Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

Disable auto start

118K views 298 replies 72 participants last post by  23calligraphy 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Any way to PERMANENTLY disable stop/start? Yes, I know there is a button on the dash; however, it is annoying to push every start. Plus, I do not trust my wife is doing this, either.

#133 ·
I also asked if they could look into making a memory function module for the Parking Distance Warning system. Each time you shift from reverse, to park or forward and then back to reverse the system is reactivated. Very much a pain in the backside when trailering. Especially when trying to navigate into a tight parking space and need to shift forward and reverse several times

#138 ·
Any way to PERMANENTLY disable stop/start? Yes I know there is a button on the dash however it is annoying to push every start up plus I do not trust my wife is doing this either.
Might try this, unplug the switch that tells the computer the hood is open. I have a Jeep Cherokee and did this to mine and it works fine but there is a small light that comes on the dash sometimes. At least I do not have to push the button to disengage the start/stop function every time I crank the vehicle. Hope this works for you!

#140 ·
I discovered that inserting a small black zip tie (or cable tie) into the gap next to the autostop/start button works perfectly for keeping the button depressed. Insert the tie and trim off the excess leaving a little exposed so that you can grab it with pliers in case you need to remove it. Use black color and it blends right in with the background.

#141 ·
I like the ziptie idea, always have those handy and will give them a shot on the wife's Limited. Seems like alot of fanboys in this thread, apparently none of them live where it's hot & humid majority of the year. Sure the temp doesn't "technically" change inside the car at a redlight with auto-start with it being 100deg & 100% humidity... But NOT having cold air blowing on you, you will immediately begin to sweat. I don't know anyone that loves to sweat while driving in their vehicle.

Reactions: rupe
#153 ·
Well, for about $70, you can add a module that will remember your last selected position and keep it that way. So if you turn it off today, it'll be off tomorrow and the next day, and until you turn it back on. The same module also does the same thing for the auto hold button.

#157 ·
Has anyone installed the Shark Racing module? I don't mind splicing wires, but I don't want to tear apart the dash and have to splice wires too. If it gets too messy I won't bother.

I also don't want to live with a janky looking mod by having a piece of plastic stuck next to the button and also to see the button sitting lower than the surrounding buttons. It's just me being anal about things, but I won't be sticking a credit card or a zip tie into the button gap to disable the feature.

I don't like the shuddering and split second pause and lurch on startups. I try to remember to disable the feature every time I start the car, but I do forget at times too.

#159 ·
One of the conditions that must be met for the ISG system to stop the engine is "adequate brake pressure." I've found it very easy to control the system by the amount of pressure I apply to the brake pedal. After coming to a stop, simply let up a little bit on the brake and the engine will continue to run but there is adequate brake pressure to keep the vehicle from moving. I find this technique very useful when coming to a stop at a traffic light that I know has been red for a while and will change soon, or when stopping behind traffic that hasn't started moving even though the light just turned green. I can stop the enigne when I want, or keep it running, simply by varying my foot pressure.

#160 ·
Yeah same and I use it at 4-ways, etc. Other than that I have no issue with it shutting off. But I wish my MINI was the same with brake pressure, it does not sense that.

Anyways, I am amazed by how many want to tear into the dash or whatever and install a part that who knows what will happen with it down the road. Most likely nothing. But I guess my point is, it only takes .69 seconds to turn it off when you get in the car. I guess I personally don't see it as an issue but just my experience.

#179 ·
My 21 ISG is so smooth I have to check the tach. If creeping in traffic and only apply light brake pressure, does not shut down. Firm braking to a stop, it does. Vehicle restarts before my foot reaches the gas. I expect some issues have to do with driving style but then I learned to drive in 1947 before all these bells and whistles, air conditioning, automstic transmissions, et al.

#186 ·
I have never owned a car with either ISG or Auto-Hold, so these features are really new to me. Maybe once I really get accustomed to them and remember the push the Auto-Hold button each time I start the car, it will be easier. Right now I end up stopping at 4 or 5 traffic lights before I remember my car has the Auto-Hold feature. But I'm kinda liking convenience. People like to push one button one time to readjust the seats to the way they like them, why not have your car remember your preference with Auto-Hold and ISG? Not to mention I need to tear into my console to route some wiring for the LED's I want to install in the cup holder area.

#188 ·
I also do not like the auto shut/restart function, sometimes find it lurches a bit and concerns me about wear and tear on the starter, there must be a way to retire the switch to work in reverse. Make it so if you want to use the function you can enable it instead of continually having to disable it.

#192 ·
I guess the funny thing here Eric is you seem to think we care about your personal opinion on the matter. Fact is we went from buying cars where every option was pay per order to every option being included. If I don’t like the rims on an Ultimate, I can change them but I don’t try and ram my opinion on everyone that do like those rims. All that most people are asking is a way to permanently disable the auto stop/ start option so if you dont have a solution then just move on and stop being a key board warrior trying to tell us why we are hilarious for not wanting it.
It does not add wear and tear. The starter is not the same as what you would found on a car without this feature. Do your research and inform yourself. You are incorrect.

This is not the same as rims. Rims are about the car’s looks. ISG is a feature of the car. It’s fine I’d you don’t like it but don’t claim it adds wear and tear, that it makes the temperature inside the car too hot or any of the other BS I’ve seen posted here. Why this feature defaults to on has been explained multiple times.

#198 ·
I just ease off a bit on the brake and it starts smoothly, and just keep your foot pressing lightly on the brake until your ready to move. Never experienced a lurch or any similar. My guess, issue is with driver getting familar with how it senses based on brake pressure. I can coast to a stop with light brake pressure and engine keeps running.

#205 ·
There's a detailed list of things that prevent the engine from shutting off when the system is engaged on one of the Santa Fe forums. External temperature, brake pressure, seatbelts, all sorts of things.

But unless you are prepared to install the aforementioned wiring module, there is no way to default the system to off when the car starts. Having it on by default is a specific part of the California law that requires all vehicles made after a certain year to have the "feature". And Hundai has already stated they won't custome anything for inter-US regions.

#208 ·
There is a pretty detailed list in the Palisade Owner's manual as well on page 5-50.
Prerequisite for activation
The ISG system operates in the following situations.
  • The driver's seatbelt is fastened.
  • The driver's door and the hood are closed.
  • The brake vacuum pressure is adequate.
  • The battery is sufficiently charged.
  • The outside temperature is between 14 °F and 95 °F (-10 °C and 35 °C).
  • The engine coolant temperature is not too low.
  • The system is not in the diagnostic mode.
  • The incline is gradual.
  • Steering wheel is turned less than 180 degrees
  • Shift lever is in DRIVE or NEUTRAL

I've also read that if the A/C blower is set at the highest speed, it won't activate either, but can't find that in my manual

#209 ·
2021 Manual says:
Prerequisite for activation
The ISG system operates in the following situations.
• The driver's seatbelt is fastened
• The driver's door and hood are closed
• The brake vacuum pressure is adequate
• The battery sensor is activated and the battery is sufficiently charged
• Outside temperature is not too low or too high
• The vehicle is driven over a constant speed and stops
• The climate control system satisfies the conditions
• The vehicle is sufficiently warmed up
• The incline is gradual
• The steering wheel is turned less than 180 degrees and then the vehicle stops