. Your case number 16907849 can be referenced if we can provide further assistance.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America.

Respectfully,

Hyundai Customer Care
(800) 633-5151
Monday-Friday 5:00 AM-7:00 PM Pacific Time
Saturday and Sunday 6:30 AM-3:00 PM Pacific Time
For open campaign information, please visit: www.hyundaiusa.com/campaignhome

My second inquiry (March 17):

Thank you for the prompt reply, but this boilerplate response doesn’t address my complaint, or offer a solution. Palisade’s sold outside of America have folding mirrors, which means that the design capability already exists. The unanswered question remains why isn’t that feature included w/ cars shipped to America? My Limited was built in Seoul, but lacks this mirror feature.

1. Is there any plan to provide a software of hardware upgrade to enable the mirrors to retract?
2. Why were cars destined for America denied the retractable mirror feature?

Thanks for your attention to this request.

The second Hyundai response (March 17):

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America. We appreciate the opportunity to hear from our customers, but we apologize for the circumstances that prompted your need to contact us.

We are sorry to learn that you are experiencing concerns with your 2020 Palisade and would like to speak with you by phone to provide further assistance. Please contact us at your earliest convenience, so we can discuss your concerns.

When contacting us, please reference your case number 16907849.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America and being a valued member of our Hyundai Family.

Respectfully,

Hyundai Customer Care
(800) 633-5151

·
Registered
936 Posts
Prior to buying my Limited, I asked my salesman to confirm the rumor that Palisade's sold in Asia (and potentially other parts of the world) have folding mirrors. My salesman confirmed that the rumor was true. I got curious and sent the below messages to Hyundai to ask why the same vehicle sold elsewhere doesn't have the folding mirror function? I also asked if there was a remedy to enable the mirrors to fold? After the second lame response (March 17), they asked me to call them. Hmm, I thought? Whenever a company asks for a call instead of replying to your written request, that probably means they DON'T want to document their response. Yep, I was right.

On March 19 I called corporate and "Jeff" in Customer Service understood my question and agreed that it deserved an official and more specific answer. He sought a response from their "Research Team." That team responded to Jeff within days w/ a one sentence response that Jeff seemed reluctant to repeat to me on the phone. The gist of what Jeff said was that they made a design decision. Huh?

A "design decision" would mean that Palisade's are incapable of folding their mirrors. That is NOT correct. We all know that Palisade's are designed w/ folding mirrors. For reasons still unknown, Hyundai chose not to provide that function for the U.S. market. Why not? "Jeff" agreed to try and get a better answer. Yesterday "Jeff" wasn't available, but "John" in customer service took my call. There was no add'l update from Jeff's actions. John speculated that maybe folding mirrors wasn't available in America b/c it was deemed unnecessary. John suggested that my dealer's service dept. might know more about this issue? Nope, they don't!

The first Hyundai response (March 16):

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America. We appreciate that you took the time to provide feedback for your 2020 Palisade.

Hyundai values your opinions and we appreciate you taking the time to contact us with your comments and suggestions regarding the design of your vehicle. We try to design and equip all of our models with materials and features that will appeal to our current and potential customers. Some of the factors that are evaluated during vehicle design and production include demand, safety, durability, efficiency, comfort, convenience and aesthetics. We are sometimes unable to produce an automobile with the features and materials that will satisfy or appeal to all of our customers.

We have documented your comments. Your case number 16907849 can be referenced if we can provide further assistance.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America.

Respectfully,

Hyundai Customer Care
(800) 633-5151

My second inquiry (March 17):

Thank you for the prompt reply, but this boilerplate response doesn’t address my complaint, or offer a solution. Palisade’s sold outside of America have folding mirrors, which means that the design capability already exists. The unanswered question remains why isn’t that feature included w/ cars shipped to America? My Limited was built in Seoul, but lacks this mirror feature.

1. Is there any plan to provide a software of hardware upgrade to enable the mirrors to retract?
2. Why were cars destined for America denied the retractable mirror feature?

Thanks for your attention to this request.

The second Hyundai response (March 17):

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America. We appreciate the opportunity to hear from our customers, but we apologize for the circumstances that prompted your need to contact us.

We are sorry to learn that you are experiencing concerns with your 2020 Palisade and would like to speak with you by phone to provide further assistance. Please contact us at your earliest convenience, so we can discuss your concerns.

When contacting us, please reference your case number 16907849.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America and being a valued member of our Hyundai Family.

Respectfully,

Hyundai Customer Care
(800) 633-5151
I'm not sure what answer you're expecting to get... It's a marketing decision (not design, obviously, as you point out). Product managers probably felt it wasn't needed, or that they could justify a price increase in MY 2021 by adding it then. You probably won't get the exact answer unless you somehow manage to talk to the Product managers.

Similarly, why did they get rid of the Mud and Sand modes on AWD US models? A magazine actually asked, and since they have better access than us common folks, we now know that they felt the Snow mode would accomplish every thing US customers would need. Or why does Korea have LED headlights with 3 bulbs? We don't know to this day. Some speculate it's a fog light, some that it's a directional light (when you turn the steering wheel). But we don't know why the US didn't get it.

I think it's good that you told them you're unhappy with their decision, but it's obviously a marketing decision and you're not going to get a much better answer than the first email they sent you: "We try to design and equip all of our models with materials and features that will appeal to our current and potential customers. Some of the factors that are evaluated during vehicle design and production include demand, safety, durability, efficiency, comfort, convenience and aesthetics. We are sometimes unable to produce an automobile with the features and materials that will satisfy or appeal to all of our customers."

I mean... that's pretty much it in a nutshell. One of those reasons was why they took it out.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Similarly, why did they get rid of the Mud and Sand modes on AWD US models? A magazine actually asked, and since they have better access than us common folks, we now know that they felt the Snow mode would accomplish every thing US customers would need. Or why does Korea have LED headlights with 3 bulbs? We don't know to this day. Some speculate it's a fog light, some that it's a directional light (when you turn the steering wheel). But we don't know why the US didn't get it.
These actually probably have easy answers. In the US, manual control over the center locking diff was given in place of mud and sand mode. From a marketing stand point, the US consumer likely biases a bit more towards the idea that they want control and that a "real" off roader (not that I'd consider the palisade such) must have a center locking diff they can turn on.

As for headlights, generally the US market gets shafted on modern improvements to headlight designs because are antiquated DOT regulations only allow for headlights with a low beam and a high beam. Same reason that the nifty laser headlights from Audi and Mercedes aren't available in the US.

·
Registered
936 Posts
These actually probably have easy answers. In the US, manual control over the center locking diff was given in place of mud and sand mode. From a marketing stand point, the US consumer likely biases a bit more towards the idea that they want control and that a "real" off roader (not that I'd consider the palisade such) must have a center locking diff they can turn on.

As for headlights, generally the US market gets shafted on modern improvements to headlight designs because are antiquated DOT regulations only allow for headlights with a low beam and a high beam. Same reason that the nifty laser headlights from Audi and Mercedes aren't available in the US.
I did actually mention the answer provided by Hyundai about mud and sand. As to the directional headlights, if that's what's on the Korean Palisade, they're allowed in the US.

The new Sonata has matrix LED headlights on the Limited. I haven't looked into them, but if that's what I think they are, I thought those weren't legal.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I did actually mention the answer provided by Hyundai about mud and sand. As to the directional headlights, if that's what's on the Korean Palisade, they're allowed in the US.
You mentioned a generic answer they gave. I suspect that the driver behind that answer had a bit more to it.

Directional headlights are legal in the US, yes, but multiple different headlights are different. I can't think of any vehicle that has a primary low beam projector and then another secondary low beam directional projector that runs at the same time.

As for the matrix led headlights on the sonata, I have seen some of the early press reviews mentioning them coming standard on the limited trim, however, if you go to Hyundai's website, there is no mention of them. My guess is theyre available in other markets and we're included on the early press cars but didn't actually make it to market due to regulations.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yup, although they also didn't get the independent control of the locking center diff. Everything is handled by the car.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade AWD Limited - Sierra Burgundy
14 Posts
"Yanni" provided this folding mirror video from a vehicle being sold in Qatar. Watch what happens at 9:15. I tried what appears to a simultaneous split finger push of both the left and right mirror buttons, but they nothing happened on my Limited. The L/R buttons don't depress at all for any special mirrors actions. Bummer!

·
Registered
936 Posts
"Yanni" provided this folding mirror video from a vehicle being sold in Qatar. Watch what happens at 9:15. I tried what appears to a simultaneous split finger push of both the left and right mirror buttons, but they nothing happened on my Limited. The L/R buttons don't depress at all for any special mirrors actions. Bummer!

That's not what he's doing. Look closely, there's a button to fold the mirrors above the left/right selector. We don't have that button in the US. Here's what it looks like (from the Korean manual):

1 - 14 of 14 Posts