Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
361 Posts
I HATE this useless feature. I'd pay extra to get a hack to turn this thing off permanently. One more stupid design idea in car building!
Well they claim 15% fuel savings so I don't think it's useless. I mean common sense is if your car is off then it's not burning gas.

But there are plenty of hacks if you search the forums. Everywhere from sticking something in the button to jam it down to save you 1.69 seconds from pushing the button upon startup to buying a relatively cheap device and installing it.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
497 Posts
I'm actually thinking about getting it so the Auto-Hold stays on. I'm kinda liking that feature. I would like to know how hard it is to open the center console up to access the wires you need to splice into before I buy it though.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
361 Posts
I'm actually thinking about getting it so the Auto-Hold stays on. I'm kinda liking that feature. I would like to know how hard it is to open the center console up to access the wires you need to splice into before I buy it though.
I would be so leery with adding anything electronic to this car. I did on my 2015 Pathfinder which allowed videos to be played on the front screen while driving. It disabled the GPS and Parking brake and then you could watch movies. Not that I ever watched movies while driving...

But anyways, I'm more skeptical with adding stuff to this one and potentially causing more problems even though it's probably rare. But especially when it only takes a couple seconds to turn on/off ISG and Auto Hold. I truly don't understand how that's inconvenient for people versus wasting a couple hours tearing into the center console. Say it takes 2 hours which equates to 7200 seconds of your life. Now, say it takes 5 seconds to push both ISG and Auto Hold upon startup. So that 7200 seconds dedicated to just pushing the buttons gives you 1440 starts on your Palisade. :LOL: :LOL: ;)

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
497 Posts
I have never owned a car with either ISG or Auto-Hold, so these features are really new to me. Maybe once I really get accustomed to them and remember the push the Auto-Hold button each time I start the car, it will be easier. Right now I end up stopping at 4 or 5 traffic lights before I remember my car has the Auto-Hold feature. But I'm kinda liking convenience. People like to push one button one time to readjust the seats to the way they like them, why not have your car remember your preference with Auto-Hold and ISG? Not to mention I need to tear into my console to route some wiring for the LED's I want to install in the cup holder area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also do not like the auto shut/restart function, sometimes find it lurches a bit and concerns me about wear and tear on the starter, there must be a way to retire the switch to work in reverse. Make it so if you want to use the function you can enable it instead of continually having to disable it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It’s hilarious to me how people are perfectly fine living with driving-assist systems that will steer, accelerate, brake, manage high-beams and manage wipers for you, but can’t stand the thought of the car managing gas consumption by turning the engine off. It’d be one thing if the system was bad and intrusive, but this is one of the best out there. Yes, it’s odd when you pull into your garage and the car restarts, only for you to turn it off again, but this is a really minor side-effect. If that’s the only issue with the system, then that isn’t much.

And yes, I know the other systems I mentioned can be turned off. The point is that it’s highly unlikely that people who complain about the start/stop system also turn off every other assist system.
I guess the funny thing here Eric is you seem to think we care about your personal opinion on the matter. Fact is we went from buying cars where every option was pay per order to every option being included. If I don’t like the rims on an Ultimate, I can change them but I don’t try and ram my opinion on everyone that do like those rims. All that most people are asking is a way to permanently disable the auto stop/ start option so if you dont have a solution then just move on and stop being a key board warrior trying to tell us why we are hilarious for not wanting it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Are you a thoracic surgeon?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can't speak for OP, but I find the auto stop/start extremely annoying as well. It just feels terrible. The process is jarring. IMO, it's even annoying for passengers, as I've ridden in cars with this feature from other drivers and hated it. I'm sure it's a matured tech, and I'm sure it's advanced enough to be "viable" without the average consumer worrying about engine wear and whatnot, but as far as I'm concerned it just feels terrible while I'm driving.

If you want another specific complaint, then one of my biggest issue with the system: whenever I pull into somewhere to park, it'll shut off. Then, I put it in P and the engine turns BACK on. Then of course I have to turn it off manually. The process is clunky, and although I realize the system is acting as it was designed to, again, I really, really find it all annoying and unpleasant.

Also, no engine = no AC. I like my AC on when im driving in the SoCal heat, thank you very much.. I'm not interested in an intermittent AC system...

I think, "I don't like it" is a perfectly valid response/opinion, honestly, even without further elaboration. I agree with OP, I simply just "don't like it". I turn it off each and every time i step into the car, and I too wish there was a way to permanently disable it. I'm sure someone will eventually come up with some DIY method, probably involving some splicing/wiring... but until then, I guess I gotta push that stupid button every time. I actually read somewhere some folks with other Hyundai cars were shoving/wedging a piece of paper into the button to keep it permanently depressed, but I'm not sure if that works for ours or not.
I hate it also, no matter what the manufacturers say It will create more wear and tear on a car. Not to mention, ever get rear ended? One thing I dont need is any kind of engine lag when I'm getting out of someone's way. The amount of gas that it saves is nowhere near the annoyance of a car continually stopping and starting.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I also do not like the auto shut/restart function, sometimes find it lurches a bit and concerns me about wear and tear on the starter, there must be a way to retire the switch to work in reverse. Make it so if you want to use the function you can enable it instead of continually having to disable it.
I guess the funny thing here Eric is you seem to think we care about your personal opinion on the matter. Fact is we went from buying cars where every option was pay per order to every option being included. If I don’t like the rims on an Ultimate, I can change them but I don’t try and ram my opinion on everyone that do like those rims. All that most people are asking is a way to permanently disable the auto stop/ start option so if you dont have a solution then just move on and stop being a key board warrior trying to tell us why we are hilarious for not wanting it.
It does not add wear and tear. The starter is not the same as what you would found on a car without this feature. Do your research and inform yourself. You are incorrect.

This is not the same as rims. Rims are about the car’s looks. ISG is a feature of the car. It’s fine I’d you don’t like it but don’t claim it adds wear and tear, that it makes the temperature inside the car too hot or any of the other BS I’ve seen posted here. Why this feature defaults to on has been explained multiple times.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I hate it also, no matter what the manufacturers say It will create more wear and tear on a car. Not to mention, ever get rear ended? One thing I dont need is any kind of engine lag when I'm getting out of someone's way. The amount of gas that it saves is nowhere near the annoyance of a car continually stopping and starting.
No matter what the manufacturer says? Why? Are you some kind of expert? Do you somehow know better? I got news for you: the parts are designed with this feature in mind. They’re not the same as cars without ISG. Do a little bit of research.

What lag are you talking about? The engine is back on before your foot has time to move from the brake pedal to the gas pedal.

If every car had ISG, the savings in gas would work out to a few billion gallons a year in the US alone. Yes, billions. The numbers have already been posted in this thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why would I want to hit the button 90% of the time?? There should be a way to disable it, per the reason for this thread and my post thanking people about the business card idea. Obviously the car DOES turn the engine off when the AC is needed, hence the reason for my post. Obviously it's not 100deg and 100% humidity year round, kind of figured that was common sense and just used as an example. You have failed to realize it's consistently humid here and just because the temp doesn't change doesn't mean AC is not needed. I've read this entire thread and you don't seem to bring much to the table other than excuses why it's not needed to permanently disable it.
Agreed. I just put a piece of 1 1/4" velcro and jammed it in there. Can't really see it and now I'm back to killing the environment one idle stop at a time. How dare me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yup, That's my biggest beef. On school drop off the lurch scares the shit out of people.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
361 Posts
Yup, That's my biggest beef. On school drop off the lurch scares the shit out of people.
Haha, the lurch isn't that bad, I find it useful since the car gets going at a red light and doesn't pause. I think it's an intended operation. Now I'll turn it off in car lines just because why have it shut off and restart every few seconds.

Or try auto hold and then it forces your to hit the accelerator to start the Pali and go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Haha, the lurch isn't that bad, I find it useful since the car gets going at a red light and doesn't pause. I think it's an intended operation. Now I'll turn it off in car lines just because why have it shut off and restart every few seconds.

Or try auto hold and then it forces your to hit the accelerator to start the Pali and go.
Pedestrians don't seem to be used to the auto start. They hear the car start up and see the lurch and you see them put a little giddy up in their step. Funny at first, but now I'm the ass in the car line ;) The button jam has worked for me and solved all my problems. Hell I may even super glue it down :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just ease off a bit on the brake and it starts smoothly, and just keep your foot pressing lightly on the brake until your ready to move. Never experienced a lurch or any similar. My guess, issue is with driver getting familar with how it senses based on brake pressure. I can coast to a stop with light brake pressure and engine keeps running.

181 - 198 of 198 Posts