Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the 7500 mile service performed and was surprised to find out that according to the Dealership Service Dept the Palisade came with Conventional motor oil. I asked for Synthetic. It surprised me to know that Hyundai started this vehicle with Conventional motor oil.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah, factory-fill is conventional and also service intervals are based conventional. Couple things to note:

• "Conventional" nowadays is really just "synthetic blend". It's actually more rare to have completely pure dinosaur juice these days, as far as I know. Also, modern "conventional" oils are very, very good. Unless you have a specific application for a premium full synthetic (i.e. high performance sports cars, etc.), conventional is perfectly and more-than-adequately sufficient. A good modern conventional oil actually can potentially last up to 10,000+miles, in certain applications (but unfortunately, not our cars; see below).
  • Because of how our GDI engines work, it's better to change your oil more often (synthetic or not) than to go with a "better" oil and extend your intervals. Even if the oil itself still may have "life" to it, GDI engines cause things like fuel dilution which happens with conventional or synthetic, inevitably.
  • Regardless of the misleading terminology, most people will in fact fall under "severe conditions" category for driving. Unless you live in Fantasy Utopia Land and drive at sustained speeds the entire time, take longer drives every single time you start the car, etc. the vaaast majority of folks will fall under the "severe" driving category. It might benefit you in the long term if you consider going with a lower OCI than 7500 miles, in most cases for most folks.
Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just to add to that that's the around 3500 mile category. Its meant for people that make short trips, drive in lots of City traffic and other factors. Truth is changing your oil and filter is pretty inexpensive way to make sure your car is healthy. My understanding is Synthetic does not really let you go longer, it just holds up better toward the end of a service interval. That is if your service interval is 3500 and you change it then synthetic will be in some what better shape for a bit longer, but still not as good as freshly changed conventional.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts