Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching a lot of dash cam videos on You Tube. I bought one and stuck it on my windshield. Some time back I got into a fender bender and it absolutely wasn't my fault but couldn't prove it. So anyone have success finding a real good cam for front and rear. The rear view cam is just viewing from the front, thru to the back of the vehicle or would you put one up on the rear window.
Anybody have one installed and hard wired to the fuse box so that is is on all the time. I am not going to install it myself but I would pay to have one installed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Why didn't the cam work for you? Was it off? Need more details.

If you want a cam in the rear, most vehicles have a rear 12v power outlet to power another camera (haven't checked the Palisade, though, but surely it does.) You can just stick a camera on the back window if you also want a rear facing camera, and run a separate camera in the front. Is that what you are looking for? Ones made for the vehicle need to be plugged into a 12v power outlet that turns off when the car turns off, which most 12v outlets do.

I bought a $40 dash cam that installs via suction cup to the windshield a couple years ago that I used in my old car. Very handy. Turns on when I turn on the car, and shuts off when I turn the ignition off. I used the footage from it one time, but otherwise it just does records and then when the memory card fills up, re-writes over the oldest footage. If I ever have footage I want to save, I need to pull the memory card.

I haven't installed the cam in my Palisade yet, but definitely will this weekend. I was on a 2-lane road today, and some idiot in the other lane started gradually crossing the center line about a quarter mile from me and kept drifting in my lane until he passed me. I saw it far enough ahead so compensated by driving on the right shoulder. I kept thinking, surely he's going to notice and get back over. Nope. Even with my defensive driving, that dam fool came awful close to colliding with me and he didn't even change his direction until he had passed me. He was easily halfway into my lane. He passed me with about a foot between our cars (it wasn't a full shoulder). Wish I had that recorded on camera. It's the closest I've ever come to being in a head-on wreck at highway speeds. Happened very fast. Dam fool and his phone.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got the Blackvue 2 channel dashcam on Amazon and installed it by myself. Hardwire to the fuse box and set to 12hrs parking mode recording or 12V cut off whatever happens first.

There are 2 cameras, the main unit in the front and connect to the rear cam by wire. Very simple and easy to install. Took me about 1 hour from start to finish and everything look nice and clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a Thinkware F800 Pro, which is also a dual-channel (two cameras, front and back). I don't know much about the install, since a shop did it for me. But shouldn't be hard if you have a reasonable sense of what you're dong, I was in and out of the shop within an hour or so. Product is nice, good video quality, and it has "cloud" features but I basically ignore them since I don't have a dedicated mobile hotspot for it.

But Thinkware dashcams are known for their "buffered parking" mode. This basically allows the cam to capture some time after and before an incident occurs, so you can get the full scene. So, say you were parked and car was off, someone runs into you and takes off, the camera would be able to record the approach of the impact, the impact, and departure as well.

It also has a time lapse option for parking mode, so that you can capture more video (at a slower frame rate) to save battery and storage space.

Thinkware also has a built-in battery voltage monitor system, you can set the "minimum voltage" of your car battery to prevent the dashcam from completely draining your battery. I think other brands require a separate component for this function, IIRC.

In any case, you can't go wrong with brands like blackvue, thinkware, street guardian, etc. Viofo is another more budget-oriented brand that seems to be popular.

·
Registered
121 Posts
For a vehicle that is surrounded with cameras you would think that this feature would be integrated into the vehicle. Even if it only stores (or overwrites) the information every 24 hours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got the Blackvue 2 channel dashcam on Amazon and installed it by myself. Hardwire to the fuse box and set to 12hrs parking mode recording or 12V cut off whatever happens first.

There are 2 cameras, the main unit in the front and connect to the rear cam by wire. Very simple and easy to install. Took me about 1 hour from start to finish and everything look nice and clean.
I am about to get my new Palisade and I already have the DR-900s that I pulled from my sold vehicle. Was the standard 20ft cable long enough for the rear camera? Thanks!

·
Registered
897 Posts
What is the story behind your mirror? It does not look like mine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's the Palisade scanner, it will scan and look for other Pali around you within 2 miles radius. JK :cool:

Blackvue 2 channel dashcam hardwire to the fuse panel for front and back recording.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@onexcite - any tips for cable routing of the rear camera? Looks like the cable would be pretty easy to route through the channels to the door and come out around the frame from the rear window, but I'm most worried about routing a cable through the headliner without hurting anything or interfering with the side airbags.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know you mentioned @onexcite but I ran the cable down the drivers side. You can push it down around any trim and behind any molding. I removed small section of trim on the liftage next to the glass and ran the cable through the grommet. It was all really easy. I used a plastic trim tool.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just pull down the rubber molding and round your cable. I ran it along the headliner from A to B to C pillar without removing anything or interfere with airbags. The rest just like @sticker500 doing. Very easy and factory clean look.

Here is a couple video for you to get ideas:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just ran along the edge of the headliner up to drivers door and then over. Used the pins to USB adapter as mentioned in other treads and it's a great clean install. Very easy and quick.

·
Registered
295 Posts
For a vehicle that is surrounded with cameras you would think that this feature would be integrated into the vehicle. Even if it only stores (or overwrites) the information every 24 hours.
It would be so easy to do in almost every late model car. The cameras are all there. So there must be a legal reason they don't offer it.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
271 Posts
If you don't care about rear check out Raven Connected smart 4G LTE connected camera. It has an exterior and interior camera. Super easy connection through OBD

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just ran along the edge of the headliner up to drivers door and then over. Used the pins to USB adapter as mentioned in other treads and it's a great clean install. Very easy and quick.

View attachment 1895
View attachment 1896
View attachment 1897 View attachment 1898
Do you or does anyone have a breakdown of the 4 wires that go to the rear view mirror? I also just tapped into the red and black but that appears to be always on power and I have "draining the battery" anxiety.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Do you or does anyone have a breakdown of the 4 wires that go to the rear view mirror? I also just tapped into the red and black but that appears to be always on power and I have "draining the battery" anxiety.
I know it's here someplace... Not sure where. There is ground, 12v, accessory and reverse. Think it's black, red, yellow and green ?? I used ground and accessory for dashcams and then ground and reverse to power the monitor and video receiver that I mount on the dash while using the wireless camera mounted in my camper so I can see behind the camper while backing.

I did have some issue with an older dashcam that would drain battery from my old truck, but no issues with anything, but I did select to not use the always on power wire as I will go days and days without driving now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts