Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the most recent episode of Talking Cars with Consumer Reports, they talked about the Palisade and how it fared in their testing.

They mentioned how it scored less than the Telluride, with one of the more notable things being the different tire fitment (245/50/R20 for the Palisade vs. 245/60/18 for the Telluride).

They also talk about how the Palisade is a IIHS Top Safety Pick+ while the Telluride is a Top Safety Pick.

The section on the Palisade starts at 8:17. What do you think about their assessment on the Palisade?

·
Registered
129 Posts
You can always buy a palisade in the se version and get 18 inch wheels or get the 20"s on the telluride. Test these on an even field for ride.
If I were going to get the suv for lots of off roading I would choose the telluride over the Palisade but if you are doing off roading there are much better suv's than the Telluride or palisade.
On the highway I prefer the Palisade plus the extra's you get digital display power folding rear seats.
My Genesis G90 has a shift lever for the same electronic gear shifting as the Palisade, The buttons are easier to use in the Palisade than my G90. Try putting the G90 in park.
Only advantage I give the Telluride is the power folding outside rear view mirrors

·
Registered
48 Posts
Agree with comments by Gene. To make a distinction about the cars due to the wheel size that happens to be on the cars they tested is just silly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, the wheels/tires comparison was a stretch. Most of their concerns about the Palisade seem to personal rather than actual things that are wrong with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah frustrated with CR for that their review. They have been "renting" "borrowing" fairly top of the line vehicles and deciding goodness and value on that trim level only. Lazy. Every model car comes in different trim levels and offers differing values and capabilities and values and different price points. They also slammed the Pali in full review for LX model not having Blind spot (Thus they lowered the total ranking score 84 versus 90 point total). Top 4: Subi was 96, Teli 90, Highlander 85, and Pali 84.

The Pali SE and SEL without options comes with 18s. The Teli LX comes with 18s, the S with 20s, and the EX 18s (what they tested) and then back to 20s as you climb further up their trim latter.

Plenty of us want to be middle of the road, everyone has a different budget. Why not review the real middle trim or if possible and adjust opinions accordingly against all trims. There are only two tire sizes on these SUV why not check out both. Everything else is just "features".

Side Note: Rubber does make a difference P245/60R18 vs P245/50R20
The 18s have 20 percent more "rubber" between you and the road and some think they handle nicer while giving a better ride because of it (Ratio of Rubber height to tire size 60 versus 50 over 18 vs 20).

Almost Everyone test drives before they buy though its not always easy to test drive the trim you want.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Same thing applies to stopping distance
Palisade comes with Bridgestone dueler tires
Telluride comes with much better Michelin tires
So Telluride stops quicker.
It isn't just CR who does that, most reviewers do.
That is like saying this car is better than that car,
because I like the looks better.
This car is better at off roading, just because it has
A more aggressive tire tread.
Than that car witch is equipped with touring tires.
Oh yes my Palisade is much better than the Mercedes GLS
because the Palisade has the HUD speed color I like and
the Mercedes doesn't

·
Registered
16 Posts
Might have been tire size as well on stopping distance. As to models people review its basically what they're given by the manufactures most of the time. The process starts with press events and proceeds to loaners. Even if they get a non top trip its frequently loaded with every option making it more or less the same as a top trim.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Might have been tire size as well on stopping distance. As to models people review its basically what they're given by the manufactures most of the time. The process starts with press events and proceeds to loaners. Even if they get a non top trip its frequently loaded with every option making it more or less the same as a top trim.
CR buys their cars anonymously. They don’t get loaners from the manufacturers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not true they rent loaners all the time. They talk about it on the CR Car talk Program. Perhaps for full reviews. I suspect they don't buy all the cars they do full reviews on either. Maybe too expensive compared to other things they review. EDIT Eric linked below to their purchase policy on CR's Full car reviews versus quick evaluations** Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not true they rent loaners all the time. They talk about it on the CR Car talk Program. Perhaps for full reviews. I suspect they don't buy all the cars they do full reviews on either. Maybe too expensive compared to other things they review.
I don’t know about quick first drives, but they most certainly do for full reviews.

And I’m unclear as to what you mean by “rent loaners”. They either rent them (which would be anonymous) or they’re loaners. Can’t be both.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Watch the CR Talking Cars Show and judge what they mean. In the first look/review section they use the term Rent from Hyundai or X Brand. Not sure how we could think this renting is anonymous when their getting them from what appears to be the manufactures.

The reliability data comes solely from their members. With new models their making a guess based on manufactures other cars.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Watch the CR Talking Cars Show and judge what they mean. In the first look/review section they use the term Rent from Hyundai or X Brand. Not sure how we could think this renting is anonymous when their getting them from what appears to be the manufactures.

The reliability data comes solely from their members. With new models their making a guess based on manufactures other cars.
Like I said, maybe they do for quick/first drives. But they do buy cars for full reviews. See here: https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-how-consumer-reports-tests-cars/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yup but they publish information based on both rented and purchased though (thanks for the link for Full review procedures). I completely respect CR "non profit" mission. I do not think CR is good at every kind of product review and naturally different people and publications have different priorities. Setting aside cars for a moment... Say in laptops. A programer, a gamer, a student, a parent, an engineer, an architect, etc, etc, each have different needs in a laptop. We are fortunate that we have so many sources of information for some products now. There are some categories of products where CR maybe one of very few sources of good information.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts