Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, I have just signed the purchase papers for a 2021 Palisade Calligraphy in white and while doing so the dealer tried to sell me on the extended warranty, specifically a 6 year warranty on the electronics etc for the price of $2000 (she started at 3000). I declined, but was wondering if any of you did take the extra warranty and if anyone really thinks its a good idea? She mentioned the electronics, like the touchscreen are only covered for 3 years. I am in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks!
I recently purchased a Pallisade Limited and purchased a Portfolio extended warranty for 2,000 with $100.00 deductible. Original price 2,500. I was hesitant until I reread the warranty on the electronics and realized that it is 3/36 on the electronics. The vehicle is great but loaded with
Many electronic features that could cause future issues so probably a good investment. Their warranty is very good but is deceiving as to the coverage on the electronics. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys, I have just signed the purchase papers for a 2021 Palisade Calligraphy in white and while doing so the dealer tried to sell me on the extended warranty, specifically a 6 year warranty on the electronics etc for the price of $2000 (she started at 3000). I declined, but was wondering if any of you did take the extra warranty and if anyone really thinks its a good idea? She mentioned the electronics, like the touchscreen are only covered for 3 years. I am in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks!
You don't need and extended warranty. Hyundai has the best warranty on the car in the auto industry

·
Registered
96 Posts
$1,500 for 10 years isnt so bad. The dealer I went to wanted $3,500 for 5 years. She was a little angry when I declined. These people put fear into you. I told her why should I buy an extended warranty? Does Hyundai make a piece of crap car?

·
Registered
126 Posts

Thanks!
I took that warranty out for 10 years and it was $2300 US. Normally I never take extended warranties but considering that I am going to keep this car and thinking about all the electrical stuff it has it would be very expensive to repair. Dollar cost averaging it not too bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We bought the electronics protection. Lots of new stuff, and replacing the dash board or nav panel would be well worth the insurance.
Agreed - I have never bought one - don't believe in them etc - but it was a new model year. That's what prompted me to do it.
Well worth Crystal's price IMHO

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just got a new a 2021 Palisade Limited. Love it so far. I also got the end run after purchase for the extended warranty. I guess that is a personal choice. It works for some, not for others. Make a choice based on what is comfortable for you. I follow the advice and guidance of Consumer Reports who don't suggest any extended warranties for anything. Washing machines, dryers, cars etc. Their view is that the normal warranty will take care of what goes wrong in the first few years anyway. I have never bought an extended warranty on anything and never regretted it. But,hey, whatever melts your butter!!

I have a bigger issue that maybe someone can help or share info. When I bought the Pal I knew it would not come with a CD player; most cars don't anymore. As a former radio/tv engineer, I cringe when I hear what these digital devices put out, in one word....crap. My dealer "thought" that there were aftermarket CD players out there, and to be sure there are, but so far none of them worked! Not sure why. I just tried again today with a NAV unit. It plugged into the USB port, but skipped and would not play. The tech said it worked in about 50% of the time.

So I go out to the general Pal community, does any know of an external CD player that will work in the car? I am not so concerned about fitting it into the dash as I would mount it in the large utility box between the front seats. I have too many CDs and audio books to not be able to use them.

On every survey I filled out from Hyundai, I hit them hard to the lack of a CD player and the teeny tiny coolant and gas gauges!! I don't care a wit about the tachs, and wished they would have made the fuel and coolant gauges a bit bigger! They are too small!

I also howled when I saw the speedometer, it goes to 160!! Who and where would you go 160? In the Great Salt Lake tracks? Too funny.

So, Pal Community, if anyone knows about the CD player situation, please let me know!!

George in Virginia

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks!
We did for the first time ever. There were lots of first with this purchase, not American made, never purchased a first year vehicle run and lots of computers and electronics to break. I wish I’d known that we could shop around but it’s done. Love the car thus far. Happy holidays!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just got a new a 2021 Palisade Limited. Love it so far. I also got the end run after purchase for the extended warranty. I guess that is a personal choice. It works for some, not for others. Make a choice based on what is comfortable for you. I follow the advice and guidance of Consumer Reports who don't suggest any extended warranties for anything. Washing machines, dryers, cars etc. Their view is that the normal warranty will take care of what goes wrong in the first few years anyway. I have never bought an extended warranty on anything and never regretted it. But,hey, whatever melts your butter!!

I have a bigger issue that maybe someone can help or share info. When I bought the Pal I knew it would not come with a CD player; most cars don't anymore. As a former radio/tv engineer, I cringe when I hear what these digital devices put out, in one word....crap. My dealer "thought" that there were aftermarket CD players out there, and to be sure there are, but so far none of them worked! Not sure why. I just tried again today with a NAV unit. It plugged into the USB port, but skipped and would not play. The tech said it worked in about 50% of the time.

So I go out to the general Pal community, does any know of an external CD player that will work in the car? I am not so concerned about fitting it into the dash as I would mount it in the large utility box between the front seats. I have too many CDs and audio books to not be able to use them.

On every survey I filled out from Hyundai, I hit them hard to the lack of a CD player and the teeny tiny coolant and gas gauges!! I don't care a wit about the tachs, and wished they would have made the fuel and coolant gauges a bit bigger! They are too small!

I also howled when I saw the speedometer, it goes to 160!! Who and where would you go 160? In the Great Salt Lake tracks? Too funny.

So, Pal Community, if anyone knows about the CD player situation, please let me know!!

George in Virginia
Have you tried a bluetooth one?

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thanks!
I did not. In North Carolina I think offer was 1920 for full 10 yr warranty. Probably should have taken. Was just tired of spending money.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No it's not. There is a point where your standard warranty runs out, so you're no longer covered if you don't buy an extended warranty. So your comparison isn't valid.

Everyone's situation is different, so there's no reason to argue about this. Ultimately it becomes a financial decision for each of us.

For example, I didn't buy an extended warranty on our Palisade because my wife drives it and she doesn't put many miles on it. Hyundai's standard warranty is long enough and their expected reliability is good enough that I'm unlikely to find myself owing money on a car that requires me to spend a fortune to fix: either I'll still be within the warranty period, or the car will be paid off and I'll be able to choose whether to spend the money on fixing it or buying another.

On the other hand, I would buy one for my daily driver because I drive more than 20K miles/year (or at least, I did before COVID). That means I might reach reliability issues a lot sooner than most. I might find myself in a situation where I still owe money on the car while broken down, and I would rather not have to worry about paying for repairs at that point. Not to mention that it could end up being a difficult financial situation in that particular set of circumstances (I can't predict the future, so who knows, right?).

For those of you who pay off your car right away, maybe that doesn't matter.

The point is, arguing about it doesn't make sense. Extended warranties make sense in some cases, not in others. It's up to everyone to decide.
That's when you get an extended warranty. By the time your standard warranty runs out there should be enough data on recalls, vehicle reliability, quality of build, customer complaints (if any), cost to maintain or replace common vehicle problems that come up for you to make a decision whether or not it would be financially smart to buy an extended warranty or trade-in for another vehicle. Buying an extended warranty right off the bat on a new vehicle is like buying health insurance while your currently covered by your spouse's health insurance. Wait til your spouse if fired, or retires then that's the time to buy health insurance.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
That's when you get an extended warranty. By the time your standard warranty runs out there should be enough data on recalls, vehicle reliability, quality of build, customer complaints (if any), cost to maintain or replace common vehicle problems that come up for you to make a decision whether or not it would be financially smart to buy an extended warranty or trade-in for another vehicle. Buying an extended warranty right off the bat on a new vehicle is like buying health insurance while your currently covered by your spouse's health insurance. Wait til your spouse if fired, or retires then that's the time to buy health insurance.
Except that an extended warranty is a lot cheaper to buy when the car is new than later. Plus, you can roll it into your financing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve never purchased extended warranties either and kept my last car (MB) for 12 yrs, it had some repairs like bushings, wiper mechanism etc but nothing huge.

But with my 1 yr old 2020 Palisade Ltd, I’m concerned about the various electronics like the blind spot camera, warning device sensors, rear lift gate etc. For $1398 from Crystal the 10 yr 100k Platinum seems a reasonable choice.

As per brochure photo, there seems to be plenty of coverage. Not sure what the ’enhanced coverages’ are during the factory warranty. Anyone know?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts