Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a brand new Palisade had 5 miles on it. Just came off the boat and didn't have a window sticker nor was it detailed out.

On the test drive it was pulling to the right. I bought it with the salemans assurance the pull would be taken care of. I picked up the car at

closing time the next day. Left the dealership and it was still pulling. Turned around and they had already closed. 8:30 the next morning

I went to the service dept and they said there was a TSB and Hyundai was aware of the issue and was recommending to drive the car for

at least 100 miles and it should take car of itself. They did a 4 wheel alignment check and rotated the tires at that time and it didn't help.

I informed the salesman and he even test drove it and service was going to have to fix the issue.

At 173 miles today I brought the car back to service and they said there was nothing they could do. So I took all my things out and left it

with them and went to my office and called Hyundai for a replacement. They said someone would contact me in 1 to 5 days.

This afternoon the dealership called and asked that I come back and test drive it with the technician and see if it was better.

THEY DID A FORCED ALIGNMENT... THEY MISALIGNED IT TO MAKE IT RUN STRAIGHT

I can't belive a company would do or recommend such a bandaid on a brand new vehicle. Guess I may have to call my attorney.

BTW I love the Palisade and want another one. But one that is safe and doen't put me in a ditch or is bandaided up.

Here is my question: Has anyone else run into this issue and did it fix itself or what was the outcome of the issue?

As always, thanx in advance,

-=Fred=-

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for your input

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just purchased a brand new Palisade had 5 miles on it. Just came off the boat and didn't have a window sticker nor was it detailed out.

On the test drive it was pulling to the right. I bought it with the salemans assurance the pull would be taken care of. I picked up the car at

closing time the next day. Left the dealership and it was still pulling. Turned around and they had already closed. 8:30 the next morning

I went to the service dept and they said there was a TSB and Hyundai was aware of the issue and was recommending to drive the car for

at least 100 miles and it should take car of itself. They did a 4 wheel alignment check and rotated the tires at that time and it didn't help.

I informed the salesman and he even test drove it and service was going to have to fix the issue.

At 173 miles today I brought the car back to service and they said there was nothing they could do. So I took all my things out and left it

with them and went to my office and called Hyundai for a replacement. They said someone would contact me in 1 to 5 days.

This afternoon the dealership called and asked that I come back and test drive it with the technician and see if it was better.

I can't belive a company would do or recommend such a bandaid on a brand new vehicle. Guess I may have to call my attorney.

BTW I love the Palisade and want another one. But one that is safe and doen't put me in a ditch or is bandaided up.

Here is my question: Has anyone else run into this issue and did it fix itself or what was the outcome of the issue?

-=Fred=-
My AWD Limited had a slight pull to the right, and I had to turn the steering wheel slightly to the left to drive straight ahead. I brought it to the dealer, and they confirmed that "the toe angles were off". They aligned it, and it's been fine since then.

·
Registered
663 Posts
my limited awd tracks straight but i noticed the steering wheel is slightly canted off center. When I bought my 2011 Sonata I had the same issue and they aligned it so everything looked and drove straight.

My palisade is off by so little, but I think I'll call the nearest dealer to get their input on it. I don't want to bring it in for just the alignment since I also have the wind noise issue I know they won't fix right now. In colder temperatures the rear seats squeak too (another common issue)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here I sit a week later with still no palisade

got one call from the general manager who said he would attempt to swap it with another dealer but wasn't likely becaue he would have to devulge the forced alignment lol

hyundai corporate service called me and said they couldn't help me and past me up the line redeived another call today from corporate new case worker who said she would review the case and get back in 1 to 2 weeks with a possible buy back senario...

car is still at dealership and I am refusing to pick it up...

i'll keep yall up to date

-=Fred=-

Reactions: amgp

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is the very first thing they did... a 4 wheel alignment and tire swap... no change

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
May last car that pulled to the right, new car only 1200 miles, it was a sticking brake caliper.
No body believed it as it was new but bad caliper

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Hyundai corporate called me back and told me there was nothing they would or could do for me... So I called my attorney and he recommended that I go up the line

at the dealership and take one last shot and if I wasn't satisfied we would sue them.

This dealership owns like 10 other dealerships of all brands and I was able to get the sales director over all the dealerships and he was unaware of my dilema.

He told me he was going to drop everything and head straight to the dealership and called me. About 3 hours later he informed me he took his top technician and they got it fixed.

He said they did a high speed wheel balance and it was now driving perfect. HMMMMM

I took the Palisade to an independent shop the next morning to check the alignment and they said it was too new and the specs weren't in the machine and would probably

be about 6 months.

I'll be watching for tire wear but for now I am enjoying the ride.

Thanx everyone for your input.

Stay safe

-=Fred=-

Reactions: CVP33 and amgp

·
Super Moderator
557 Posts
I am sure the did more than do a high speed wheel balance as that would be for vibration. I bet they did another alignment to compensate pulling to the right as some FWD vehicles have a tendency to pull to the right because of the shorter axle on the right side.
Torque steer is mainly caused by uneven half-shafts between the transaxle and wheels. When excessive torque is applied, one shaft flexes more than the other, thus causing one wheel to momentarily spin slower than the other. This causes a steering effect. Ford engineered a simple method of eliminating (or at least reducing) torque steer by expanding the transaxle a little further to equalize the lengths of the halfshafts found on front wheel drive cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So Jetech, should I be watching for uneven tire wear?

·
Super Moderator
557 Posts
I would just keep an eye on it. I have a hard time believing they did forced alignment i have never heard of that I know they do a forced wheel balance but if it is going down the road straight and steering wheel is centered you should be ok. and if they did an alignment did they do front and back or just the fronts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just wondering...

Do you have AWD?

When you drive with Lane Following Assist (LFA) ON - will it stay in the center of the lane?

·
Registered
1 Posts

-=Fred=-
I have had the same issue. Just dropped mine off for the 3rd time. I was told that even driving it a half mile down the road would put it out of alignment! They said they have aligned it twice. I asked them when the last time they had their alignment machine calibrated, I was told they do it once a year. Maybe today they will rotate the tires. I was told tire ware was an issue too. I am so beyond frustrated. Told if it wasn’t fixed this time they would be getting the car back and my attorney would be getting involved.

·
Super Moderator
1,760 Posts
Try taking the Palisade to someplace like Discount tire.
Tell them what it is doing, if steering wheel is straight or pulling
to a side, vibrating. everything. Ask them to check and what dealer said.
If they find it is out of spec. ask for a print out of the problem.
Contact Hyundai customer service and ask them to reimburse you
for the billing. Send them a copy of the report.

·
Registered
663 Posts
@Keri I had a pulling issue to go along with an off-centered steering wheel. Dealer tried to do an alignment and wasn't about to fix the issue (it pulled to the right).

I took the car back to the dealer after driving home and realizing nothing was actually fixed, and found they chipped the paint on two of my wheels!!!

Service rep tells me it's aligned and this guy implies I'm trying to blame them for pre-existing damage, and I hear him drop a "geez F this shit" comment behind my back!!!! Wow

So the manager goes on a test drive with me. He's driving with me in the passenger seat. He admits the steering wheel is off and the car is slightly drifting to the right. We get back to the dealership and he tells me his "techs" told him the car is aligned as best they can do and there is no way to center the steering wheel without pulling the wheel off and centering it in that manner.

I called BS on the pulling of the steering wheel. I know just enough about car alignments to know exactly what they need to do to center the wheel, but after I told him what his techs need to do to fix it he basically just blew me off and said they can't do it. He then said he will talk to the owner and my chipped wheels.

Within two weeks I had two new wheels to replace the chipped ones. The chips were obviously made by the alignment machine as the chips were on the outside rim of the wheel edges, and all the chips were 8.5 inches apart. The calibration arms on an alignment machine attach to the wheels using metal arms that get cranked down to tighten them to the wheel rims, and these arms span 8.5 inches!

I took my Palisade to a race shop. The owner agreed to do my car even though they don't work on SUVs. I was willing to pay to get this fixed right. This shop got the drifting fixed and centered my steering wheel. The race shop's measurements before the alignment compared to the "after" measurements from the dealership showed a discrepancy, which means the dealership's machine was out of alignment.

I contacted the dealership to tell them their machine is in need of alignment and how I got my car tracking perfectly straight and the steering wheel was straightened too. The manager offered to pay for the service, which was a nice gesture.

So I understand your frustration. I wasted my time at the dealership and they damaged my wheels. Sure, in the end they replaced my wheels and paid for the outside alignment service, but I'll never ask a dealership to do an alignment for me again.

You can try your dealership again, or do what Gene suggested and I did, and that's find a good alignment shop. Shops that prep cars for racing are the best. My shop used a machine that attaches to the tires, not the wheels so there was no risk in damaging the wheels, and a specialty shop will more than likely have newer equipment and also better maintained.

·
Registered
2 Posts

-=Fred=-
Yes I have same problem they alignment two times still same I might change steering rack let see if get better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts