Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmmm there has to be a way to fix this via computer, I wonder if the dealers have a proper way of disabling it. Sadly I think that most of us are under factory warranty, and if I'm a betting man, I think most of us bought the extended warranty (this being a new car for the brand and all).I do think the brand will not want to change the auto start/stop for many reasons. FYI no matter what you're told by engineering, the laws of thermodynamics dictate that the more friction acted upon an object, the more wear it will have, so with that being said I do think there is extra wear on the engine no matter how mature the technology is. Plus the convenience on the part of the A/C is big, go anywhere that is higher than 72 degrees F with no A/C, that'll have you with a major case of Niagara Balls (even with the seats on full blast) lol. There is my two cents.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hmmm there has to be a way to fix this via computer, I wonder if the dealers have a proper way of disabling it.
Highly unlikely. If the vehicle is tested for federal emissions utilizing the system, it is required to default on when the vehicle is started.

Take it up with the EPA, not Hyundai.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Plus the convenience on the part of the A/C is big, go anywhere that is higher than 72 degrees F with no A/C, that'll have you with a major case of Niagara Balls (even with the seats on full blast) lol. There is my two cents.
I keep seeing this nonsense in this thread... 30s at a red light isn't going to dramatically change the temperature inside your car. Plus the manual states that it will turn the engine back on if the AC is needed.

AC isn't a valid reason to hate on the system.

As to the wear and tear, read up on the materials used in these systems. You might learn a thing or two.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I keep seeing this nonsense in this thread... 30s at a red light isn't going to dramatically change the temperature inside your car. Plus the manual states that it will turn the engine back on if the AC is needed.

AC isn't a valid reason to hate on the system.

As to the wear and tear, read up on the materials used in these systems. You might learn a thing or two.
On paper many things are supposed to work and not work, case in point, homeopathy or tetraneutrons. I rather spend 10% extra fuel due to loss of efficiency than run the risk of having a mechanical failure early on the life of my vehicle. Everyone has a right to their own opinion and to also express it. The only reason why I'm expressing mine is because I find it very disingenuous of people on many forums that keep preaching for a system that only gains a very small percentage of fuel efficiency and cost the consumers a lot, this feels like automotive quackery. To the ones that get offended, I truly don't care, this is my opinion and I'm not telling people what to do with their person or their private property, I expect the same treatment from others. Also, I do agree with saxman242, the EPA needs to tweak the laws a little.

·
Registered
474 Posts
On paper many things are supposed to work and not work, case in point, homeopathy or tetraneutrons. I rather spend 10% extra fuel due to loss of efficiency than run the risk of having a mechanical failure early on the life of my vehicle. Everyone has a right to their own opinion and to also express it. The only reason why I'm expressing mine is because I find it very disingenuous of people on many forums that keep preaching for a system that only gains a very small percentage of fuel efficiency and cost the consumers a lot, this feels like automotive quackery. To the ones that get offended, I truly don't care, this is my opinion and I'm not telling people what to do with their person or their private property, I expect the same treatment from others. Also, I do agree with saxman242, the EPA needs to tweak the laws a little.
Yes, everyone is entitled to their opinions. But not to peddle BS when facts clearly disprove that. There's a very clear difference between opinion and fact.

The whole AC thing is specifically addressed by Hyundai, for one. It will turn back on if needed. You won't cook in your car. That is a fact, not a matter of opinion or speculation.

As far as wear and tear, why is this particular feature any more worrisome than any other? It's not new technology, it's been around a while. There are many ways to ensure the engine can keep restarting without excessive wear and tear on the engine, and this is all documented online if anyone searches. More to the point, there are many other complex features on this car that are just as likely to break as the auto start/stop. There seems to be a fixation on this one, for some reason. And sometimes, it's the most basic thing that fails: I own a 2012 Sonata Limited. Every feature on it still works after 167,000 miles. But I'm on my second motor because Hyundai couldn't build one correctly and left debris around the crankshaft. Which is certainly not a new technology and something they should have known how to do correctly. Point is, why is this feature so feared by anyone when the Palisade is already loaded with all sorts of sensors and other tech that is just as likely, if not more likely, to go bad than what allows the engine to start/stop?

Speaking of facts, your post claims it "costs customers a lot". What are you basing this on? And it might be a small percentage gain in fuel efficiency but when you multiply it to all cars on the roads, it's quite a lot. That's sort of the point. Increases in fuel efficiency are going to be incremental anyway - there's no magic bullet that will suddenly double everyone's mpg with internal combustion engines (barring some new technology as yet undiscovered). Doesn't mean it isn't worth doing.

In terms of opinion, the only one I see is people who claim they feel the system and don't like it. I can understand that. I (and others) have driven other cars with those systems and can tell you, the Hyundai one is the smoothest we've ever driven. But yes, you're going to feel it at times. No way around it. If that's why people dislike it, fine.

Hopefully you (and others) understand where I'm coming from better now.

·
Registered
311 Posts
As far as wear and tear, why is this particular feature any more worrisome than any other?
It's worth mentioning that starters on motors with start/stop technology (this seems to be the component most are worried about wearing out prematurely) are not designed the same was as traditional starters are. They're specifically designed for this use case set, with very different gearing and brushes that limit the wear that would occur if a "normal" starter was used in this manner.

·
Registered
474 Posts
It's worth mentioning that starters on motors with start/stop technology (this seems to be the component most are worried about wearing out prematurely) are not designed the same was as traditional starters are. They're specifically designed for this use case set, with very different gearing and brushes that limit the wear that would occur if a "normal" starter was used in this manner.
Yes, exactly. And crankshafts coated with special polymers, battery improvements, ECU changes... etc.

Here's one link with some good explanations (there are plenty more on the web): Don't start-stop systems wear out your car's starter?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, exactly. And crankshafts coated with special polymers, battery improvements, ECU changes... etc.

Here's one link with some good explanations (there are plenty more on the web): Don't start-stop systems wear out your car's starter?
Well I'm not interested in cheating the EPA system, all I want is to disable it for ever! So I don't understand why you guys are here booing the grown up decisions of other people, if you guys don't have the answer for a question, just get out the way. Your input is not helping the OP's questions and concerns.

·
Registered
311 Posts
if you guys don't have the answer for a question, just get out the way.
Here, I'll answer the question. The EPA regulations prevent Hyundai from designing the system in such a way that makes it able to default with the auto start-stop disabled. The only work around to this is to either jam something into the switch to keep it always depressed or to access the wiring harness for the switch and short out the wires so it acts as if it is always depressed. There won't be a software update that comes down the pipeline as long as the EPA regulations are as they are and Hyundai chooses to perform emissions/fuel economy testing with the system engaged.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well I'm not interested in cheating the EPA system, all I want is to disable it for ever! So I don't understand why you guys are here booing the grown up decisions of other people, if you guys don't have the answer for a question, just get out the way. Your input is not helping the OP's questions and concerns.
So much for someone who says "everyone has a right to their own opinion", as you posted in the first quote above. I guess that only counts when that opinion aligns with yours.

You're the one who quoted me in your first post in this thread. I responded. This is a public forum and anyone can reply. If you don't like that someone disagrees with you or even responds to you, don't post in the first place.

I've said above that if people don't like this system because they feel it, fine. But I will respond to people who offer no reason for disliking the system, who claim it's going to make their car too hot, or that it's more likely to break down because of that one system. That's just BS.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here, I'll answer the question. The EPA regulations prevent Hyundai from designing the system in such a way that makes it able to default with the auto start-stop disabled. The only work around to this is to either jam something into the switch to keep it always depressed or to access the wiring harness for the switch and short out the wires so it acts as if it is always depressed. There won't be a software update that comes down the pipeline as long as the EPA regulations are as they are and Hyundai chooses to perform emissions/fuel economy testing with the system engaged.
This is a good example of a mod or add-on that removes that disables that system. I don't think some of you guys understand what some of us are asking.

·
Super Moderator
193 Posts
Lets Keep posts positive and productive and why Chamopack do you have to Quote on your last post on your example mod and maybe you don't understand what some people are saying so keep it positive and not personal !!

·
Registered
13 Posts
One guess as to what that mod does...
That's what I thought, but he enabled the auto start/stop after installing it. So I don't think it's a simple jumper, I wonder if it's got a resistor piggybacked to the hot wire and it let's go when the button is pressed, allowing to be enabled... Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
311 Posts
That's better than sticking papers into a button, it would be nice to get a wiring diagram for the Palisade...
I can't imagine it'd be much harder than getting access to the underside of the buttons and probing the wires of the start switch with a multimeter. I'd be shocked if there were more than 4 wires going to the switch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was thinking the same, but it would be better to know if does wires are accessible by the firewall or the driver's steering wheel well, if so that would make life so much easier!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also hate the auto-start function. I live in central Florida and I don't want my AC cut down to minimal airflow. Plus we had a Honda Odyssey that broke its timing belt while trying to cross over traffic in a busy intersection. The van just died right there in the middle of the road and we had our 4 kids on board and our daughter was just born 2 weeks prior. Luckily cars were able to stop but we thought for sure we were going to get hit and killed. Two cars stopped within inches of our door. That engine suddenly going off is like a PTSD trigger for my wife and I. Sometimes I forget to hit it and my wife will be with me as we get to the stop light to exit our neighborhood and the engine goes off, I see my wife tense up and the first time it happened she got so scared she started tearing up. We truly hate it. I don't really understand the purpose of it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I also hate the auto-start function. I live in central Florida and I don't want my AC cut down to minimal airflow. Plus we had a Honda Odyssey that broke its timing belt while trying to cross over traffic in a busy intersection. The van just died right there in the middle of the road and we had our 4 kids on board and our daughter was just born 2 weeks prior. Luckily cars were able to stop but we thought for sure we were going to get hit and killed. Two cars stopped within inches of our door. That engine suddenly going off is like a PTSD trigger for my wife and I. Sometimes I forget to hit it and my wife will be with me as we get to the stop light to exit our neighborhood and the engine goes off, I see my wife tense up and the first time it happened she got so scared she started tearing up. We truly hate it. I don't really understand the purpose of it.
You're in a tough situation. I've only ever been in one accident, where someone T-boned me from the right while I was going around 50 mph. Took me years to not instinctively move over to the left at every intersection. All I can say is that it will get better with time. Plus it sounds like you weren't actually hit when this happened, so hopefully, the PTSD-like effects diminish over time.

To actually address your last statement, there are various estimates on the net from a few years ago that state that auto start-stop systems will save 3 to 4 billion gallons of gas a year in the US alone. That's $10 billions/year. And it lowers CO2 emissions. That's the purpose of the it. It is becoming available on more cars over time. It's only a matter of time until all cars have this, as the vast majority of countries around the world have emission and fuel consumption regulations that are getting more strict over time.

Air Conditioning isn't an issue: the car will restart itself if the temperature in the cabin changes. 30s at a stop light isn't long enough to affect the temperature in the cabin.

Hopefully, you and your wife get to trust the car and the various systems in it over time. Good luck.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts