Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I unlocked my car using the button on the driver's door, got in, started the car, and drove off. Ten minutes later, I arrived at the store, put the car into Park, engaged the parking brake, and shut down the engine. I closed the door, and pressed the button on the door handle to lock the car, and nothing happened. I opened, and closed the door again, tried to lock it, and nothing. I then pulled the fob from my pocket, and tried to lock the door with the fob, and nothing.

I got back in the car, started the engine, disengaged the parking brake, and placed the car in drive. I then reversed the order shutting everything down. Got out, and still could not lock the car. I left the car unlocked, got what I needed, and headed home.

Upon arriving at home, I put the car in Park, engaged the parking brake, and turned off the car. I pressed the button on the door handle and, you guessed it, it locked just fine! I walked about 25 feet away and used the fob to unlock and re-lock the car, with no problem at all!

Any idea what happened? Anybody else have this happen? The car only has 2500 Km on it, so I doubt that the battery in the fob is low.

Suggestions? Comments?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello Kitcheg, has this problem, repeated itself? From what you stated, it appears the key fob battery shouldn’t be the issue since you unsuccessfully attempted to lock your vehicle using the door switch which does not rely on the fob. It almost appears a random fault code occurred then cleared itself. Otherwise it may be a hardware issue. Did you notice if the auto door locks actuated when you drove home?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Kitcheg, has this problem, repeated itself? From what you stated, it appears the key fob battery shouldn’t be the issue since you unsuccessfully attempted to lock your vehicle using the door switch which does not rely on the fob. It almost appears a random fault code occurred then cleared itself. Otherwise it may be a hardware issue. Did you notice if the auto door locks actuated when you drove home?
The problem has not re-occurred. As you say, it appears to be a random fault. The fob works normally now, including remote start. I did not notice if the doors auto-locked on the way home. I will report back if it ever happens again.

·
Super Moderator
1,258 Posts
only time mine did that was when my wife left her purse, key fob in it, in the car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, yesterday I was leaving Wal-Mart, and the anti-theft alarm sounded as I went through the door. Of course I didn't have anything, and the security guy and I both found this weird. When I got to the car, I couldn't open the hatch, or the doors! Could it be related to the magnetic field at the exit of the store? I tried repeatedly to open any door or hatch, and nothing worked either from the fob or from the door handle directly. I finally removed the key from the fob, and was going to open the door manually, but realized I couldn't manage while holding the shopping bags. So I put the key back in the fob and re-arranged the shopping bags. I was about the remove the key again, and I decided to press the button on the fob again, and low and behold, the door unlocked! WTF!
I go to the back of the car, and sure enough the hatch opens using the handle. I put the bags in and get into the car, and go to start the car, and it says Key not in vehicle. I'm holding it in my hand! WTF! SO I try a couple of more times and nothing. I remove the physical key from the fob, and re-insert it and nothing. Then on the dash. It shows me a video about starting the key by touching the fob to the start button. I was going to try that, but instead tried one more time the normal way, and Vrooom, it starts! Off I go and get home. I try the fob for all functions and everything works fine. I check the battery in the fob, and it measures 3.06 volts, so all is ok with that. What the heck is going on? A defective fob, or something in the car? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello Kitcheg, I know I don’t need to say this however problems like these can be extremely frustrating. From my perspective, I don’t think the store scanner code relates to the vehicle problems your facing. I read your first post and also believe the fob is not the issue since the door lock did not require the fob. I also don’t believe your vehicle is experiencing any grounding issues due to new age and condition. Due to you experiencing a number of different issues I wonder if there is a processor/controller that controls these functions and this is the root of the problem? I think you need to take your vehicle to the dealer to see if any fault codes can be retrieved. If there are no fault codes, and the service department wants to wait until recurrence, I would request they explain the control system to you. If there is/are common components that could lead to the problems experienced, I would request that they order it/them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Kitcheg, I know I don’t need to say this however problems like these can be extremely frustrating. From my perspective, I don’t think the store scanner code relates to the vehicle problems your facing. I read your first post and also believe the fob is not the issue since the door lock did not require the fob. I also don’t believe your vehicle is experiencing any grounding issues due to new age and condition. Due to you experiencing a number of different issues I wonder if there is a processor/controller that controls these functions and this is the root of the problem? I think you need to take your vehicle to the dealer to see if any fault codes can be retrieved. If there are no fault codes, and the service department wants to wait until recurrence, I would request they explain the control system to you. If there is/are common components that could lead to the problems experienced, I would request that they order it/them.
I agree. In order to eliminate any doubt about the battery, I installed a new battery that measured 3.2 volts, which is .2 volts more than the one that was in there. Now if it happens again, off I go right to the dealer and get them to fix/explain, or replace anything that is defective. I'll keep you all posted, and would love to hear if anyone else experiences this. If nothing else, I reviewed the procedure for opening the car door, and starting the vehicle with a dead fob.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade Limited, Maroon w/ light grey interior
25 Posts
I agree. In order to eliminate any doubt about the battery, I installed a new battery that measured 3.2 volts, which is .2 volts more than the one that was in there. Now if it happens again, off I go right to the dealer and get them to fix/explain, or replace anything that is defective. I'll keep you all posted, and would love to hear if anyone else experiences this. If nothing else, I reviewed the procedure for opening the car door, and starting the vehicle with a dead fob.
Any reoccurences?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any reoccurences?
So far, so good. No new occurrences as of yet. Perhaps the operating parameters of the FOB are very narrow requiring more than 3 volts to operate reliably. The new lithium ion battery should last a year or more I would think. I'll certainly post if it should happen again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
On a similar issue perhaps... Why can't we lock the car when it's on and stepping away from it?

My infiniti was able to lock when I left it on, took the fob with me to step away and then unlock when I got back. The Palisade has a long beed when I leave the car on, step away with the fob, and it won't let me lock it. Is there a fix? If not, that's an annoyance for me.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade Limited, Maroon w/ light grey interior
25 Posts
On a similar issue perhaps... Why can't we lock the car when it's on and stepping away from it?

My infiniti was able to lock when I left it on, took the fob with me to step away and then unlock when I got back. The Palisade has a long beed when I leave the car on, step away with the fob, and it won't let me lock it. Is there a fix? If not, that's an annoyance for me.
Yeah, my wife hates it. She came from a Durango. She was able to lock it with it running and come back to it and unlock it. I'm in my 4th Sonata, and 5th Hyundai overall with the Palisade. So, I've known this about Hyundai although I never understood why they had to make it that way. It is an annoyance but I learned to deal with it MANY years ago.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, my wife hates it. She came from a Durango. She was able to lock it with it running and come back to it and unlock it. I'm in my 4th Sonata, and 5th Hyundai overall with the Palisade. So, I've known this about Hyundai although I never understood why they had to make it that way. It is an annoyance but I learned to deal with it MANY years ago.
Damn... I hate that beep...

Wonder if possible to lock with bluelink? 🤔

1 - 13 of 13 Posts