Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was thinking that there should be a fuse for that switch somewhere, I would think. I will check when my wife returns with our Palisade.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too find it annoying and for the few drops of fuel it might save, not worth it. A word of caution about it. What might happen if you drive into your garage, put your foot on the brake and come to a stop...the engine stops...you put it into park..exit the vehicle and go into the house. If you were distracted by something or possibly are hard of hearing and didn't hear the engine re-start, what might happen? You guessed, you left your vehicle running inside your closed garage. Carbon monoxide? OR, another scenario...you pull into a stop at the mall, do the same thing as above..exit your vehicle and start walking towards the mall. As you walk away you click the lock button on your remote, thinking the vehicle is stopped and locked. Not so..it is still running and unlocked. When you come out from the mall, your vehicle is gone. That is one reason I wish our Palisade had folding mirrors. On my other vehicle, I look for the mirrors to fold in as I am walking away and lock the vehicle. My point: be very careful with this "feature".
A 3rd reason I don't like this feature that applies mainly to turbo-charged vehicles. Have you heard of heat-soak? It is what happens to the turbo charger bearings when the turbo is hot, the engine stops and doesn't have oil circulating thru it. The common shaft can warp due to the heat, causing turbo damage. If you are driving a turbo charged engine and the engine is hot, I highly recommend keeping it running to keep the oil circulating thru the turbo bearings. Rather than just having a switch to turn off this feature each time the engine is started, it would be nice if there was a setting in the "settings" menu to permanently disable it, if the owner chooses to do so.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Rather than just having a switch to turn off this feature each time the engine is started, it would be nice if there was a setting in the "settings" menu to permanently disable it, if the owner chooses to do so.
You can thank emissions and fuel mileage standards for that one. If the company uses the feature to meet emissions standards, they're required, at least in the US, to have the system default to the ON position when the car restarts.

Your heatsoak example with turbo motors is a result of the engine being hotter than normal from someone driving aggressively/under high load/towing and then immediately shutting the vehicle off, particularly in the past when oil technology wasn't as advanced. Not a common problem with turbo motors in stock vehicles under normal use these days.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I jammed a flathead screwdriver in ours.

Just kidding. We have the Limited US version. Ours stop/starts very quietly, not jarring at all. I do like the mileage that it helps the vehicle get but like most technology, I'm sure it will evolve. We have a number of Buicks in our fleet at work with the same technology and I will say that GM's version is jarring.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I too find it annoying and for the few drops of fuel it might save, not worth it. A word of caution about it. What might happen if you drive into your garage, put your foot on the brake and come to a stop...the engine stops...you put it into park..exit the vehicle and go into the house. If you were distracted by something or possibly are hard of hearing and didn't hear the engine re-start, what might happen? You guessed, you left your vehicle running inside your closed garage. Carbon monoxide? OR, another scenario...you pull into a stop at the mall, do the same thing as above..exit your vehicle and start walking towards the mall. As you walk away you click the lock button on your remote, thinking the vehicle is stopped and locked. Not so..it is still running and unlocked. When you come out from the mall, your vehicle is gone. That is one reason I wish our Palisade had folding mirrors. On my other vehicle, I look for the mirrors to fold in as I am walking away and lock the vehicle. My point: be very careful with this "feature".
A 3rd reason I don't like this feature that applies mainly to turbo-charged vehicles. Have you heard of heat-soak? It is what happens to the turbo charger bearings when the turbo is hot, the engine stops and doesn't have oil circulating thru it. The common shaft can warp due to the heat, causing turbo damage. If you are driving a turbo charged engine and the engine is hot, I highly recommend keeping it running to keep the oil circulating thru the turbo bearings. Rather than just having a switch to turn off this feature each time the engine is started, it would be nice if there was a setting in the "settings" menu to permanently disable it, if the owner chooses to do so.
Ummm... The car alarms when you get out of the car and the engine is on. Very loud and annoying. No way you can unknowingly leave the car on in your garage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I agree the Palisade stop/start is decently seamless. Overall, I really the the vehicle and it is a far cry from the late 90's early 2000's models from them and KIA. I do think, however, that it will cause undue stress on the engine components, the started, etc. I know they have engineered these vehicle to help them not have wear but I really think it is inevitable. I remember when Ford started using the auto lock and unlock in their early 2000 models and after a couple years and miles the door lock actuators where constantly being replaced. The auto power seat when you turned off the car, GM and Chrysler cylinder deactivation and so on. It will get better with time and real world testing however I will personally stick to my lifted Toyota Tacoma with a 6 speed manual transmission..fun to drive

·
Registered
48 Posts
That mi be a question for the service department. I had a BMW with that feature and they gave you the option to permanently shut it off one time at no charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love my Palisade!! The only thing I "dislike" is the .....here it comes...Start-Stop system.
The main reason is that I live in South Florida, and when the Auto Start kicks in the AC goes almost dead. I know is a couple of seconds, but it matters to me. Also, unquestionably, there is a DELAY, short or not, from break to gas pedal, and then a little jump that is kind of annoying.
Why Hyundai does not give you the option to disable it? No idea. The main reason for its existence is:
"A start-stop system or stop-start system automatically shuts down and restarts the internal combustion engine to reduce the amount of time the engine spends idling, thereby reducing fuel consumption and emissions. "
How much idling time does it save compare to non-idling? Fuel consumption and emission!! Well the last one sounds like a government regulation and those are.....I will save my opinion here since we are getting into the politics arena.
Conclusion: Give the consumer and options.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I love my Palisade!! The only thing I "dislike" is the .....here it comes...Start-Stop system.
The main reason is that I live in South Florida, and when the Auto Start kicks in the AC goes almost dead. I know is a couple of seconds, but it matters to me. Also, unquestionably, there is a DELAY, short or not, from break to gas pedal, and then a little jump that is kind of annoying.
Why Hyundai does not give you the option to disable it? No idea. The main reason for its existence is:
"A start-stop system or stop-start system automatically shuts down and restarts the internal combustion engine to reduce the amount of time the engine spends idling, thereby reducing fuel consumption and emissions. "
How much idling time does it save compare to non-idling? Fuel consumption and emission!! Well the last one sounds like a government regulation and those are.....I will save my opinion here since we are getting into the politics arena.
Conclusion: Give the consumer and options.
The manual clearly states that it will turn the engine back on if the AC is needed. The temperature in your car doesn't change that quickly that 1 min at a stop light without AC is going to change things.

And as to why you can't disable it, that's because emissions and fuel consumption numbers were calculated with it on. Since these are numbers provided to the regulatory authorities, the car has to keep this system on.

Yes, you feel it a little bit. It's actually one of the smoothest systems out there. Take it from me (and others) who have driven cars with far worse start/stop systems.

As to the environment, surely you agree that it's a good thing to preserve it, right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The manual clearly states that it will turn the engine back on if the AC is needed. The temperature in your car doesn't change that quickly that 1 min at a stop light without AC is going to change things.

And as to why you can't disable it, that's because emissions and fuel consumption numbers were calculated with it on. Since these are numbers provided to the regulatory authorities, the car has to keep this system on.

Yes, you feel it a little bit. It's actually one of the smoothest systems out there. Take it from me (and others) who have driven cars with far worse start/stop systems.

As to the environment, surely you agree that it's a good thing to preserve it, right?
Everyone has an opinion...right?

·
Super Moderator
427 Posts
Black or dark color match book cover works great. If you fold it over and cut to right length no one will even notice

·
Registered
54 Posts
My frustration with the Auto Off feature is two things. The first one...and maybe it is just me...is that it appears to need to hit a certain speed between the first time it was used and when you can use it again. If I am in the drive thru it will work for the first time I stop, say to place an order, but it wont work again for any of the other stops needs...like the payment or pickup windows. The second one is totally my driving style, and I am working on it. I am not one that likes the car to drift on a hill...I dont use the Auto Hold, I dont like remembering to turn it off or the feeling of needing to pedal through the hold to shut it off. I also like a smooth transition between stopping and starting. So what happens is I release the brake with my left foot and pedal in gas with right. Now that I have the Auto Off I try to remember not to fall into my habit (20+ years of driving that doesnt change overnight) because if I am too smooth between the two pedals I push the gas and the car still hasn't turned back on...so it feels like the engine stalls until it can catch back up to where I am at...and my concern is that in doing so, albeit accidentally, I am doing harm to the engine.

·
Super Moderator
427 Posts
You will notice if using left foot on brake and right foot on gas. Yes people do that.
Can't see how fast you move foot from brake to gas pedal. It only take 1 second for
engine to restart, much faster than most systems from other makes of cars. When I
was younger I liked to mash gas really fast and take off. Just a normal brake to gas
and I never even feel it restart.
God I'm getting old
What ever happened to holding brake, pressing gas then releasing brake to get engine
preloaded and a nice jump off the line? Or revving engine then letting out clutch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any way to PERMANENTLY disable stop/start? Yes I know there is a button on the dash however it is annoying to push every start up plus I do not trust my wife is doing this either.
So I have limited. The A button to the right of center console was not lit up when I bought. At first light it stopped then started again. I hate that. I just pushed the button to light up orange and now stays off. Try that. Button is not on the dashboard it is on the center console.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts