Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any way to PERMANENTLY disable stop/start? Yes I know there is a button on the dash however it is annoying to push every start up plus I do not trust my wife is doing this either.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Any way to PERMANENTLY disable stop/start? Yes I know there is a button on the dash however it is annoying to push every start up plus I do not trust my wife is doing this either.
Off the top of my head, no there isn't. But I'm curious: why do you want to disable it? I've driven multiple vehicles with auto-stop/start technology and the Palisade has one of the better systems. It's always been back on before my foot had time to move from the brake pedal to the gas pedal. And it can be sort-of be controlled by how hard you push the brake pedal (lighter press won't trigger it). It also disables itself if it detects the engine is not in the optimal conditions and/or if the car needs cooled (I think). I've driven with far worse systems.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Off the top of my head, no there isn't. But I'm curious: why do you want to disable it? I've driven multiple vehicles with auto-stop/start technology and the Palisade has one of the better systems. It's always been back on before my foot had time to move from the brake pedal to the gas pedal. And it can be sort-of be controlled by how hard you push the brake pedal (lighter press won't trigger it). It also disables itself if it detects the engine is not in the optimal conditions and/or if the car needs cooled (I think). I've driven with far worse systems.
I hate it and the extra wear on the engine.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I hate it and the extra wear on the engine.
Could you elaborate on why you hate it? You're entitled to your opinion, but you could at least justify it.

As to the wear on the engine, I suggest you do some Googling. The technology has matured quite a bit and various features are used to prevent just that from happening. Bearings are coated with improved material for better lubrication, the temperature and oil pressure and monitored so that it stays relatively constant (that's what I meant in my previous post by optimal conditions), etc... As to the starter, it has also been improved with new features for cars with auto-start/stop. Don't take my word for it - look it up. You'll see that your concerns have been addressed by all manufacturers that sell this technology.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Justify it? My justification is the fact I do not like it. It is annoying to me. If you like it great...

Yes I am aware of the marketing hype of how the motor is "improved" and blah blah blah. I still want it permanently disabled. Period. Is anyone aware of how this can be achieved?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Justify it? My justification is the fact I do not like it. It is annoying to me. If you like it great...

Yes I am aware of the marketing hype of how the motor is "improved" and blah blah blah. I still want it permanently disabled. Period. Is anyone aware of how this can be achieved?
You know, if you don't explain why you don't like it or find it annoying, then how are manufacturers ever going to make it better? Explaining what you don't like about it would help foster conversation on the topic, even if only on this forum. Just saying "I don't like it" isn't exactly helpful.

The tech that is modified to make that work isn't marketing hype. What I mentioned before doesn't even come from Hyundai press releases. They're standard features that have been implemented by all manufacturers using this tech. Like I said, Google it, you'll see.

And I did answer you: as far as I know, there's no way to disable it permanently.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You know, if you don't explain why you don't like it or find it annoying, then how are manufacturers ever going to make it better? Explaining what you don't like about it would help foster conversation on the topic, even if only on this forum. Just saying "I don't like it" isn't exactly helpful.

The tech that is modified to make that work isn't marketing hype. What I mentioned before doesn't even come from Hyundai press releases. They're standard features that have been implemented by all manufacturers using this tech. Like I said, Google it, you'll see.

And I did answer you: as far as I know, there's no way to disable it permanently.
Can't speak for OP, but I find the auto stop/start extremely annoying as well. It just feels terrible. The process is jarring. IMO, it's even annoying for passengers, as I've ridden in cars with this feature from other drivers and hated it. I'm sure it's a matured tech, and I'm sure it's advanced enough to be "viable" without the average consumer worrying about engine wear and whatnot, but as far as I'm concerned it just feels terrible while I'm driving.

If you want another specific complaint, then one of my biggest issue with the system: whenever I pull into somewhere to park, it'll shut off. Then, I put it in P and the engine turns BACK on. Then of course I have to turn it off manually. The process is clunky, and although I realize the system is acting as it was designed to, again, I really, really find it all annoying and unpleasant.

Also, no engine = no AC. I like my AC on when im driving in the SoCal heat, thank you very much.. I'm not interested in an intermittent AC system...

I think, "I don't like it" is a perfectly valid response/opinion, honestly, even without further elaboration. I agree with OP, I simply just "don't like it". I turn it off each and every time i step into the car, and I too wish there was a way to permanently disable it. I'm sure someone will eventually come up with some DIY method, probably involving some splicing/wiring... but until then, I guess I gotta push that stupid button every time. I actually read somewhere some folks with other Hyundai cars were shoving/wedging a piece of paper into the button to keep it permanently depressed, but I'm not sure if that works for ours or not.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't speak for OP, but I find the auto stop/start extremely annoying as well. It just feels terrible. The process is jarring. IMO, it's even annoying for passengers, as I've ridden in cars with this feature from other drivers and hated it. I'm sure it's a matured tech, and I'm sure it's advanced enough to be "viable" without the average consumer worrying about engine wear and whatnot, but as far as I'm concerned it just feels terrible while I'm driving.

If you want another specific complaint, then one of my biggest issue with the system: whenever I pull into somewhere to park, it'll shut off. Then, I put it in P and the engine turns BACK on. Then of course I have to turn it off manually. The process is clunky, and although I realize the system is acting as it was designed to, again, I really, really find it all annoying and unpleasant.

Also, no engine = no AC. I like my AC on when im driving in the SoCal heat, thank you very much.. I'm not interested in an intermittent AC system...

I think, "I don't like it" is a perfectly valid response/opinion, honestly, even without further elaboration. I agree with OP, I simply just "don't like it". I turn it off each and every time i step into the car, and I too wish there was a way to permanently disable it. I'm sure someone will eventually come up with some DIY method, probably involving some splicing/wiring... but until then, I guess I gotta push that stupid button every time. I actually read somewhere some folks with other Hyundai cars were shoving/wedging a piece of paper into the button to keep it permanently depressed, but I'm not sure if that works for ours or not.
Great Response and I agree with your assessment.

·
Registered
474 Posts

I do agree with the scenario when parking the car and the engine turns back on, then you have to turn it off anyway. Don't we have a feature where we can just push the stop/start button while in Drive and it'll automatically put it in Park? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Maybe your car is different than ours, but neither my wife nor I find it jarring. As I said, I've driven other cars with that tech, and had both good and bad experiences (I am pretty sure I've experienced what you would qualify as "jarring"). I can certainly see how a bad implementation would make people hate it. My personal experience is that the Palisade is one of the better ones. If yours is so jarring, maybe there's an issue with it? Have you tried a different Palisade or talked to your dealer about it?

I'm just trying to understand why @Rockoma5 hates it so much. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion - I'm trying to have a conversation about it. That's what a forum is for. And I appreciate you providing reasons why you don't like the system.

Which brings me to your last point. No, just saying "I don't like it" isn't usually a perfectly valid response, regardless of the subject. If, as an adult capable of making purchasing decisions as big as the cost of a Palisade, someone can't articulate why they don't like something, then their opinion isn't worth much. "I don't like it just because" is how children respond, not adults with the ability to reason and converse. Put yourself in the shoes of a Hyundai employee trying to gather feedback on the vehicle. Do you think this kind of response would help them? I haven't done the Hyundai corporate survey and the JD Power initial quality survey (I've received them but not yet completed them). I'd like to think the details we provide will be used to make the product better, so I'll try to provide details if they allow us to do so in the survey. I would hope everyone else would too, otherwise what's the point of complaining on a forum?

So again, thanks for actually justifying your opinion. I hope you let Hyundai know.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I "borrowed" this picture from the Telluride forum, he trimed a plastic card and wedged into the gap , you can see it on the right side of the switch.

·
Super Moderator
427 Posts

[/QUOTE

xerostatus
Don't let Eric bait you. He is a troll who just looks for people he can argue with ( apparently nothing better to do with his life)
No matter what you say he will tell you your wrong. If you feel a certain way about a feature he will spend all day telling you, you can't feel that way because he knows better how you must feel. To each his own but not with Eric
Just ignore him. That was the advise I was given on here by others and it still holds true

·
Registered
18 Posts
View attachment 378 I "borrowed" this picture from the Telluride forum, he trimed a plastic card and wedged into the gap , you can see it on the right side of the switch.
I did the same on my Palisade. It works and has had no observable downside in 8000 KM.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Don't let Eric bait you. He is a troll who just looks for people he can argue with ( apparently nothing better to do with his life)
No matter what you say he will tell you your wrong. If you feel a certain way about a feature he will spend all day telling you, you can't feel that way because he knows better how you must feel. To each his own but not with Eric
Just ignore him. That was the advise I was given on here by others and it still holds true
If you have a problem with me, feel free to contact me. I'm simply trying to have a conversation here. That's what a forum is for.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Which brings me to your last point. No, just saying "I don't like it" isn't usually a perfectly valid response, regardless of the subject. If, as an adult capable of making purchasing decisions as big as the cost of a Palisade, someone can't articulate why they don't like something, then their opinion isn't worth much. "I don't like it just because" is how children respond, not adults with the ability to reason and converse. Put yourself in the shoes of a Hyundai employee trying to gather feedback on the vehicle. Do you think this kind of response would help them? I haven't done the Hyundai corporate survey and the JD Power initial quality survey (I've received them but not yet completed them). I'd like to think the details we provide will be used to make the product better, so I'll try to provide details if they allow us to do so in the survey. I would hope everyone else would too, otherwise what's the point of complaining on a forum?

So again, thanks for actually justifying your opinion. I hope you let Hyundai know.
I hear you. Perhaps the "disconnect" here is that we seem to be jumping in and out of "different" conversations. Me and OP are basically saying "auto stop/start sucks. don't like, don't have any interest in providing further feedback improving it. Even if it was 'good'/'better', I still don't want it. Just want to disable it. How?" whereas you're more-so steering the conversation into "well, if you don't like it, then let's try to figure out a way to provide better feedback to improve it by stating why we don't like it in the first place."

Again, the initial premise of this topic is not for feedback of the system or its inherent merits. It's how we wish to disable it. I don't actually care if it ever gets better, or the tech improves, as far as I'm concerned. I bought this car for a large sum of money, I prefer having the choice to use it how I wish without needing to "justify" my opinion, no more than I'd have to justify, iuno, keeping my third row seats folded down near-permanently to enjoy the extra cargo space. Would you say I need to provide Hyundai with my feedback regarding my choice in seat arrangement, too? Nah, I'll just keep the third row down. Taking the "analogy" further, what if somehow that third row seat folded back UPWARDS by default, everytime I started the car? That would be annoying. And I'd certainly want to find a way to disable that lol...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gene said:

I can see through it @Gene and you are correct.

·
Registered
115 Posts
View attachment 378 I "borrowed" this picture from the Telluride forum, he trimed a plastic card and wedged into the gap , you can see it on the right side of the switch.
I did the same on my Palisade. It works and has had no observable downside in 8000 KM.
Okay, so now we're getting somewhere =D

@dld, may I ask how or where you wedged something in the button? I'm not sure if I'm looking at it correctly, but on the photo from the Telluride, is it whatever is wedged into the right side of that button that's doing the trick? Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Okay, so now we're getting somewhere =D

@dld, may I ask how or where you wedged something in the button? I'm not sure if I'm looking at it correctly, but on the photo from the Telluride, is it whatever is wedged into the right side of that button that's doing the trick? Thanks!
I cut a small piece of soft plastic (from an insurance card holder), folded it in half and forced it into the space to the right of the switch, almost exactly the same as in the Telluride picture. I put the fold up for for a finished look.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts