Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just spent 13 weeks living on our 2020 SEL. Our total miles driven, was about 14,000 in total. We left Eastern Maine at the start of October, and headed west all the way to the California Coast, spending most of our time in the SW desert, Utah, and central California. From almost 100 degree temperatures in Death valley, to some pretty serious snow storms encountered crossing the Colorado Rockies, this thing held it's own with no problems. We slept 50 nights in the tent, at 15 National parks and a bunch of State and County parks as well. We had to resort to a few hotels and motels along the way due to weather (it's getting cold out there!) and needing showers and such. But we managed to almost totally isolate from other people for 3 full months!
We outfitted the car with a pair of cheap Amazon crossbars and a borrowed Yakima Space Case for the roof. Fully loaded, the vehicle was still super anonymous and undercover, and could be parked anywhere. With a light coating of dirt, it disappeared in any parking lot in the country, and never drew any attention (unlike the thousands of VanLife "Influencers" driving around out there). There were three of us in the car, so we folded the 3rd row flat, I removed the Driver's side 2nd row seat, so I could place our 12v Iceco refrigerator there (they are HUGE!), and the rest of our mission supplies were stowed in the back. I placed our Rockpals folding solar panel up on the roof when we were parked, and that helped to keep our 500w battery charged (it was plugged into the 120v outlet on the back of the center console while driving, and the 12v fridge plugged into the battery. This battery kept the laptop and 3 phones and 3 iPads charged up too. Our school provided us with an Android tablet AT&T hotspot that provided pretty descent WiFi for most of the time. I thought Hyundai had overdone it with the USB ports and stuff, but we used them all multiple times!
This car holds a LOT of stuff, once you figure out how to pack it. It is definitely designed a little more for luxury than utility, but overall it is a great platform for adventure. We didn't have a single mishap the whole trip. No road hazards, accidents, getting stuck off road or anything. Well, we did have the car towed in Des Moines, but we should have known not to go into Iowa..... Both of the plastic 3rd-row seatbelt clips have broken-off from the rear fenders (they get snagged on stuff and just shattered) and we lost both of the sun visor retaining clips from the passenger's side 2nd row. I think The Kid was fidgeting with them for hours on end... And one piece of exterior door trim is now loose, but should pop right back on. Overall, I got about 25 MPG average, and I would say I used the full cruise control/auto assist package 90% of the time. I cannot state clearly enough how great this technology is for long-distance driving! allowing the car to handle the monotony of keeping in the lane and always monitoring the front lets me focus on everything else around me, and really kept me from getting zoned-out staring out in front of the car. I find I watch the mirrors and the other vehicles a lot more, and the computer keeps the speed constant, so at the end of a long travel day, we have made many more miles with less fuel. I even made a few photos from the driver's seat (which, obviously, could be a terrible idea) I will definitely buy the Full self-driving package when I go over to a Tesla!
The only issues we had were pretty simple- you can't go through a car wash with this thing with a roof box on it (or into a garage) so you either need to find a hand-wash or a use a self-spray place. Car washes are a real thing on this sort of trip, as the car gets super filthy when you live out of it! Plus, a lot of dirt roads and campgrounds and morning dew and a little rain, the thing gets wicked gross in a hurry. The other issue is there seems to be no way to deactivate the sound effects- The beeping upon locking and unlocking, and worst of all, the rear liftgate alarm! You have no idea how many times a day 3 people use the liftgate until you live together for 13 weeks in quiet campgrounds!
Overall, this is the ultimate road trip vehicle. A perfect balance of comfort and utility, performance and efficiency with total reliability and security. Over the years, I have road-tripped in many vehicles, from a 1973 Datsun station wagon to a Vanagon Synchro, and I can't think of a better choice for this kind of trip than the Palisade. It is a wonderful thing to have a car that just just starts
IMG_3745.jpg
IMG_4386.jpg
IMG_4137.jpg
and goes every time, for months on end- makes it almost worth the hassles of living in the future! I'd be interested to hear of anyone else making extended road trips with their Palisade.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great write up & pics. We do a lot of camping too and I hear you about the rear hatch warning beeps. Thanks for sharing the adventure.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Great post! Will be sharing with my wife. 3 in the Pali sounds manageable. I have 3 and they are 8 years and younger... Would still love to do this with a pop-up roof tent.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Wow, that sounds like it was an amazing trip, definitely thanks for sharing! We have a seasonal property which is approx 900miles each way and need to haul lots of stuff so that is exactly why we bought a bigger SUV with the new tech to make the drive easier. You mentioned needing a tow in Iowa. Was this a breakdown? Thanks again!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds like quite the adventure. I plan to take a number of 1 week to 10 day camping trips as well. I purchased a Yakima 21 cf cargo box to help with cargo. That box is huge. We have 2 cats, a 55 lb. dog and 2 adults usually. Occasionally 1 or 2 grandsons will join us. We've done this in a Jeep Cherokee so I welcome the larger SUV and large cargo box.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
527 Posts
Car towed in Des Moines? Because of mechanical issue? Or did parking police get you?

·
Registered
2021 SEL Silver Lagoon with bench seat
161 Posts
Thank you for sharing all of that. What an amazing trip and I bet your kid will remember it for the rest of his life.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts