Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2020 AWD Palisade SEL (Lagoon Silver/BlackBlack) with Conv
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Open rear hatch.. insert stuff (including key) clock hatch. and you are locked out. (best to practice this when at neighborhood pool in easy walking distance)

Meh.. both our Honda Odyssey and Subaru Outback wouldn't do this, as unlocking the rear hatch unlocks all of the doors.

From the kids point of view, definitely wish this was the case.. ie. they went to the trouble to add hands-free opening on the rear.. it should extend that feature to unlock the car too.

·
Super Moderator
1,094 Posts
I tried it on mine and the button on the hatch still opened it back up.
When I closed the hatch the car started its whistle noise, Then I
touched the hatch button , not only opened back up but the front
doors unlocked by it self because the key was inside.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
dunno.. I know what I (accidentally) accomplished :)

I could not get the rear to open with the button above the license plate.. nor would my front door unlock by pressing the button.

EDIT: based on your post, I went outside to try it again.. I couldn't re-create. I can say I did NOT get the whistle noise.. so it would seem it could not detect the key being inside (it was in side the plastic pool bag (ie. glorified ziploc waterproof bag) with my phone. Definitely not any kid of RF/isolation to it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am able to recreate.. had to use the bag...

no phone needed (ie. not interference from the phone). I was able to auto-open the rear tailgate simply by walking up (key in this bag), then closed the tailgate with the button on the tailgate... but once the key+bag was inside the car, it could not detect the key... so that is bad.

EDIT: I was placing this in the very rear of the drivers side.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure.. But only on limited trim or SEL with drive guidance package

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited AWD Burgundy/Beige
63 Posts
Interesting.

What happens when key is in that bag and you press the FOB buttons on it outside the car? Does it still work?
Of course the bag doesn’t have to interfere with the functionality of the FOB, it just has to interfere with the proximity sensor’s interpretation of the key being inside or outside the car, which is a pretty small difference when you read the specs....I’d guess plus or minus 2-3 feet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
inside the bag, the buttons work from 20 ft away. I also cannot detect any noticeable delta on pressing the door lock/unlock button with the key in the bag (ie. works as long as key is within ~3 ft of the door).

so the only delta I see (so far) is the proximity sensor detecting inside vs. outside. I have not tried other interior locations (yet), but I will.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This happened to me when I used the hand free, put my beach bag in the trunk and thought I had the key fob in my purse when I shut the rear hatch with the button. I do not remember the long signal that my husband and I got when we tried this at home. In my defense, I only had the car a few days, so don't know all of the signals yet. I also have never had a car that would lock with the key fob inside. Anyways, I got locked out. Unfortunately, I don't have BlueLink, which is who I ended up talking to when I called the roadside assistance. By the way, it took 30 minutes to actually speak to a person. I wish there was some way I could change the settings so it won't lock the trunk with the key fob right inside.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited AWD Burgundy/Beige
63 Posts
This is not a flaw with the proximity sensors, but rather a flaw with the whole locking system.

Why would the trunk lock itself after just opening?

My G90 had the close button on the trunk lid that the Palisade has, but it also had the Lock button right beside which gave the command to secure the vehicle as the last step before walking away from the vehicle.

I miss that button.

I don’t get why Hyundai would keep the trunk locked out after opening.

I would expect that after securing the car and returning, that any door I first enter will remain in an unlocked state until I hit the lock-all command again, hatch back included.

This is a logic flaw and software issue not a FOB or sensor issue. Although it could be solved with an additional proximity sensor, the real issue is the logic.

I turned Smart Assist on to help remind me that my FOB is in my golf bag. I will surely get locked out at some point. And there is a good chance my iPhone will be in the same pocket...causing a big PITA event until Hyundai updates the software.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is not a flaw with the proximity sensors, but rather a flaw with the whole locking system.

Why would the trunk lock itself after just opening?

My G90 had the close button on the trunk lid that the Palisade has, but it also had the Lock button right beside which gave the command to secure the vehicle as the last step before walking away from the vehicle.

I miss that button.

I don’t get why Hyundai would keep the trunk locked out after opening.

I would expect that after securing the car and returning, that any door I first enter will remain in an unlocked state until I hit the lock-all command again, hatch back included.

This is a logic flaw and software issue not a FOB or sensor issue. Although it could be solved with an additional proximity sensor, the real issue is the logic.

I turned Smart Assist on to help remind me that my FOB is in my golf bag. I will surely get locked out at some point. And there is a good chance my iPhone will be in the same pocket...causing a big PITA event until Hyundai updates the software.
What is Smart Assist?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there a good way to report it?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks, I have reported this.

So there is a "bug" in that the key is not detected inside the car. At a minimum Hyundai needs to fix this.

and there definitely should be more user configurability of the locking. I'm not going to say their choices are invalid, but it's definitely NOT what I would choose. ie. much prefer to unlock by default. Personally, the only time I want it to lock is when I push the button myself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Predictably, Hyundai wants me to take it to the dealer.. not feeling up to spending 2 hours of my time to help them fix their bug which I've clearly described to them save for their unwillingness to take it seriously. I'll wait until my 1st free oil change and do it then.

·
Registered
268 Posts
So I just conducted my own experiment on my Limited. I first insured that the car was locked (all four doors) I then opened the rear hatch and tossed in the key. I then closed the rear hatch via the close button on the hatch. I then heard an audible alarm coming from inside the vehicle and the distinctive sound of the doors unlocking. I then used the rear button to raise the rear hatch and then confirmed that the doors (all four) were indeed unlocked. I did the above three more times to confirm my observation. The bottom line is that you CANNOT lock yourself out of the Limited variant. I cannot attest to any of the other trim levels.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I just conducted my own experiment on my Limited. I first insured that the car was locked (all four doors) I then opened the rear hatch and tossed in the key. I then closed the rear hatch via the close button on the hatch. I then heard an audible alarm coming from inside the vehicle and the distinctive sound of the doors unlocking. I then used the rear button to raise the rear hatch and then confirmed that the doors (all four) were indeed unlocked. I did the above three more times to confirm my observation. The bottom line is that you CANNOT lock yourself out of the Limited variant. I cannot attest to any of the other trim levels.
Not apples to apples... you need to put your key inside something.. exactly what qualifies for that something isn't clear yet.. in my case it was a glorified ziploc bag (ie. for phones at the pool/beach).. (see post #4 in the thread)

Now I'm not saying it should penetrate a lead-lined bag or anything :) but I would think this would happen with many styles of purses, etc. And/or to be equal, if it can detect my key outside the car (ie. I did not remove my key from the bag) to open the rear hatch, then it should still be able to detect the same key inside the same bag when it is inside the car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts