Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't stand auto stop. I'm an engineer and I'd like to know why they didn't provide the option to permanently disable this trash.

I pull up to my garage and it stops. The door opens it starts and I drive 10 feet and it stops, I put it in park and it starts, and then I turn it off. This is next level stupidity.

Hyundai, get a firmware fix, FAST. If someone likes it, I don't need to know that, I'm asking for a fix to satisfy my needs, not an opinion or excuse. If I have to tear the dash apart and rewire it.....
When I pull into the garage and am ready to get out, I just press the engine start/stop button and the vehicle goes into park automatically as soon as the engine shuts off. No need to put it park first and then stop the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any way to PERMANENTLY disable stop/start? Yes I know there is a button on the dash however it is annoying to push every start up plus I do not trust my wife is doing this either.
Don’t know if this will work on a Palisades but I unplugged the switch under the hood that informs you that the hood is open on my 2015 Jeep Cherokee and it disabled the function. Every once in a while, I have a light come on the dash but I know what it is for. That kept me from having to press the button every time I got into the vehicle. Maybe this will work for you!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can't speak for OP, but I find the auto stop/start extremely annoying as well. It just feels terrible. The process is jarring. IMO, it's even annoying for passengers, as I've ridden in cars with this feature from other drivers and hated it. I'm sure it's a matured tech, and I'm sure it's advanced enough to be "viable" without the average consumer worrying about engine wear and whatnot, but as far as I'm concerned it just feels terrible while I'm driving.

If you want another specific complaint, then one of my biggest issue with the system: whenever I pull into somewhere to park, it'll shut off. Then, I put it in P and the engine turns BACK on. Then of course I have to turn it off manually. The process is clunky, and although I realize the system is acting as it was designed to, again, I really, really find it all annoying and unpleasant.

Also, no engine = no AC. I like my AC on when im driving in the SoCal heat, thank you very much.. I'm not interested in an intermittent AC system...

I think, "I don't like it" is a perfectly valid response/opinion, honestly, even without further elaboration. I agree with OP, I simply just "don't like it". I turn it off each and every time i step into the car, and I too wish there was a way to permanently disable it. I'm sure someone will eventually come up with some DIY method, probably involving some splicing/wiring... but until then, I guess I gotta push that stupid button every time. I actually read somewhere some folks with other Hyundai cars were shoving/wedging a piece of paper into the button to keep it permanently depressed, but I'm not sure if that works for ours or not.
I second your opinion. I live in Florida, and just like SoCal...it's hot here too. I did drive a Jeep Cherokee that keep the AC system running (somehow) while the engine was cut off at the stop light.
Also that issue with the shut off, then P, then back on, then Vehicle power off is quite the annoying!
Also, I do feel there could have been a bit more enhanced engineering to keep the AC system running while the Automatic cut off is engaged (Stopped at a light), perhaps a small electric motor powered by an independent battery that is charged by regenerative breaking or something rather that would keep the AC Compressor running.

·
Registered
869 Posts
perhaps a small electric motor powered by an independent battery that is charged by regenerative breaking or something rather that would keep the AC Compressor running.
That's an awful lot of cost/extra weight/things to break to avoid just not turning the engine off when it's hot out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's an awful lot of cost/extra weight/things to break to avoid just not turning the engine off when it's hot out.
I do understand your point, however I disagree. Hyundai has 2 full electric vehicles in their fleet...so it would not be a new or novel concept for them. I'm sure a multitude of drivers would complain if their AC systems cutoff while the EV was not in motion. That being said, it doesn't change the fact that Florida, Arizona and SoCal are hot places...a consistent cool ventilation is a necessity.
The concern of extra weight is negligible, a small 12v LiPo battery would weigh in at under 5 lbs, add a DC motor again and again 5 lbs or less. The regenerative technology is there...could even recharge battery for the engine when it is running. And on the extra cost...the vehicle is already at a premium, this really isn't a far stretch considering this has 1 touch electronic 3rd row folding seats.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I do understand your point, however I disagree. Hyundai has 2 full electric vehicles in their fleet...so it would not be a new or novel concept for them. I'm sure a multitude of drivers would complain if their AC systems cutoff while the EV was not in motion. That being said, it doesn't change the fact that Florida, Arizona and SoCal are hot places...a consistent cool ventilation is a necessity.
The concern of extra weight is negligible, a small 12v LiPo battery would weigh in at under 5 lbs, add a DC motor again and again 5 lbs or less. The regenerative technology is there...could even recharge battery for the engine when it is running. And on the extra cost...the vehicle is already at a premium, this really isn't a far stretch considering this has 1 touch electronic 3rd row folding seats.
The cabin temperature does not change much in the 1 minute you're at a stop light. The car isn't suddenly going to get hot because the AC stopped for a little bit. There is isolation in the car, for one, which will keep it cool, and it takes time for the air temperature to rise. Plus, the car will turn the engine back on if AC is needed - they built that in.

This is a solution in search of a problem.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hyundai has 2 full electric vehicles in their fleet...so it would not be a new or novel concept for them. I'm sure a multitude of drivers would complain if their AC systems cutoff while the EV was not in motion. That being said, it doesn't change the fact that Florida, Arizona and SoCal are hot places...a consistent cool ventilation is a necessity.
The concern of extra weight is negligible, a small 12v LiPo battery would weigh in at under 5 lbs, add a DC motor again and again 5 lbs or less.
The HVAC motors in the EVs run at extremely high voltage... not really a direct drop in opportunity. Stand alone aftermarket electric HVAC motors that are capable of supporting the kinda of BTUs needed to cool something the size of the palisade are several thousands of dollars.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The cabin temperature does not change much in the 1 minute you're at a stop light. The car isn't suddenly going to get hot because the AC stopped for a little bit. There is isolation in the car, for one, which will keep it cool, and it takes time for the air temperature to rise. Plus, the car will turn the engine back on if AC is needed - they built that in.

This is a solution in search of a problem.
You are correct in the cabin temperature does not change much while stopped at a light. I highly disagree with the 1 minute time...Come to Tampa, FL...lights take a good while to change.
Additionally the main complaint stems specifically while I am driving, the temperature is set to 72 degrees to the face with the air circulatory on, then when stopped and the engine cutoff the temperature of the air hitting the face dramatically rises ( specific numbers coming soon)...well enough to notice a difference and stifle the driver. That new hot air coming from outside and not through the AC unit is where the hit is...it takes a good few seconds to get back to the 72.
Not sure where in the country you're located at...but this is a thing we do experience.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The HVAC motors in the EVs run at extremely high voltage... not really a direct drop in opportunity. Stand alone aftermarket electric HVAC motors that are capable of supporting the kinda of BTUs needed to cool something the size of the palisade are several thousands of dollars.
Yes they sure do, and I'm not looking in for direct drop. I'm simply trying to state that this is not an impossible feat since EVs can do this already. Also, I'm not exclusively talking about the electric HVAC being able to cool down the palisade on a constant basis, just for a short time while the engine cutoff is engaged to prevent the air blowing on the drivers face going from a constant 72 to several noticeable degrees higher. That hot air hitting the face when you're not expecting it does have a stifling effect.
A vehicle of this stature with it's premium price should have been able to overcome this. However with the Genesis SUV coming in at a higher cost...I would expect this issue to not exist.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yes they sure do, and I'm not looking in for direct drop. I'm simply trying to state that this is not an impossible feat since EVs can do this already. Also, I'm not exclusively talking about the electric HVAC being able to cool down the palisade on a constant basis, just for a short time while the engine cutoff is engaged to prevent the air blowing on the drivers face going from a constant 72 to several noticeable degrees higher. That hot air hitting the face when you're not expecting it does have a stifling effect.
A vehicle of this stature with it's premium price should have been able to overcome this. However with the Genesis SUV coming in at a higher cost...I would expect this issue to not exist.
It's absolutely doable, but it's also an expensive proposition on a vehicle that already stretches the value proposition.

Can you think of any vehicles at any price point that offer a secondary ac compressor/HVAC system that powers on when the start stop system is activated? I wouldn't be surprised if they exist on very high end products, but I can't think of any examples.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's absolutely doable, but it's also an expensive proposition on a vehicle that already stretches the value proposition.

Can you think of any vehicles at any price point that offer a secondary ac compressor/HVAC system that powers on when the start stop system is activated? I wouldn't be surprised if they exist on very high end products, but I can't think of any examples.
Agreed on the doability and its existence on high end vehicles. No, I can't think of any either, then again I haven't done any research across the board in this price point (Ascent or Highlander or Atlas, etc) for this specific thing.

·
Registered
869 Posts
You are correct in the cabin temperature does not change much while stopped at a light. I highly disagree with the 1 minute time...Come to Tampa, FL...lights take a good while to change.
Additionally the main complaint stems specifically while I am driving, the temperature is set to 72 degrees to the face with the air circulatory on, then when stopped and the engine cutoff the temperature of the air hitting the face dramatically rises ( specific numbers coming soon)...well enough to notice a difference and stifle the driver. That new hot air coming from outside and not through the AC unit is where the hit is...it takes a good few seconds to get back to the 72.
Not sure where in the country you're located at...but this is a thing we do experience.
I live in the desert in southern California where 115 degree summer temps aren't uncommon. The thing that helps what you're talking about more than anything, at least in my experience, is ceramic tint on the windshield. Gotta block all that IR from coming in.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I highly disagree with the 1 minute time...Come to Tampa, FL...lights take a good while to change.
The part of my post that you conveniently ignored is that the engine will start again if needed, so if you live in a place with very long lights, it will be addressed
I mean... you walk outside in that weather without a problem. Is a red light that inconvenient that you can't stand the lack of air for a couple minutes? Besides, that doesn't happen every single time you drive. That's why there's a button to turn the system off when needed. You can't claim that you're in this situation every single time you find yourself at a red light.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The part of my post that you conveniently ignored is that the engine will start again if needed, so if you live in a place with very long lights, it will be addressed

I mean... you walk outside in that weather without a problem. Is a red light that inconvenient that you can't stand the lack of air for a couple minutes? Besides, that doesn't happen every single time you drive. That's why there's a button to turn the system off when needed. You can't claim that you're in this situation every single time you find yourself at a red light.
And you made it to the crux of of the thread! The whole point of this thread is to disable the engine cutoff permanently.

·
Banned
1 Posts
It’s hilarious to me how people are perfectly fine living with driving-assist systems that will steer, accelerate, brake, manage high-beams and manage wipers for you, but can’t stand the thought of the car managing gas consumption by turning the engine off. It’d be one thing if the system was bad and intrusive, but this is one of the best out there. Yes, it’s odd when you pull into your garage and the car restarts, only for you to turn it off again, but this is a really minor side-effect. If that’s the only issue with the system, then that isn’t much.

And yes, I know the other systems I mentioned can be turned off. The point is that it’s highly unlikely that people who complain about the start/stop system also turn off every other assist system.
Why are you bothering people? I want this feature gone too. Do you complain to people when they don't like a certain color now too? This feature is to save literally teaspoons of gas over the week. If you don't think that's extra wear and tear, you're out of your mind. Your iPhone breaks, your car breaks, everything breaks eventually. I don't need the engine turning off every 3 minutes.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Why are you bothering people? I want this feature gone too. Do you complain to people when they don't like a certain color now too? This feature is to save literally teaspoons of gas over the week. If you don't think that's extra wear and tear, you're out of your mind. Your iPhone breaks, your car breaks, everything breaks eventually. I don't need the engine turning off every 3 minutes.
You clearly haven’t read this whole thread. Conservative estimates place the fuel savings of such systems into the billions of gallons. It’s hardly teaspoons.

And yes, everything can break. For sure. But this system isn’t any more likely to break than any other part of your car. I didn’t say it didn’t cause wear and tear. I said it doesn’t cause extra wear and tear on your parts, because they are specifically engineered for that purpose.

If you’re going to quote me, at least do it correctly.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hey Czech Mate, welcome to the forum. I hope you're enjoying your Palisade. Tell us more about yours and if you have any of the issues like wind noise.

I hope you didn't join just to post that first post of yours. ;-)

Not to defend Eric (since he can do it himself), but he speaks rather matter of factly and that has turned off at least one or two forum users, but he contributes a lot of great information and helpful posts so I give him some slack. I am happy he's here.

101 - 120 of 135 Posts