Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

First Oil Change Tomorrow

14K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  harristhanopoulos 
#1 ·
Having my first "complimentary" oil change tomorrow. I am only at the 4900 mile level, but I am leaving the area for a few months, and will reach 7500 miles when I am gone. Not sure what oil came with the car, but expect that during the so called "complimentary" maintenance of oil change, filter and tire rotation that I will be prompted to go with synthetic oil. What are the thoughts on synthetic at this point? Good way to go, or not necessary extra cost?

#7 ·
From my perspective using synthetic oil in automobiles is an not required in most cases. That is why it is rare to see the auto manufacturers recommend a synthetic-only grade of oil. If the engineers thought it was required, then it would be a requirement. Ipersonally use synthetic for my recreational engines such as my atv and outboards, and my outdoor yard equipment because these engines definitely face more extreme conditions than my automobiles. Being in Canada I have always followed the more frequent oil change frequency the manufacturer recommends and have never had engine or oil consumption issues,,,never.
I would likely use synthetic oils if I was typically hauling a trailer or exposing my vehicle’s engine to more challenging conditions.

As Palisade owners we need to be far more concerned about the potential carbon buildup on the intake valves due to use of Direct Gas Injection (GDI) fuel delivery. This tech definitely increases fuel efficiency however has well the known drawback of carbon buildup due to the absence of the fuel washing effect on the intake valves.
Just my 2 cents.

#8 · (Edited)
Synthetic oil is MUCH better for the engine, and it's so cheap nowadays (especially at Walmart), that is a no-brainer to use it IMO... if you care about your engine :). The main reason to use full synthetic oils (even the group IIIs, like Mobil1, which are not 100% synthetic) is they cling to metal parts, preventing cold-start engine wear (metal to metal contact), especially if you don't use your vehicle every day (which is my case). In addition, it's more resistant to viscosity breakdown, which starts happening almost right away with conventional oils. Not that important in Canada, but in hot climates like TX (where I live), it is. Having said that, using conventional oil, is not going to cause any engine issues. It's just like buying good vs bad food: that might not affect life expectancy, but it does affect health. Is it worth saving about 5 bucks per oil change? Not for me :).

I did my first oil change a little earlier than I typically do it (504 miles, vs 1K), due to a long trip, and it cost me less than $35 with an OEM oil filter, and Mobil1 0/30. Well, I paid $20 more for a GoldPlug MP-02 magnetic drain plug, but it'll last the life of the vehicle. I wouldn't trust a dealer using a good synthetic oil, but that's just me.

#9 ·
Synthetic oil is MUCH better for the engine, and it's so cheap nowadays (especially at Walmart), that is a no-brainer to use it IMO... if you care about your engine :).
Same... Do it myself at home with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic and it's super cheap. I have found that Amazon normally matches Walmart prices on the oil so If you're ever in a time crunch or your local Wally doesn't have it in stock, keep that in mind! I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I at least know my oil is changed the right way and with full synthetic oil.

#13 ·
Dealer told me that complementary oil change is at 7500 mile intervals +/- 1000 miles. So between 6500-8500, 14000-16000, etc. I've got a little less than 6000 miles and going on a trip, so I'll be paying for an early oil change, then get the complementary service around 8000 when I get back.

#15 ·
I had a home based business selling synthetic lubricants for 30 years. Initially, filter technology required a filter change and top up at 6 months. Then it was once a year oil and filter change. I've used it since 1976 and no issues. Example, my 1995 Suburban 4WD, after changing all lubricants to synthetic went from 18.5 mpg (Imp) to 24.5. There were some warranty repairs unrelated to syn lubricants and the dealer would call to say what I sold was better and if I provided the replacement fluid, they would happily install it. Since using syn oils, I've never used a block heater. Public tests I used, with dry ice, showed regular oils looking like popsicles at minus 40, while the synthetic was flowing freely. A last comment, when test Corvette engines started burning out on a test track, it became mandatory in Owners Manuals to use only synthetic in them. BTW...you fly in jets, you are relying on synthetic lubricants. Have installed syn oil in my 21 Calligraphy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.