Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
There's a ton of discussion on this on the 2019/2020 Hyundai Santa Fe forms, and I'm pretty sure the Palisade uses the same controller.

The easiest way not have the engine shut off is to use very light brake pressure when decelerating from 1-2 MPH to a stop. At the time of the stop if the brake pressure is too low, the ISG system will not engage.

Here's a link to some other conditions where ISG will be disabled: Auto stop start

Another option is to add a control module that will remember and set both the ISG and auto-brake features. Shark sells one ISG and Auto-Hold Memory Module - Various Applications for $70. People on the Santa Fe forms have had good success with it, although it does require some wire splicing. If you're not comfortable, many shops will do it pretty inexpensively, and contrary to popular belief, it will not void your entire warranty (just the warranty on any direct damages caused by the modification).

What I like about it is that you can set it to default brake-hold on and ISG off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any way to PERMANENTLY disable stop/start? Yes I know there is a button on the dash however it is annoying to push every start up plus I do not trust my wife is doing this either.
I did it on mine. Get a business card and rip a small piece and fold in half. Push button down and wedge card in between button. You will barley see it. I that on this site and did it and it works good for 1 year!

·
Super Moderator
493 Posts
I did it on mine. Get a business card and rip a small piece and fold in half. Push button down and wedge card in between button. You will barley see it. I that on this site and did it and it works good for 1 year!
I think yours is the best procedure or remove switch and solder jumper wire to affected connection using a volt ohm meter but i do not know how much of a pain to get at switch

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't stand auto stop. I'm an engineer and I'd like to know why they didn't provide the option to permanently disable this trash.

I pull up to my garage and it stops. The door opens it starts and I drive 10 feet and it stops, I put it in park and it starts, and then I turn it off. This is next level stupidity.

Hyundai, get a firmware fix, FAST. If someone likes it, I don't need to know that, I'm asking for a fix to satisfy my needs, not an opinion or excuse. If I have to tear the dash apart and rewire it.....

·
Super Moderator
493 Posts
Well get a wiring schematic and it should be pretty simple to deactivate for an engineer such as yourself and i would suggest contacting Hyundai and expressing your dissatisfaction but some members just wedged in a piece of cardboard and it works well for them .

·
Registered
869 Posts
I can't stand auto stop. I'm an engineer and I'd like to know why they didn't provide the option to permanently disable this trash.

I pull up to my garage and it stops. The door opens it starts and I drive 10 feet and it stops, I put it in park and it starts, and then I turn it off. This is next level stupidity.

Hyundai, get a firmware fix, FAST. If someone likes it, I don't need to know that, I'm asking for a fix to satisfy my needs, not an opinion or excuse. If I have to tear the dash apart and rewire it.....
Typically, it's due to emissions requirements. If the vehicle meets the emission requirements with the system engaged, it's legally required to come on at start up. There will never be a firmware fix for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah. I saw that, good for them, quick fix. But for $50k I expect a real fix. I'll give Hyundai some grief so that they get some motivation to do something about it. Otherwise they just ignore everyone. It has to reach the level of losing sales or people getting really mad.
Maybe we should all push the SOS button every time it stops, just to tell them the car has stopped, until they fix it. That would probably get their attention in less than a week. :devilish:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Typically, it's due to emissions requirements. If the vehicle meets the emission requirements with the system engaged, it's legally required to come on at start up. There will never be a firmware fix for it.
That would be crazy. Shouldn't be in the road if it's illegal at idle. And if you can disable it manually every time but not manually automatically, that makes no sense.

·
Super Moderator
493 Posts
On my Mercedes it gives you an option to shut it off and me i personally don't care for it i just make a habit of pushing the disconnect button it is what it is.

·
Registered
869 Posts
That would be crazy. Shouldn't be in the road if it's illegal at idle. And if you can disable it manually every time but not manually automatically, that makes no sense.
Most vehicles with start stop systems are the same way these days. This isn't a Hyundai only thing. There are some exceptions, depending on how testing was done, but this is an incredibly common "feature"

·
Registered
869 Posts
I'll give Hyundai some grief so that they get some motivation to do something about it. Otherwise they just ignore everyone. It has to reach the level of losing sales or people getting really mad.
Volvos are one of the only vehicles that I have seen where the system was implemented to where it defaulted to on and then after several years, they changed their system to allow it to default to off. The change was only available on vehicles moving forward, however. No backwards compatibility, even on vehicles that were otherwise unchanged. If enough people make a stink, you may see it changed moving forward, but it's never going to be updated on vehicles already on the road without massive regulation changes.

Fortunately, of all the stop start systems I have personally dealt with, the Palisade is by far the least intrusive.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It’s hilarious to me how people are perfectly fine living with driving-assist systems that will steer, accelerate, brake, manage high-beams and manage wipers for you, but can’t stand the thought of the car managing gas consumption by turning the engine off. It’d be one thing if the system was bad and intrusive, but this is one of the best out there. Yes, it’s odd when you pull into your garage and the car restarts, only for you to turn it off again, but this is a really minor side-effect. If that’s the only issue with the system, then that isn’t much.

And yes, I know the other systems I mentioned can be turned off. The point is that it’s highly unlikely that people who complain about the start/stop system also turn off every other assist system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I am not sure how this happened but we had the auto/disable function come on by itself today while driving.Normally we turn it on right away before we drive but we forgot today. we stopped at a light and my wife noticed it wasnt on and she went to hit the button and it came on by itself. Now I didnt believe her so we started driving again and the light was off like it was not disabled. we stopped at another light and it turned on by itself and the car did not turn off. as soon as i started driving the light went off like it was not disabled again. i have no idea how it happened but it was awesome. lol

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
So I am not sure how this happened but we had the auto/disable function come on by itself today while driving.Normally we turn it on right away before we drive but we forgot today. we stopped at a light and my wife noticed it wasnt on and she went to hit the button and it came on by itself. Now I didnt believe her so we started driving again and the light was off like it was not disabled. we stopped at another light and it turned on by itself and the car did not turn off. as soon as i started driving the light went off like it was not disabled again. i have no idea how it happened but it was awesome. lol
It’s normal behavior. Even when the system is engaged, it doesn’t always turn the engine off. The symbol in the cluster looks yellow/amber instead of green when that happens. Several conditions have to be met for the engine to turn off. This is all in the manual. And yes, the light on the button will come on if it doesn’t turn off, to indicate that the function is not available right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I've never experienced the situation you're talking about here. I've never had the engine stop and then restart when putting the car into park. Also, once the system engages you need to accelerate to 15km/h before it will re-engage, so if it's engaging while you wait for your garage door to open and then again when you enter your garage I'd say that's pretty aggressive acceleration in order to move the car 10 feet.

Aside from that I'd agree with most people that it's super smooth and unobtrusive and it's a pretty silly thing to be annoyed about, especially since you probably test drove the vehicle before you bought it? You did get exactly what you paid for afterall.

·
Registered
Lexus GS460, BMW540
10 Posts
Does the Palasades have a mode selector with a sport mode? Most cars that have a sport mode it disables the start/stop. I realize that most cars with sport mode it defaults back to some sort of "normal" mode when restarting also. But for me it is more natural to put my vehicles in sport mode.

I have had one car, an Audi A7,that had a start/stop mode that defaulted to being on every time you start the car. For some reason I just never go used to turning it of when I started the car, and I would come to a stop and have the car shut off. Like the OP, I hate it as well. Fortunately there was an inexpensive way on the Audi to program it off - a Carista app with an OBD adapter to facilitate programming that, and many other things on the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,094 Posts
I get that a lot here in Arizona because, If the AC needs to run the car will turn the engine back on. Will also do that if heat is needed to maintain temp. in car.
For me it works the way it should. next time notice if something like that is going on when you set for a long light.

81 - 100 of 135 Posts