Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have just signed the purchase papers for a 2021 Palisade Calligraphy in white and while doing so the dealer tried to sell me on the extended warranty, specifically a 6 year warranty on the electronics etc for the price of $2000 (she started at 3000). I declined, but was wondering if any of you did take the extra warranty and if anyone really thinks its a good idea? She mentioned the electronics, like the touchscreen are only covered for 3 years. I am in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Search the site for Crystal Burlington Hyundai.
I don't think any dealership as beaten her price yet and you can buy it from any dealership.
I and many others have purchased it. Hope that helps-

·
Registered
27 Posts
Isn't the warranty 5 years bumper to bumper? I assume electronics would be included in that?

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
107 Posts
Hi guys, I have just signed the purchase papers for a 2021 Palisade Calligraphy in white and while doing so the dealer tried to sell me on the extended warranty, specifically a 6 year warranty on the electronics etc for the price of $2000 (she started at 3000). I declined, but was wondering if any of you did take the extra warranty and if anyone really thinks its a good idea? She mentioned the electronics, like the touchscreen are only covered for 3 years. I am in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks!
Isn't the warranty 5 years bumper to bumper? I assume electronics would be included in that?
Maybe different in Canada and I'm wondering if Crystal can help too. I have no idea how warranty works in a different country. However her rate is $1598 for 10 yr/120K miles and $0 deductible. Even though that's slightly over $2000 Canadian, that still beats the 6 year quote he got.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jagger1978, I have literally never paid one cent towards extended warranties for any of my many many purchases over the past decades and as a result have saved many thousands of dollars. If in 4 years, I need to pay for my Palisades radio after the 3 year warranty runs out, so be it. I am still way ahead in this game. Extended warranties are high profit instruments that prey on peoples natural aversion to risk. The only time I would consider an extended warranty if I was contemplating a purchase of a 5 year old luxury German vehicle where a $30k transmission or $40k engine replacement is a very real financial possibility. But who’s kidding, I would never put myself in that type of risk😏

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input everyone. I have never taken the extended warranty in the past as I just didnt see the benefit with the added cost.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did buy 8 yr at dealer cost. If there is no claim, you can get credit towards ext warranty on a new Hyundai or a lesser credit applied to purchase price. There are items not covered for 5 years. It also has value if you sell before the end date (transferable). Lots can potentially go wrong. Rather have the peace of mind and extended coverage..like house insurance but with chance to recover cost. Personal choice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jagger1978, I have literally never paid one cent towards extended warranties for any of my many many purchases over the past decades and as a result have saved many thousands of dollars. If in 4 years, I need to pay for my Palisades radio after the 3 year warranty runs out, so be it. I am still way ahead in this game. Extended warranties are high profit instruments that prey on peoples natural aversion to risk. The only time I would consider an extended warranty if I was contemplating a purchase of a 5 year old luxury German vehicle where a $30k transmission or $40k engine replacement is a very real financial possibility. But who’s kidding, I would never put myself in that type of risk😏
I do own a high-performance Italian car where a spare engine costs $40k, a transmission $15k and turbos $10k so I paid $2k for an extended warranty. Murphy's law states that I will never use it.

On a Kia with a $4k low-performance engine, I would not buy an extended warranty. That thing will run 200k miles with no problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I never buy extended warranties. HOWEVER, I did buy the extended warranty on the Palisade. My dealer offered 10 years/100,000 mile extended warranty that included free oil changes and tire rotations for those 10 years at $2,000. I figured considering the cost of the routine service, the balance was pretty cheap insurance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I never buy extended warranties. HOWEVER, I did buy the extended warranty on the Palisade. My dealer offered 10 years/100,000 mile extended warranty that included free oil changes and tire rotations for those 10 years at $2,000. I figured considering the cost of the routine service, the balance was pretty cheap insurance.
But you already have a 100k mile warranty from the factory and oil changes for three years included. So you paid $2000 for 7 years of oil changes. Assuming you keep the car that long that is $285 per oil change. Seems a bit high.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
But you already have a 100k mile warranty from the factory and oil changes for three years included. So you paid $2000 for 7 years of oil changes. Assuming you keep the car that long that is $285 per oil change. Seems a bit high.
No. The standard warranty is a lot more complicated than that. The 10y/100k miles warranty that comes with the car is power train only (and also non-transferrable, by the way, for those of you considering a used Palisade). Refer to your warranty booklet and you'll see this:

·
Registered
118 Posts
I look at extended warranties as an insurance policy. Just like an insurance policy on your house or car, I'm paying someone else to assume the risk if something goes wrong. I bought an extended warranty for my Palisade (from Crystal) because I usually keep my cars for at least 10 years, and there's a lot of electronics that can go wrong. One way to look at it, if I never have a failure is that I wasted $1598. Using that same logic the Comp and Collision I carry on my cars has been wasted because I haven't made a claim in more than 20 years. That's probably $10K-$15K that some would say was "wasted". I pay cash for my cars so carrying comp and collision is entirely voluntary. Yet I, like I'm sure many of us here, wouldn't think of driving around with a liability only policy. I'm paying for the comfort of knowing that I won't have to pay for a covered failure for the next 10 years. Just my thoughts based on my specific circumstances.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Chuck4049, we will have to agree to disagree on some of our differing positions on extended warranties. I also paid cash for my Palisade and keep my vehicles for 10 years. This is the same for other purchases where extended warranties are offered and pushed, such as appliances and electronics.While extended warranties are a form of insurance, they are intended for people with low risk tolerance, and in most cases do not know what they are exactly purchasing. They are high profit instruments that pay off for a few, but the majority will not even come close to breaking even. When it comes to auto and home insurance, it really is like comparing apples to oranges. I was one of the early adopters in purchasing multi million dollar liability insurance riders. I personally did not feel comfortable with a low probability yet high financial loss risk and therefore do not mind paying for the extra coverage. I will not lose any sleep if I have to pay out a relatively small sum on my Palisade repairs that could have been covered by an extended warranty. As for Comprehensive and Collision Insurance, I feel that they are an excellent and low cost value since I have an excellent record....so far🤞 As I mentioned, I am thousands ahead in the extended warranty “risk” game. I suggest others
look at it from the same perspective. You will be money ahead in the long run.

·
Registered
118 Posts
First it's a bit of an insult to say that anyone making a different value judgement than you have low tolerance and don't know what they are purchasing. I assure you I know exactly what I am purchasing and why I am purchasing it. I'm not advocating for or against extended warranties, just pointing out why I purchased one. For the past 30 years I have owned Lexus automobiles and much of that time my wife and I both drove Lexus automobiles. Reliability of Toyota and Lexus is unquestioned, yet repairs have been needed. My LS460 needed upper and lower control arms replaced at 90,000 miles. Fortunately the nearly $6000 repair was covered by the Lexus certified pre-owned warranty. Same car needed to have a pre-amp replaced for the Levinson stereo system - for nearly $2000. My LS430 developed a leak in the air suspension and needed both front struts replaced - for $2500. All repairs were done by the dealer using new OEM parts. An independent repair shop and aftermarket parts which will be cheaper but may or may not meet OEM quality levels. Not to mention the parts that aren't available aftermarket - specifically the navigation/entertainment components. The $1598 cost of the extended warranty would be recovered with a single repair. I'm glad you've never experienced any significant failures and are thousands ahead but all that savings could disappear with a single repair. I choose not to take that chance. In addition some of the cost of the extended warranty can be recovered since it can be transferred to a subsequent buyer.

As for auto and home insurance, very few people come close to breaking even on those policies either.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Chuck, so your comparing a high mileage luxury car extended warranty with a main stream new vehicle. I mentioned this example as a potential exception to purchasing an extended warranty in my first response. i totally stand behind my words. I have always stayed away from purchasing vehicles that have the potential to have extremely costly repairs, like you yourself have experienced. Your mass production Palisade is in a totally different class to the limited production, basically one of a kind LS’s you have owned. Take care.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I never buy extended warranties. It's like buying personal health insurance even though you're covered by your spouse's health insurance.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I never buy extended warranties. It's like buying personal health insurance even though you're covered by your spouse's health insurance.
No it's not. There is a point where your standard warranty runs out, so you're no longer covered if you don't buy an extended warranty. So your comparison isn't valid.

Everyone's situation is different, so there's no reason to argue about this. Ultimately it becomes a financial decision for each of us.

For example, I didn't buy an extended warranty on our Palisade because my wife drives it and she doesn't put many miles on it. Hyundai's standard warranty is long enough and their expected reliability is good enough that I'm unlikely to find myself owing money on a car that requires me to spend a fortune to fix: either I'll still be within the warranty period, or the car will be paid off and I'll be able to choose whether to spend the money on fixing it or buying another.

On the other hand, I would buy one for my daily driver because I drive more than 20K miles/year (or at least, I did before COVID). That means I might reach reliability issues a lot sooner than most. I might find myself in a situation where I still owe money on the car while broken down, and I would rather not have to worry about paying for repairs at that point. Not to mention that it could end up being a difficult financial situation in that particular set of circumstances (I can't predict the future, so who knows, right?).

For those of you who pay off your car right away, maybe that doesn't matter.

The point is, arguing about it doesn't make sense. Extended warranties make sense in some cases, not in others. It's up to everyone to decide.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I too, am not a big fan of extended warranties but... After much thought, I decided to get one from Crystal as recommended by so many on here. My reason may be a bit different than others and wanted to share in case someone is in my situation and is indecisive.

I paid cash for my Limited and I am thinking of retiring in the next year or two. I can afford it now so why not just "suck it up" and pay for it now so I can be worry-free during my retirement years?

The thing that pushed me over the edge is that it is refundable or a pro-rated basis plus a $75.00 service fee. Piece of mind? Yep, that is what it is all about!

·
Registered
32 Posts

Thanks!
We bought the electronics protection. Lots of new stuff, and replacing the dash board or nav panel would be well worth the insurance.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks!
I bought a 2021 Limited. Paid $2000.00 for the extended warranty. Great deal. Hawaii.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts