Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

141 - 160 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the ziptie idea, always have those handy and will give them a shot on the wife's Limited. Seems like alot of fanboys in this thread, apparently none of them live where it's hot & humid majority of the year. Sure the temp doesn't "technically" change inside the car at a redlight with auto-start with it being 100deg & 100% humidity... But NOT having cold air blowing on you, you will immediately begin to sweat. I don't know anyone that loves to sweat while driving in their vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
395 Posts
I like the ziptie idea, always have those handy and will give them a shot on the wife's Limited. Seems like alot of fanboys in this thread, apparently none of them live where it's hot & humid majority of the year. Sure the temp doesn't "technically" change inside the car at a redlight with auto-start with it being 100deg & 100% humidity... But NOT having cold air blowing on you, you will immediately begin to sweat. I don't know anyone that loves to sweat while driving in their vehicle.
I don't know if she likes it, but my wife always sweats when I'm driving...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
But you don't have 100 degree days with 100% humidity every single day of the year. That's precisely why there's a button to disable the system when the circumstances require that.

It also won't shut the engine off if the AC is needed: that's a feature built in the system.

The discussion revolves around disabling it completely. Not about corner cases like 100 F / 100% humidity days.

Maybe refrain from calling people who disagree with you "fanboys". Particularly when you're not really bringing anything to the conversation with your corner case example.

·
Registered
6 Posts
But you don't have 100 degree days with 100% humidity every single day of the year. That's precisely why there's a button to disable the system when the circumstances require that.

It also won't shut the engine off if the AC is needed: that's a feature built in the system.

The discussion revolves around disabling it completely. Not about corner cases like 100 F / 100% humidity days.

Maybe refrain from calling people who disagree with you "fanboys". Particularly when you're not really bringing anything to the conversation with your corner case example.
Why would I want to hit the button 90% of the time?? There should be a way to disable it, per the reason for this thread and my post thanking people about the business card idea. Obviously the car DOES turn the engine off when the AC is needed, hence the reason for my post. Obviously it's not 100deg and 100% humidity year round, kind of figured that was common sense and just used as an example. You have failed to realize it's consistently humid here and just because the temp doesn't change doesn't mean AC is not needed. I've read this entire thread and you don't seem to bring much to the table other than excuses why it's not needed to permanently disable it.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Why would I want to hit the button 90% of the time?? There should be a way to disable it, per the reason for this thread and my post thanking people about the business card idea. Obviously the car DOES turn the engine off when the AC is needed, hence the reason for my post. Obviously it's not 100deg and 100% humidity year round, kind of figured that was common sense and just used as an example. You have failed to realize it's consistently humid here and just because the temp doesn't change doesn't mean AC is not needed. I've read this entire thread and you don't seem to bring much to the table other than excuses why it's not needed to permanently disable it.
I'm not really sure what else you're looking for here... this thread has the explanation as to why it is the way it is (emissions requirements/fuel economy reporting that requires these systems to permanently default on from the manufacturer if they're used during testing), two mechanical overrides (zip tie/business card), a link to an aftermarket plug in solution, and discussion about how to modify the electronics if you wanted to yourself.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I don't believe for one second that you need to turn this off 90% of the time. You're exaggerating wildly. You're not the only one who has experienced hot weather and humidity. I've experienced the car restarting itself at a red light because it needed to continue cooling the cabin. The 30s or 1m that it's off in-between will not affect you that much. Your car is somewhat isolated from the outside after all, it doesn't just get hot and humid instantly without AC.

There is no way to disable it because EPA estimates for this car were calculated with it on. So it needs to be on.

You can call my posts excuses all you want, but all I see are ridiculous reasons why people want to turn it off. It's true that it saves on gas, it's not true that it causes more wear and tear on your engine and it's not true that 30s without AC at a red light will affect you that badly if the engine turns off. The only somewhat valid reason is disliking the slight jerk that happens when the car restarts itself at a light. But this is one of the smoothest systems out there. I don't even notice it anymore. I've experienced far worse start/stop systems. If you want to discuss this, then fine, but don't tell me you start boiling in your car at a red light because your engine shut off. That's just ridiculous. I mean... do you never step outside for longer than 30s where you live?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not really sure what else you're looking for here... this thread has the explanation as to why it is the way it is (emissions requirements/fuel economy reporting that requires these systems to permanently default on from the manufacturer if they're used during testing), two mechanical overrides (zip tie/business card), a link to an aftermarket plug in solution, and discussion about how to modify the electronics if you wanted to yourself.
Yep, I'll be doing the ziptie method this evening. Sounds a little easier for me since have on hand and black. Excited to do it for now, will dig into electronical override down the road for a more permanent solution.

My reply was mainly to add in my original post was that temperature change inside doesn't matter, it's the humidity is why we prefer to keep AC on which seems to be be overlooked by manufacturers. By same token (obviously doesn't apply in this situation), but humidity does the opposite as well. Makes being outside feel way "sharper" cold than in places with no or little humidity.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My reply was mainly to add in my original post was that temperature change inside doesn't matter, it's the humidity is why we prefer to keep AC on which seems to be be overlooked by manufacturers.
It's worth mentioning that I moved from very high heat/low humidity (basically Mojave desert) to hot and high humidity (central Florida) since procuring my Palisade. I find the start/stop to be the least intrusive system I have ever used and except for on the hottest of days have no problem letting it stay engaged. What does, however, make a world of difference regarding the heat on those really hot days, be it humid or dry, is a good IR blocking window tint on the windshield.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's worth mentioning that I moved from very high heat/low humidity (basically Mojave desert) to hot and high humidity (central Florida) since procuring my Palisade. I find the start/stop to be the lease intrusive system I have ever used and except for on the hottest of days have no problem letting it stay engaged. What does, however, make a world of difference regarding the heat on those really hot days, be it humid or dry, is a good IR blocking window tint on the windshield.
I agree it's not near as bad as many other autostart systems I've driven, but does drive my wife and I a little crazy when it hot and humid outside and the AC blows less than ideal cold air. I've always had tint on my windshield for past 20yrs, love it. 50% makes all the world of difference and as you know at night reduces the glare as well. I really need to look into getting the wife's Palisade done sooner than later, just have to find someone here to do it since not legal in Louisiana

·
Registered
890 Posts
I've always had tint on my windshield for past 20yrs, love it. 50% makes all the world of difference and as you know at night reduces the glare as well. I really need to look into getting the wife's Palisade done sooner than later, just have to find someone here to do it since not legal in Louisiana
Personally, I don't like having the windshield darken things at all. A high quality, 80-90% ceramic tint that is designed to block as much IR as possible gets the job done very nicely and won't give you any legal headaches.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It would nice if you could turn it off permanently but I don’t think you can do that to any of the modern cars properly due to MPG guidelines. That said it’s not that big a deal to just push a button when you get on the road.

·
Registered
395 Posts
It would nice if you could turn it off permanently but I don’t think you can do that to any of the modern cars properly due to MPG guidelines. That said it’s not that big a deal to just push a button when you get on the road.
Well, for about $70, you can add a module that will remember your last selected position and keep it that way. So if you turn it off today, it'll be off tomorrow and the next day, and until you turn it back on. The same module also does the same thing for the auto hold button.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, for about $70, you can add a module that will remember your last selected position and keep it that way. So if you turn it off today, it'll be off tomorrow and the next day, and until you turn it back on. The same module also does the same thing for the auto hold button.
Link and more info please? I missed this...

Also, any side effects or adverse effects? Limitations?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Link and more info please? I missed this...

Also, any side effects or adverse effects? Limitations?
I don't have it nor will I buy it as I have no issue letting the car decide when to auto stop/start so I cannot attest to no adverse effects. I may feel differently when we move to south Texas next year. They also have a module that will auto lock the doors when you walk away. HOWEVER, it cannot unlock the doors on approach.

ISG and Auto-Hold Memory Module - Various Applications - Shark Racing

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't have it nor will I buy it as I have no issue letting the car decide when to auto stop/start so I cannot attest to no adverse effects. I may feel differently when we move to south Texas next year. They also have a module that will auto lock the doors when you walk away. HOWEVER, it cannot unlock the doors on approach.

ISG and Auto-Hold Memory Module - Various Applications - Shark Racing
Oh crap... What a great website... My wife's gonna be PISSED... 😆

More mods!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Has anyone installed the Shark Racing module? I don't mind splicing wires, but I don't want to tear apart the dash and have to splice wires too. If it gets too messy I won't bother.

I also don't want to live with a janky looking mod by having a piece of plastic stuck next to the button and also to see the button sitting lower than the surrounding buttons. It's just me being anal about things, but I won't be sticking a credit card or a zip tie into the button gap to disable the feature.

I don't like the shuddering and split second pause and lurch on startups. I try to remember to disable the feature every time I start the car, but I do forget at times too.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Has anyone installed the Shark Racing module? I don't mind splicing wires, but I don't want to tear apart the dash and have to splice wires too. If it gets too messy I won't bother.

I also don't want to live with a janky looking mod by having a piece of plastic stuck next to the button and also to see the button sitting lower than the surrounding buttons. It's just me being anal about things, but I won't be sticking a credit card or a zip tie into the button gap to disable the feature.

I don't like the shuddering and split second pause and lurch on startups. I try to remember to disable the feature every time I start the car, but I do forget at times too.
I would also like to see how to get the dash/console area apart.

·
Registered
26 Posts
One of the conditions that must be met for the ISG system to stop the engine is "adequate brake pressure." I've found it very easy to control the system by the amount of pressure I apply to the brake pedal. After coming to a stop, simply let up a little bit on the brake and the engine will continue to run but there is adequate brake pressure to keep the vehicle from moving. I find this technique very useful when coming to a stop at a traffic light that I know has been red for a while and will change soon, or when stopping behind traffic that hasn't started moving even though the light just turned green. I can stop the enigne when I want, or keep it running, simply by varying my foot pressure.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
123 Posts
One of the conditions that must be met for the ISG system to stop the engine is "adequate brake pressure." I've found it very easy to control the system by the amount of pressure I apply to the brake pedal. After coming to a stop, simply let up a little bit on the brake and the engine will continue to run but there is adequate brake pressure to keep the vehicle from moving. I find this technique very useful when coming to a stop at a traffic light that I know has been red for a while and will change soon, or when stopping behind traffic that hasn't started moving even though the light just turned green. I can stop the enigne when I want, or keep it running, simply by varying my foot pressure.
Yeah same and I use it at 4-ways, etc. Other than that I have no issue with it shutting off. But I wish my MINI was the same with brake pressure, it does not sense that.

Anyways, I am amazed by how many want to tear into the dash or whatever and install a part that who knows what will happen with it down the road. Most likely nothing. But I guess my point is, it only takes .69 seconds to turn it off when you get in the car. I guess I personally don't see it as an issue but just my experience.

141 - 160 of 168 Posts