Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consider that at the last count (as of the 17th of Sept) Hyundai has sold 9,962 Palisades. This number in a market saturated with SUVs. Did Hyundai underestimate the appeal of the Palisade? A a delighted owner of a Limited AWD I must say yes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I get the feeling that there was way more promotion of the Telluride than the Palisade. I don't think they underestimated the appeal of the Palisade, I just don't think they've promoted it enough.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I get the feeling that there was way more promotion of the Telluride than the Palisade. I don't think they underestimated the appeal of the Palisade, I just don't think they've promoted it enough.
Eh? The Palisade only went on sale at the end of June/early July. They just started ads on TVs for the Palisade with the beginning of the NFL season. That's pretty quick considering they normally wait a little while to build up inventory. The 2020 Ford Explorer went on sale a little before the Palisade and Ford is also using the beginning of football season to start advertising. Hyundai is on target with regards to promotion.

As to the Telluride, I actually don't remember seeing a TV ad for it until recently and it's been for sale for several more months.

I think the popularity of the Palisade is a testament to the quality of the product. Just read/watch the reviews. And they most certainly underestimated its popularity, even in South Korea. Hyundai can't keep up with the demand.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hyundai would have sold a lot more Palisades if they had Limited's in stock. Dealers can't get the limited fast enough, sold almost as soon as they come off the truck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Eh? The Palisade only went on sale at the end of June/early July. They just started ads on TVs for the Palisade with the beginning of the NFL season. That's pretty quick considering they normally wait a little while to build up inventory. The 2020 Ford Explorer went on sale a little before the Palisade and Ford is also using the beginning of football season to start advertising. Hyundai is on target with regards to promotion.

As to the Telluride, I actually don't remember seeing a TV ad for it until recently and it's been for sale for several more months.

I think the popularity of the Palisade is a testament to the quality of the product. Just read/watch the reviews. And they most certainly underestimated its popularity, even in South Korea. Hyundai can't keep up with the demand.
Maybe it's just bad luck for me but I've seen more stuff on the Telluride than the Palisade, but that's very fair that the Palisade has only been on sale since June/July. It's definitely an incredible SUV don't get me wrong. Along with the NFL season I can't wait to see what other kinds of marketing Hyundai does for it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't know that the 'undersold' but Hyundai Motors definitely underestimated.

1) Hyundai Motors (parent company of Hyundai and Kia) woefully underestimated sales demand for the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisade @ 25K each for their first full year of sales. They're both on pace to exceed 60K each.

2) Custom orders are now in the 8 to 10 month wait range if you want to have your dealer order your Palisade from Ulsan, South Korea.

3) Many dealers are sold out of the high end Limited and especially AWD vehicles and are receiving 1 per month until the factory can catch up.

4) Many dealers are also gouging because they can. All dealers around me are adding $1K to $5K to MSRP on Limited models.

5) Sales are brisk and somewhat limited by the lack of LIMITED models available. We'll need to wait another week to see September results. So far through August 31st:
  • 34,160 Kia Tellurides have sold
  • 9,962 Hyundai Palisades have sold
Considering that Hyundai Palisades really didn't hit dealers until July, nearly 10K units is pretty strong. The Telluride was out with inventory in March giving them a 4 month head start.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Supply probably wasn't help any with 4,000 Hyundai and Kia cars resting in the water off St. Simonds Island, GA: "A cargo ship carrying about 4,000 cars capsized and caught fire early Sunday morning in St. Simons Sound off the coast of Brunswick, Georgia, according to NPR. ... It's owned by Hyundai Glovis, according to Reuters and the roughly 4,000 cars on the cargo ship are Hyundai and Kia vehicles that were slated for import.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sorry lots of misinformation in this post based on some poor early reporting.

1) Ship is in fact owned by Hyundai Glovis a shipping subsidiary

2) There were a few Kias on board and ‘other car makes’ which have not been disclosed.

3) The Kia Telluride is made in West Point, GA and no Tellurides there are being exported at this time. So there would be no reason to have them on this ship.

4) There were no Hyundai’s on board the ship so no impacts to production or supply that would be impacting any vehicles in the US.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry lots of misinformation in this post based on some poor early reporting.

1) Ship is in fact owned by Hyundai Glovis a shipping subsidiary

2) There were a few Kias on board and ‘other car makes’ which have not been disclosed.

3) The Kia Telluride is made in West Point, GA and no Tellurides there are being exported at this time. So there would be no reason to have them on this ship.

4) There were no Hyundai’s on board the ship so no impacts to production or supply that would be impacting any vehicles in the US.
You're mostly correct, but I'm not sure where you're getting that the Telluride is not being exported yet. For example, there is a recall on the Telluride because Middle-East-spec seat belts were installed on US models. So it stands to reason that they are building it for export. It seems available based on Kia UAE's website. So there could have been some on this ship.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You’re right. I meant it in reverse but did a terrible job of explaining. This ship had Kia’s produced overseas for export. Telluride are made in the US for sale in the US so no exported Tellurides are produced for the US so no reason for them to be on this ship.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts