Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always changed my new vehicles oil at 1000 mile to get the break in oil out and any metal shavings out. My wife was at the local dealer yesterday getting the windows tinted and asked the service adviser how much it would cost to change the oil at 1000 miles instead of waiting for the 7500 service. The service adviser told her Hyundai adds an additive to the oil at production and they want the oil/additive to stay in the engine til at least 5000 miles. So Hyundai does not recommend the first oil change till at least 5k. Has anybody heard this? Any truth to it? Thoughts? This is my first import vehicle so I don't know if they do things different than american auto makers. But was puzzled by the service adviser not wanted to sell a service.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Modern engines don't need the early first oil change. It's a carryover from a by-gone era, just like the "change your oil every 3k miles, no matter what" adage. Just change it on a normal interval. With that said, however, I wouldn't run 7500 oci, either way. Check your owners manual, you'd be surprised that you'll probably end up falling under "severe conditions" by their definition (i.e. normal, every day, real world driving = severe).

·
Registered
230 Posts
per the manual for normal driving conditions its 7500 miles or 1 year and for severe its 3750 miles. I do normal driving but will still do the 3750 .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, according to the manual, every 7,500 miles for "normal" driving. Every 3,750 miles if any of the following conditions apply to your vehicle: (D applies to where I live - Minnesota.)

Severe driving conditions
A-Repeatedly driving short distance of less than 5 miles (8 km)
in normal temperature or less than 10 miles (16 km) in freezing temperature
B-Extensive engine idling or low speed driving for long distances
C-Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or salt spread roads
D-Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in
very cold weather
E-Driving in heavy dust condition
F - Driving in heavy traffic area
G- Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain road repeatedly
H- Towing a Trailer, or using a camper, or roof rack
I -Driving as a patrol car, taxi, other commercial use or vehicle
towing
J - Driving over 106 mph (170 km/h)
K- Frequently driving in stop-and-go conditions

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes, according to the manual, every 7,500 miles for "normal" driving. Every 3,750 miles if any of the following conditions apply to your vehicle: (D applies to where I live - Minnesota.)

Severe driving conditions
A-Repeatedly driving short distance of less than 5 miles (8 km)
in normal temperature or less than 10 miles (16 km) in freezing temperature
B-Extensive engine idling or low speed driving for long distances
C-Driving on rough, dusty, muddy, unpaved, graveled or salt spread roads
D-Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in
very cold weather
E-Driving in heavy dust condition
F - Driving in heavy traffic area
G- Driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain road repeatedly
H- Towing a Trailer, or using a camper, or roof rack
I -Driving as a patrol car, taxi, other commercial use or vehicle
towing
J - Driving over 106 mph (170 km/h)
K- Frequently driving in stop-and-go conditions
Basically, if "traffic" as a general concept applies to you, you fall under "severe". If you somehow strictly drive exclusively at sustained freeway speeds, then congrats, you're "normal" lol...

·
Registered
502 Posts
LOL yeah we all drive in some traffic, we all idle in traffic, and we all warm the car in winter so we're all "Severe". I also take short drives. So around 3000 Miles. Its cheap even if you take it to the dealer. Generally the owners manual is sacrosanct. I saw no mention of any other oil change intervals then severe and normal. Nothing about 500 or 1K or other quick changes. Never going to hurt. As far as regular or synthetic your better of changing more often than going full synthetic. Its not like any oil isn't a manufactured product... Going synthetic is fine as long you don't try to go past service interval. Both are going to break down.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I completely agree with the others as to the severe service definition (applies to most of us). There are several trains of thought. First would be that since the OM doesn't recommend early change, there is no need. Second would be that if there are any "shavings" or other production debris large enough to do any damage, the filter would most likely catch them. Third is with respect to the "additive" added to the factory fill. It has been widely understood for many years the Honda factory fill contains a large dose of molybdenum, and they recommend a full oil change interview for brake-in oil.

It boils down to whatever gives you peace of mind, and none of the above is likely to make a measurable difference in engine life. I will likely change at about 1,500 miles, and add a dose of Liqui Moly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think that break in period where you drive under 50 and change the oil at 1000 is a thing of the past. I don't think there is any break in period. My 04 Expedition got oil changes right at 5K religiously. Never 3K and never more than 5K. Runs perfectly at 305K miles. My wifes Lexus calls for 10K miles oil change interval with Synthetic

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll wait and change it at 3750 since my wifes commute is stop & go traffic.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's letter J for me. o_O

eh, just kidding.

Whether you change at 3750 or 7500, it's more important that your oil level is where it should be, and not too low, which generally on a newer vehicle you won't burn any oil so won't need to add any oil between changes.

And the Koreans finally figured out how to manufacture an engine without leaving rough metal on the edges of the pistons and other engine parts, so you don't need to do a 1,000 mile change either. (little facetious there, but the net result is the same)

I generally run my vehicles until my oil life monitor is around 20% before I start thinking about changing the oil (but have gone as low as 3%). That way I'm not changing oil/filter too early. With modern engines and modern oil, you don't need to be changing oil every 3,000 miles. That is such thing of the past. Even 3700 is too early. Don't believe me? Do a little more research. Seriously, when is the last time you had an engine go out on you because you chose to change oil at the regular interval and not the hazard interval? Yeah, never happened to me either.

I'd vote for a longer oil change interval. That said, with this free oil change promotion on new Hyundai's, every dealership is different. Mine told me they want me to come in every 3,000 miles. I'm probably going to do that, if that is what they want me to do. And I know why they want buyers to come in that soon. Because they haven't adjusted their policies from years ago, and they make lots of money on oil changes, that's why. But when my Palisade's 36K miles are up, and I change oil myself, I use Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic, and change at the 7500 mile interval. After Pennzoil rebates, I get the oil for free and just pay for filters.

Another anecdotal story, then I'll stop. On my mom's 2011 Kia Sportage, which also has a 7500 mile/1 year oil change interval, I actually went 14 months once without changing the oil (she is low milage, under 5k a year). To my surprise, the vehicle didn't explode, and it runs fine to this day, and the oil is clean every time I change it. Point being, don't get so hung up on numbers and thinking you have to do oil changes exactly right or catastrophic things will happen. I'd say follow the oil change monitor, and you'll be fine. But this is the internet, my advice is free, and you are free to believe what you want about this topic.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I generally run my vehicles until my oil life monitor is around 20% before I start thinking about changing the oil (but have gone as low as 3%). That way I'm not changing oil/filter too early. With modern engines and modern oil, you don't need to be changing oil every 3,000 miles. That is such thing of the past. Even 3700 is too early. Don't believe me? Do a little more research. Seriously, when is the last time you had an engine go out on you because you chose to change oil at the regular interval and not the hazard interval? Yeah, never happened to me either.
Before firmly making up your mind on this, I'd recommend doing a little bit more research, specifically in context of our cars having GDI engines. They run a bit different than typical FI engines, and there's a legitimate, non-fear-mongering reasons to err on the side "early" for these kinds of engines. Check forums like bobistheoilguy.com, or even better yet, run your own UOA to find out for sure. Modern oils are VERY good, even "conventional" can last a very long time, this is indeed true -- BUT -- GDI engines have a new problem altogether, going beyond just the oil itself breaking down, which is fuel dilution. But don't take my word for it, go ahead and do more research to find out for sure!

But when my Palisade's 36K miles are up, and I change oil myself, I use Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic, and change at the 7500 mile interval. After Pennzoil rebates, I get the oil for free and just pay for filters.
Again, touching on the same topic, it's fine and well to extend your OCI if you change to synthetic, generally speaking. But, with our engines, synthetic or dino-juice alike, no matter how good the oil is you're still going to get fuel dilution, which is an inevitable side-effect of the engine design itself. So in a sense, you're throwing away your money with synthetic, since you still end up having to change your oil more often..

I'd say follow the oil change monitor, and you'll be fine. But this is the internet, my advice is free, and you are free to believe what you want about this topic.
Our cars don't have an "oil change monitor". Ours just has a simple mileage and number of days/months countdown, it does not actually monitor the life of the oil, as some other cars do. You can set the interval to whatever number you want, so its not exactly a "monitor", just a convenient countdown timer. Just wanted to point that in case anyone makes the mistake of mindlessly/blindly following the interval reminder. For all you know, the oil could be shot, but the timer will still tick away happily.

Sorry if I'm coming across pedantic. I'm a bit of a "maintenance nerd".. but just genuinely trying to be helpful by relaying the few tidbit knowledge I've learned in my own research. Cheers!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Our cars don't have an "oil change monitor".
Oops, my bad. Thinking of my wife's Pacifica and my previous crossover. I actually change by milage and not the oil life monitor, but I do record where the monitor was when I changed the oil.

So in a sense, you're throwing away your money with synthetic, since you still end up having to change your oil more often.
You must have missed the part where I said I get my oil for free after mail in rebate. Conventional oil would actually cost me more, for the rebates are only good for Full Synthetic. Pennzoil does this a couple times a year usually, where the rebates pay for the oil. Since you are up on oil research, you probably know how good Pennzoil Platinum is compared to other synthetics. It's simply one of the best oils you can use in your car. Certainly better than the cheap conventional oil your dealer is going to put in.
Sorry if I'm coming across pedantic. I'm a bit of a "maintenance nerd".. but just genuinely trying to be helpful by relaying the few tidbit knowledge I've learned in my own research.
Yeah, kinda my point. Not necessarily speaking directly to you, but some people waaaay overthink this. I mean, who does an oil analysis? I'm confident over 99% of drivers have never done one, nor do they need to. Follow the manufacturer maintenance schedule. Make sure your oil level is where it should be. And don't think because you went 200 miles over the recommended milage or 1 month past the suggested time that your engine is going to fail. It won't. And I'm not suggesting you always push your oil changes just past the limit. I recommend against that. Personally, I'm actually someone who changes oil early. In my cars with recommended 10,000 mile OCI, I actually change them between 8-9K miles. But changing them at 4-5K miles would just be a waste. My oil comes out so clean as it is on those vehicles.

Do you think Hyundai is wrong to suggest changing oil at 7500 in the Palisade? Curious what problem is likely to develop and at what milage (80K? 120K? 150K?) for an owner who follows Hyundai's recommended 7500 mile oil change interval?

·
Registered
148 Posts
You must have missed the part where I said I get my oil for free after mail in rebate. Conventional oil would actually cost me more, for the rebates are only good for Full Synthetic. Pennzoil does this a couple times a year usually, where the rebates pay for the oil. Since you are up on oil research, you probably know how good Pennzoil Platinum is compared to other synthetics. It's simply one of the best oils you can use in your car. Certainly better than the cheap conventional oil your dealer is going to put in.
And you so very clearly missed my point entirely. My argument isn't synthetic vs. conventional, nor even the cost of it all, necessarily. I'm speaking about the unique properties and the unique considerations we must make as drivers of a GDI engine. It handles oil differently than a FI engine, and I don't want to get bogged down with technicals, but it is what it is. Do with that information as you will, but im not arguing against synthetics, in any way at all.

Do you think Hyundai is wrong to suggest changing oil at 7500 in the Palisade? Curious what problem is likely to develop and at what milage (80K? 120K? 150K?) for an owner who follows Hyundai's recommended 7500 mile oil change interval?
I never said I think it's wrong for Hyundai to suggest 7500 miles OCI. What I know is that based on the wording straight from the horse's mouth (Hyundai via their owner's manual), in that the "ideal driving conditions" required to fall under the 7500 OCI category is far too optimistic and unrealistic. But this isn't a Hyundai problem, per se, every other car manufacturer does the same thing. What I'm saying is that the vaaaast majority of normal, regular folks will fall under the "severe" category, and hence it's recommended to follow the 3750 mile OCI, which is precisely and exactly what Hyundai themselves recommend. Basically, in summary: if you drive in "traffic", then you should change your oil every 3750 miles with conventional. That's what the owner's manual is saying, and that's what I plan to follow. You drive in traffic? Severe conditions. You drive anywhere with stoplights? Severe conditions. You drive different distances in your daily life, including "around town" with shorter distances, from time to time? Sever conditions.

That, coupled with the fact that we have cars that use GDI engines, that makes the case for erring on the side of "early" a bit more compelling. Do whatever you want of course, but I think a few extra oil changes in between is a tiny extra cost for a little bit more peace of mind. If i can help it, I plan to keep my car(s) well past 200,000 miles, if I can; this is my "forever" car. Most of my older used cars I've bought before were WELL over that, so I expect more from a car that I've bought new to last far greater than even that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My wife has a GDI engine with an OLM. She also has a preponderance of very short trips. Often 8 trips a day under two miles. With the stop signs and turns for her trip to work, I've never gotten more than 30,000 miles out of a set of tires.

Apparently, GM's algorithm accounts for both GDI and short trips with cold starts. Her OLM is typically down to 10% at around 2,600 miles.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My wife has a GDI engine with an OLM. She also has a preponderance of very short trips. Often 8 trips a day under two miles. With the stop signs and turns for her trip to work, I've never gotten more than 30,000 miles out of a set of tires.

Apparently, GM's algorithm accounts for both GDI and short trips with cold starts. Her OLM is typically down to 10% at around 2,600 miles.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think we have collectively beat this to death. This is one of those topics that people like to go back and forth on why we should do it one way or the other and want to take us with them.
  • I'll only say not doing at least what is recommended by the manufacturer puts you car and warranty potentially as risk for a very limited savings (the recommendations are based on at least having the car make it though its warranty period and long term customer satisfaction with the model/brand).
  • Remember as well everyone has different drives. People that drive 50-100 highway miles a day are naturally putting much less wear then those that are not .

*To each their own.

·
Registered
80 Posts
And you so very clearly missed my point entirely. My argument isn't synthetic vs. conventional, nor even the cost of it all, necessarily. I'm speaking about the unique properties and the unique considerations we must make as drivers of a GDI engine. It handles oil differently than a FI engine, and I don't want to get bogged down with technicals, but it is what it is. Do with that information as you will, but im not arguing against synthetics, in any way at all.
LOL, no, I didn't miss your point at all. I just don't care to keep going round and round with the same thing. See, we've already upset anthpalisade with a couple of posts each. :) (that's a super short back-n-forth in the online forum world)

And apparently my little anecdote about synthetic oil costing me less than conventional oil confused you. I was simply stating I can buy synthetic at a lower price than conventional oil and educating you and others how to do the same. Please don't read into what I type.

With that, I'm bowing out of this discussion. Enjoy your Palisade.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have always changed my new vehicles oil at 1000 mile to get the break in oil out and any metal shavings out. My wife was at the local dealer yesterday getting the windows tinted and asked the service adviser how much it would cost to change the oil at 1000 miles instead of waiting for the 7500 service. The service adviser told her Hyundai adds an additive to the oil at production and they want the oil/additive to stay in the engine til at least 5000 miles. So Hyundai does not recommend the first oil change till at least 5k. Has anybody heard this? Any truth to it? Thoughts? This is my first import vehicle so I don't know if they do things different than american auto makers. But was puzzled by the service adviser not wanted to sell a service.
Our dealership says 5k. Then every 5k thereafter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.