Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask because the Telluride is a sister car, and the reviews are similarly glowing for both....and, at least in my area there are cars sitting in dealers lots that can be driven and evaluated...while finding a Palisade limited to test drive or buy involves a considerable wait....I was surprised to see quite a few Tellurides available in the Utah area....I know those are assembled in the US and got a head start by a few months in US sales, but I wonder if the demand is not as great for the Telluride as for the Palisade....

I have just compared the looks and features on-line, and I remain happy with my choice of the Palisade for cosmetic reasons....it just looks better, I think....but if I were to start over, I might price the Telluride and it's availability versus paying perhaps more for the Palisade and waiting...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I ask because the Telluride is a sister car, and the reviews are similarly glowing for both....and, at least in my area there are cars sitting in dealers lots that can be driven and evaluated...while finding a Palisade limited to test drive or buy involves a considerable wait....I was surprised to see quite a few Tellurides available in the Utah area....I know those are assembled in the US and got a head start by a few months in US sales, but I wonder if the demand is not as great for the Telluride as for the Palisade....

I have just compared the looks and features on-line, and I remain happy with my choice of the Palisade for cosmetic reasons....it just looks better, I think....but if I were to start over, I might price the Telluride and it's availability versus paying perhaps more for the Palisade and waiting...
Well, the Palisade sold 5,268 units in November for a total of 23,082 to date. The Telluride sold 6,824 units in the same period for a total of 52,108 to date. Last month, and the month before that, it was the same deal: Kia sold more Tellurides than Hyundai did Palisades.

So Tellurides do sell. I think the issue with Palisades is availability. I am thinking that if the Palisade was more readily available, it might be a lot closer to the Telluride numbers.

Source for the sales numbers:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the Palisade sold 5,268 units in November for a total of 23,082 to date. The Telluride sold 6,824 units in the same period for a total of 52,108 to date. Last month, and the month before that, it was the same deal: Kia sold more Tellurides than Hyundai did Palisades.

So Tellurides do sell. I think the issue with Palisades is availability. I am thinking that if the Palisade was more readily available, it might be a lot closer to the Telluride numbers.

Source for the sales numbers:

It seems from my sniffing of the wind, that if there were plenty of Palisade Limiteds available at dealers, that they would handily out-sell the Telluride.....perhaps that is a biased feeling, because the Palisade appeals to me more, but I'm guessing that most people who look at either of these cars are not buying them for being a rugged off-road vehicle...if they want serious off-roading they would be looking elsewhere.....and the only general comment I have heard on the Telluride is that it looks "rugged"...
Today opens the one-week window that my car is supposed to arrive at the dealer (between 3 Dec and 10Dec)....it disappeared a few days ago from the hyundaiusa website, which has led me to hope that it might be on a truck carrier somewhere between the California port and me...

·
Super Moderator
995 Posts
I shopped the Telluride first. Fortunately there were none in the colors we wanted. Because later we went to look at the Palisade. I'm not going to mistake it for another suv in a parking lot. I like the digital dash and the steel covers on the front door speakers. Wife didn't want to try and pull the 3rd row seats back up by the straps she can't reach. She also likes the storage under the console, now will have a place for her purse. Just some little things that we liked better and after the test drive, thought the Palisade rides better on these crappy roads here in Glendale.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I shopped for both for months. I read everything I could find, watched every video that I could see, test drove both, and nitpicked at every detail. It was a tough decision, because they’re both good. But in the end, you should get the car that you like best. There is uber-craziness in Tellurideland as well, with ginormous markups and minimum 4 month wait times, with some people waiting over six months for their SX Prestiges. My humble advice is to go for the one you really want. Oh, and I’m 100% in agreement with @Gene’s wife.

·
Super Moderator
475 Posts
The Telluride center console is 1/2 IN. wider than Palisade and just rubbed my knee uncomfortably so we ended up getting the Palisade and the KIA dealers had up to 5000 over MSRP and would no deal.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The telluride is what I originally wanted to buy. But I couldn't even sniff available inventory in my area. Dealerships were putting 5k markups on inventory they didn't even have yet, it was astonishing. Eventually I learned about the Palisade, and found I actually preferred it. Of course, finding a Palisade also proved challenging in its own right, but significantly easier than trying to find a telluride. Either way, I'm happy the way it shook out.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yes there both Great. Wife and i liked look inside and out a bit better of the Palisade. Too much to go into typing from my Phone but depending on your priorities and budget each had advantages at different trim and option levels.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I initally looked at the Telluride, but I couldn’t get the top end model. I tried to get one from all over the country without any luck. Knowing that, the day the Palisade was released I was at the dealership and was the first to get the limited. The Palisade included all that was options on the Telluride at a lesser price. I do prefer the Palisade body style over the Kia.

·
Banned
674 Posts
We drove them both and picked the Palisade based on:

1) My wife preferred the styling inside and out on the Palisade.
2) Power 3rd row
3) Fit and finish. The Telluride we test drove had some interior panel fit issues and my wife said the steering wheel and buttons looked cheap on the Kia.
4) Ride quality.
5) Digital dash.

The recent head 2 head review scored the Hyundai higher in nearly every category versus the Kia, except styling. Obviously if you're here you already made your styling decision.

·
Registered
56 Posts

We did test drive the Telluride we liked everything about it except for the way it handled. It just didn’t feel “solid” to me. I really like how the Palisade handles in Sport and Comfort mode. Also, I’ve heard that their are parts in the Palisade that are engineered in Japan that are not on the Telluride which is why the Palisade handles better. I do like the gear shifter better on the Telluride and that it looks a little tougher but that’s it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The November sales numbers are out....they are compared in the chart to the 2018 numbers for all cars...zero Palisades in 2018, of course....interesting that the sedans sales numbers are down while the Santa Fe numbers are up, and of course the Palisade sales are substantial....over 5000 Palisades sold in November, and over 23000 for the year....the Sonata is down rather sharply, and one can guess that some of those potential Sonata customers were swayed by the new Palisade....

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The November sales numbers are out....they are compared in the chart to the 2018 numbers for all cars...zero Palisades in 2018, of course....interesting that the sedans sales numbers are down while the Santa Fe numbers are up, and of course the Palisade sales are substantial....over 5000 Palisades sold in November, and over 23000 for the year....the Sonata is down rather sharply, and one can guess that some of those potential Sonata customers were swayed by the new Palisade....
Sedans are down across the industry. Ford won't make any more sedans, for example. It's not surprising.

As to the Sonata, it's probably because the new one is just hitting dealerships this month.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just to chime in we didn't consider the Telluride for the sole reason that the only Kia dealer in town is horrible to work with. The service department flat out lied to me regarding service intervals and unnecessary maintenance and the sales department use high pressure sales tactics. My daughter wanted a Kia Sportage and I went with her to help negotiate the deal. After two hours of the typical back and forth I left to use the rest room and when I came back there were three salesmen leaning over her holding out a pen for her to sign a contract that had mysteriously appeared. I should have pulled the plug but she really wanted a Sportage so we made the best deal we could. Fortunately two months later she moved to Denver and doesn't have to deal with them any longer. Except for taking our Sedona in for service I won't set foot in our local Kia dealer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nope I couldn’t find any telluride and I was super impressed with palisades enterior and exteriors. Wife loved it too. I love the sport mode it has that extra kick in it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same with me. I went to the Kia dealer first, and didn't care for the salesman/tactics. I had purchased from the Hyundai dealer in town before and they are no pressure. Also, if i'm not mistaken, you couldn't get the bucket seats on the middle level model for the Telluride, so I was out there, as I didn't want the base or Limited. After purchasing the Palisade, I now like the looks of it better when I see the Telluride out on the road.

·
Registered
456 Posts
As mentioned above I obviously chose the Palisade, but I was willing to buy either. At the core of the cars are the same it all comes down which mix of look, prices, features, availability, dealer network, etc are important to you. These vary a lot by trim level and what is important to you.

Some examples Palisade SE does not have BVM, or Side mirror blinkers
Palisade SE, SEL without options come with 18 inch wheels which some prefer for ride and handling.
SEL can be had without sun roof and that way start -$900
Telluride LX does come with BVM, or Side mirror blinkers
Telluride comes with 3 more cubic feet of Cargo Space
Telluride come with Pleather sets instead of Cloth for LX and S
Telluride S and higher come with 10 way power drivers seat
Telluride LX and S come on 20 inch wheels
Telluride EX comes on blacked out 18s, leather, and drivers package equivalent for around 37K and 39K with AWD. It is really good Value if its feature set matches your needs
Telluride are not available with rear auto folding 3rd row, and no Key Fob remote start, Blue Link Only on models that have it.

I could go on and on. You really have to look at the all the features of each and which one meet your needs.

My suggestion once you figure out what features you want to pay for is test drive including the trims and or options you actually want (wheel size does change the feel) shop both and buy whichever one comes closes to meeting your needs for the best price if price is important to you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
While I was perusing the Telluride forum it seems that the Telluride only gets 1 year UVO service, while Palisade get 3 years of Bluelink. Doesn't sound like much of a difference, but if I remember right it's more than a $500 benefit.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I don't know how much Kia charges for UVO, but for Hyundai, there are 3 packages. After the 3 years, each package costs:
$9.90/month OR $98.73/y OR $177.96/2y OR $252.22/3y

Remember to multiply by 3 since there are 3 packages.

These prices may change 3 years from now when all of us on this forum start to think about renewing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts