Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the Palisade (Except the grill). Am hoping for a midseason refresh to include folding side mirrors for the us market. Saw a video from Dubai and yes they did have them. Also saw a post somewhere of wiring diagram with folding mirrors. Also hoping for widescreen Android Auto ...Apple Car Play has it ! I will be towing on a regular basis and need the 7 pin plug wiring. Currently it is wired for four pin only. Yes I can have the dealer hack into the wiring and add it as someone put a video out and did that. Marketing advertises 5,000lbs towing but you can't tow with electric brakes with four pin.
Hyndai you know you dropped the ball on these three items. I am patient and will wait till you fix .

P.S.
Teuride did the same thing except they did include folding mirrors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention that all the USB ports should have been fast charge and or type "c". The current ports do not keep a phone charged while using it. That goes for you too Telluride!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Forgot to mention that all the USB ports should have been fast charge and or type "c". The current ports do not keep a phone charged while using it. That goes for you too Telluride!
USB C to USB C is still not "widely" adopted. I'd much rather have USB A slots that like 99% of most folks' cables use. I mean, what phones actually use PD (Power Delivery) as their primary charging mechanism? Not many... you'd also be screwed if you have an iDevice, since they too use USB A-to-lightning cables, never USB C (beside the latest iphone 11 pro, but that's the sole exception as far as I know). Besides, if you really want a USB C slot, there are plenty of 12V phone chargers you can use. To expect it OEM outta a car seems a bit "reaching".

Meanwhile, my phone "fast" charges without issue on any of the charging ports, even during active use. My guess is, YMMV depending on your phone and what kind of "fast charging" system (QC, proprietary, etc.) it is compatible with, and/or how it functions when in use. For example, my previous phone restricted charging speed to a CRAWL when the screen was on (much to my annoyance); my current phone has no such restriction.

The palisade tows just fine (see other posts on the forum). If you need/want 7pin, just get/install an adapter. Hyundai literally tells you to do that in the owner's manual. Doesn't seem like an "issue" to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand what you are saying about usb A. I am just going by what some people in both forums are saying. The current supplied usb A can’t keep up with some peoples phone as they are using them. Hyundai and Kia should give us both as in the New Ford Explorer.

“ The Explorer boasts as many as four USB ports (including type-C), a trio of 12-volt outlets, and a 110-volt outlet.”

They are both new platforms and should make ports future proof for at least half of their useful life.

A 7 pin adapter won’t get you the additional powerline to activate the electric brake. As far as I can determine both Palisade and Telluride harnesses are not wired for 7 pin .Even Etrailer only sells harness for 4pin connector. See this video to get an idea of what you have to go through to install additional wiring.

I am hoping someone will prove me wrong. After paying nearly 50K , I shouldn’t have to hack up a brand new harness to get what both cars advertise as 5000lbs towing.

Here is the video showing folding side mirrors on a Hyundai Palisade at 9:16:

I know for most people these are minor things, but they can be remedied fairly easily at the production level. ( including widescreen Android auto) The first vehicle that does so will get my 50k.
Meanwhile I will continue to use my 2013 Silverado with 7 pin for towing. (Will still be keeping my truck regardless.)

·
Registered
147 Posts
A 7 pin adapter won’t get you the additional powerline to activate the electric brake. As far as I can determine both Palisade and Telluride harnesses are not wired for 7 pin .Even Etrailer only sells harness for 4pin connector. See this video to get an idea of what you have to go through to install additional wiring.

I am hoping someone will prove me wrong. After paying nearly 50K , I shouldn’t have to hack up a brand new harness to get what both cars advertise as 5000lbs towing.
Check out the following post and thread that appears on another forum:

You can get 7 pin adapter, and wire up a brake controller if you need it. I don't know what you mean that it's "not wired for 7 pin". It's true that the car is not wired from the factory for 7 pin, but its "easy" enough for any shop to install an adapter, along with any other components (i.e. wiring for the brake controller, the brake controller itself, etc.).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to "argue" with or against you, per se. Your criticisms are absolutely valid and fair, but I'm just making sure we are all aware of the possible solutions to the complaint(s) you've mentioned regarding the Palisade's towing capabilities, instead of focusing what "could've been". No car is perfect. For better or worse, this is the car they built. Oh well.

You're right, it would've been nice if palisades/tellurides came with a bit more "out of box" towing capability. But even then, I'd much rather prefer pay a proper shop to install the hitch and wiring and adapters and whatnot, instead of getting overcharged for a hypothetical towing package and/or OEM accessories from the dealer/manufacturer. That's just my take, but again, you're absolutely free to bring up your own personal preferences.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out the following post and thread that appears on another forum:

You can get 7 pin adapter, and wire up a brake controller if you need it. I don't know what you mean that it's "not wired for 7 pin". It's true that the car is not wired from the factory for 7 pin, but its "easy" enough for any shop to install an adapter, along with any other components (i.e. wiring for the brake controller, the brake controller itself, etc.).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to "argue" with or against you, per se. Your criticisms are absolutely valid and fair, but I'm just making sure we are all aware of the possible solutions to the complaint(s) you've mentioned regarding the Palisade's towing capabilities, instead of focusing what "could've been". No car is perfect. For better or worse, this is the car they built. Oh well.

You're right, it would've been nice if palisades/tellurides came with a bit more "out of box" towing capability. But even then, I'd much rather prefer pay a proper shop to install the hitch and wiring and adapters and whatnot, instead of getting overcharged for a hypothetical towing package and/or OEM accessories from the dealer/manufacturer. That's just my take, but again, you're absolutely free to bring up your own personal preferences.
Thanks for the link!

Apparently there is still much confusion with Both vehicles as to the tongue weight limit 351 vs 500lbs but it looks like both companies are working to address the error in both manuals to the 500lbs (5000lbs max capacity) . But that is another issue.

What I am saying is that Hyundai and Kia are marketing towing to be 5000lbs and in order to get that with electric brakes which most travel trailers have, there needs to be a 7 pin connector. They should have included the third power wire in the harness so that the 7 pin could be wired to it at the plug in the drivers side compartment. I should be able to just plug and play with an aftermarket Curt hitch, since towing package is included in all Palisades as of now, ( you just need to pay for a hitch). Splicing into existing harness by a dealer or tow shop is still questionable as to affecting the warranty. I don’t mind paying for the actual brake controller as long as I can plug it in under the dashboard. Although Ford explorer has it integrated nicely into the dash.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade AWD Limited - Sierra Burgundy
14 Posts
I love the Palisade (Except the grill). Am hoping for a midseason refresh to include folding side mirrors for the us market. Saw a video from Dubai and yes they did have them. Also saw a post somewhere of wiring diagram with folding mirrors. Also hoping for widescreen Android Auto ...Apple Car Play has it ! I will be towing on a regular basis and need the 7 pin plug wiring. Currently it is wired for four pin only. Yes I can have the dealer hack into the wiring and add it as someone put a video out and did that. Marketing advertises 5,000lbs towing but you can't tow with electric brakes with four pin.
Hyndai you know you dropped the ball on these three items. I am patient and will wait till you fix .

P.S.

P.S.
Check out the "folding side mirror" forum for the latest on the mirror topic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
USB C to USB C is still not "widely" adopted. I'd much rather have USB A slots that like 99% of most folks' cables use. I mean, what phones actually use PD (Power Delivery) as their primary charging mechanism? Not many... you'd also be screwed if you have an iDevice, since they too use USB A-to-lightning cables, never USB C (beside the latest iphone 11 pro, but that's the sole exception as far as I know). Besides, if you really want a USB C slot, there are plenty of 12V phone chargers you can use. To expect it OEM outta a car seems a bit "reaching".

Meanwhile, my phone "fast" charges without issue on any of the charging ports, even during active use. My guess is, YMMV depending on your phone and what kind of "fast charging" system (QC, proprietary, etc.) it is compatible with, and/or how it functions when in use. For example, my previous phone restricted charging speed to a CRAWL when the screen was on (much to my annoyance); my current phone has no such restriction.

The palisade tows just fine (see other posts on the forum). If you need/want 7pin, just get/install an adapter. Hyundai literally tells you to do that in the owner's manual. Doesn't seem like an "issue" to me.
You can get a USB C to any type phone cable, it might not be the cable the phone comes with, but the cables are available. I’d much rather have USB C ports that can support any phone or device in the car, and have to buy a special cable. Buying another car or installing after market ports is far more expensive than a cable. Your phone can’t fast charge on the low power USB ports in our Palisades, they can only slow charge. These cars are going to be around for a few years, they should come with the latest technology as it will be old tech soon enough, but starting with outdated standards it going to make it obsolete so much sooner.

Unfortunately Hyundai is not alone, most car makers lag far behind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the link!

Apparently there is still much confusion with Both vehicles as to the tongue weight limit 351 vs 500lbs but it looks like both companies are working to address the error in both manuals to the 500lbs (5000lbs max capacity) . But that is another issue.

What I am saying is that Hyundai and Kia are marketing towing to be 5000lbs and in order to get that with electric brakes which most travel trailers have, there needs to be a 7 pin connector. They should have included the third power wire in the harness so that the 7 pin could be wired to it at the plug in the drivers side compartment. I should be able to just plug and play with an aftermarket Curt hitch, since towing package is included in all Palisades as of now, ( you just need to pay for a hitch). Splicing into existing harness by a dealer or tow shop is still questionable as to affecting the warranty. I don’t mind paying for the actual brake controller as long as I can plug it in under the dashboard. Although Ford explorer has it integrated nicely into the dash.
I hear what you are saying, I was one of the original posters of the above towing thread and ended up getting a trailer shop to run the full 7-pin configuration and add into custom wiring. There are no issues with it voiding your warranty, as the Hyundai manual specifically states to have a qualified trailer shop configure your car for the correct towing setup for your state, as each state is different on electric brake requirements (there are even a few states that don't require electric brakes up to 5K, these are mostly mid-west states that are flat and have no terrain).

But also keep in mind Hyundai/Kia is not the only company giving 4-pin configurations for three-row SUV's that tow in the 5K range. Don't quote me on this, but other brands such as Toyota/highlander, Honda, even Lexus and Acura's only come with 4-pin for similar 3-row SUV's with 5K towing. I think these manufacturers cater to the masses and figure if you are more interested in heavy duty towing, then you most likely are going to go for a truck or Full-size SUV ( Sequoia, Suburban, GMC Tahoe are all SUV's w/7 pin connections but remember they are based off truck platforms). But the 5K towing is a sweet spot for smaller trailers and once a month local trips that our family does.

I think the point I'm trying to get across is you can get a 7-pin configuration done and not void your warranty, I safely tow a 4,100lb trailer trailer without issues. If you need something that is more than 5K towing capacity then a full-size SUV or truck might be the road you want to look at.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the link!

Also I reached out to Hyundai corporate, and yes the 351lb tongue weight is a typo and is supposed to be 500lbs. They are still working on a internal bulletin to address it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts