Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
673 Posts
I didn’t have a consistent gap on any panel. Easily one of the worst tolerances I’ve ever seen on a modern vehicle. I’d be interested in seeing this area on others vehicles. I’m seeing 4 different panel gaps tolerances here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that I'm looking over the entire car in my detail it's pretty bad. The hood is shifted to the passenger side and the rear hatch towards the drivers. If I didn't know any better I would say this thing over torqued itself and slightly twisted.

·
Banned
673 Posts
Tesla = well they are building cars in tents. My buddy at work has a dual motor 3. It’s pretty incredible to me. Doesn’t fit the way I drive though.

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
The gaps on my Palisade are really good. In fact look better than the Genesis G90 I got rid of
I'm beginning to think the door alignments are some of the problems with wind noise.
I noticed several Palisades the doors didn't look like they were in smooth with the rest of the car
stuck out past fender

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I noticed several Palisades the doors didn't look like they were in smooth with the rest of the car
stuck out past fender
Some of the more recent recommendations for addressing wind noise have been to adjust the door in and the people that have had that done have been reporting success.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My hood panel alignment was pretty out of whack, a gap on the passenger side that was easily twice what was on the driver side. Luckily I was directed to the bumper/adjustments that are on the underside of the hood. Once I started playing around with those I got the gap aligned on both sides and from the top of the grill to the front of the hood all pretty much even.

You could probably say I shouldn't have even had to do that, and it took adjusting one of the rubber pieces all the way in versus the other all the way out...but as long as its aligned now I guess I don't care.

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
I don't regret buying mine, I'm rather happy with what I got for the price I paid.
The gaps around my palisade are very well done for this price point, I have the limited.
Always do a good walk around and look at things that would bother you, get them
taken care of before purchase, or get a different Palisade.
Don't forget to take the Palisade for a good test drive, even at a higher speed not just slow.
Check the interior really well, nothing scratched, missing or out of line.
Some Palisades have wind noise and some don't so don't settle for one you can't live with
Best to read up on the Palisade, make sure you are getting what you want. Make a check list of things you want or must have. Go to Hyundai web site and check the equipement included on each trim level. If SEL look at the features included in each add on.
So many people purchase the SE or SEL trim and then say" why doesn't it have puddle lights, HUD,HDA or other features which are on a higher trim or a package you need to add to SEL.
Do a little home work and you will be more than happy

·
Banned
673 Posts
Jivtesh, you're right. Go buy a Highlander. They're the BEST cars in the world and I really wish I bought a Highlander instead of my Palisade.
I don’t know that this is great advice. Every vehicle has issues. I think it comes down to how they are handled and something more qualitative like issues per 1K cars.

54,588 Palisades sold 62 complaints = 1.14 complaints per 1K cars
88,899 Tellurides sold 122 complaints = 1.37 complaints per 1K cars
101,148 Explorers sold 63 complaints = .62 complaints per 1K cars
79,071 Highlanders sold 10 complaints = .13 complaints per 1K cars
54,815 Pilots sold 52 complaints = .95 complaints per 1K cars
52,409 Traverses sold 4 complaints = .08 complaints per 1K
8,653 X7 sold 2 complaints per .23 complaints per 1K cars

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I don’t know that this is great advice. Every vehicle has issues. I think it comes down to how they are handled and something more qualitative like issues per 1K cars.

54,588 Palisades sold 62 complaints = 1.14 complaints per 1K cars
88,899 Tellurides sold 122 complaints = 1.37 complaints per 1K cars
101,148 Explorers sold 63 complaints = .62 complaints per 1K cars
79,071 Highlanders sold 10 complaints = .13 complaints per 1K cars
54,815 Pilots sold 52 complaints = .95 complaints per 1K cars
52,409 Traverses sold 4 complaints = .08 complaints per 1K
8,653 X7 sold 2 complaints per .23 complaints per 1K cars

View attachment 1641 View attachment 1642

View attachment 1637 View attachment 1639 View attachment 1640 View attachment 1638
View attachment 1643
Comparing apples and oranges again. It’s amazing how you never learn.

The Palisade and Telluride are first-year models. None of the others are. They may get redesigned or refreshed but they’re not starting from scratch. For example, the Traverse first went on sale for model year 2009. I don’t have the sales numbers per model year, only calendar year: 9.5K sold in 2008, 91K sold in 2009, which includes model year 2010. So take half of 91k, + 9.5K, that’s 55K units for model year 2009. There are 426 complaints for that model year on NHTSA. That’s 7.74 complaints per 1K car. The Palisade and Telluride look great by comparison, for a first year model.

You’re bad at data analysis.

·
Banned
673 Posts
Eric, once again I think you’re confused here. I was merely trying to show that the 2020 Hyundai motors offerings are 8 to 10 times more likely to have a defect than their 2020 SUV counterparts. Not discussing first year models or any other metric, just vehicles you can buy right now, not taking a time machine to go buy in the past. If I was in the market to buy now I would avoid a Hyundai motors product. Specifically a palisade or Italian right. I’m hoping that 2021 is better for you guys.

The Toyota Highlander, Ford Explorer have majors changes to their vehicles and the BMW is in year 2. And yes, I’m terrible at analytics....remember I bought a Palisade. In my defense there wasn’t that much data out there for the issues. Now that I see the number is 8 to 10 times worse for the 2 Hyundai motors offerings I may have thought twice. We can chalk that up to first year ignorance and Hyundai learning to build a near luxury vehicle with so much technology - but qualitatively you CAN say that the Hyundai Motors offerings are statistically more problematic. I believe that this will impact resale as well but who knows. Car markets will be disrupted for years post-Covid.

I also have some concerns about the new issues that are popping up with:

• stinky seats
  • failing A/C compressors
  • glitching side/rear view cameras

Hope that this helps someone make a more data-based decision and sincerely hope the 2021’s get sorted.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I was merely trying to show that the 2020 Hyundai motors offerings are 8 to 10 times more likely to have a defect than their 2020 SUV counterparts
That's not actually what that data shows. There is no control for different groups being aware of the site, choosing to report, etc, nor is there any validation of issues. While it's a useful tool for seeing if others are reporting similar problems and to learn what to look out for, trying to make claims about rates of defects from it is pointless.

There are people on here and the kia forums actively linking to it, telling people to go post their issues. Of course that is going to disproportionately skew the numbers.

·
Banned
673 Posts
I think it’s a good and fair comparison of many 2020 vehicles and associated issues. Definitely open to seeing others data as well. I do this at work as well so I’m very comfortable with challenging conversations. It’s easier when you just stay grounded in data versus feelings. It was also VERY helpful in how I handled my Palisade issues with Hyundai. Data is your friend.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts