Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I fell in love with the Palisade. It is an awesome SUV.

One of the features we loved vs other SUVs we looked at was the one-touch button on the 2nd row seats that releases the seat and makes it very easy to walk into the 3rd row.

But then my wife asked the salesperson the million dollar question. What happens if our 7 year old pushes the button while someone is in the seat and the car is moving? What happens?

The obvious answers was, it won't work...there will be some safety mechanism that prevents this from happening.

So we tested it...with all different scenarios...car in park, drive, moving...someone in the seat or the seat was empty...no matter the permutation, if someone presses the button on the second row seat to release it, the button will do as asked and release the seat.

And once the seat is released, it can slide forward rather quickly.

Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening? Something in a settings menu?

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you try it while someone was sitting in the seat? It’s my understanding that it’s more of a released latch/hydraulic release, and not anything powered, so I wonder if the weight of a body (or anything else) against the seat back would prevent that from happening? I don’t have a Palisade to play with yet, so I can’t test this hypothesis. Also, where are the buttons for this? For some reason I was thinking they were located behind the 3rd row.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what the actual mechanism is, but when you press the button it sounds like a motor release a latch and then the mechanical system makes the seatback spring forward and the seat base 'springs' forward.

There are two buttons on each captains chair. One next to the headrest. The other is on the side.

The button requires very little force to press. Unlike a traditional lever which requires more force to use.

When an adult is in the seat and their legs are on the ground, you can easily override the springs with your leg and back muscles. Not a major issue.

HOWEVER, if you were a child in a car seat or booster and your legs did not touch the ground, the seat will just slide forward. I tested this myself by just raising my legs and pushing the button.

It's possible that having weight in the seat actually made it worse - made it slide with more force.

Any ideas for a solution would be great.

I want to buy the car, but for now, we can not get past this issue.

The deale couldn't come up with a solution and told me to call Hyundai Customer Care, so I did.

I called Hyundai Customer Care and they sent me back to the dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know with a car seat strapped to it even when the botton is pressed the seat will not move forward and release.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Proudx

Thanks for your feedback.

I am not sure why your experience was different than mine as attaching a car seat does not trigger some safety mechanism (at least to my knowledge)

If no one is in the seat and you press the button, you can hear a mechanical noise that the button was pressed...and then a second later the seat locks are leased and it slides forward.

Are you saying that with you car seat attached, if the button is pressed the mechanal noise doesnt happen and the seat is not released?

Or are you saying that even though you hear the noise, the seat did not move forward?

Maybe you could test it while the car is parked.

Press the button where the car seat is installed and then try to manually push the seat forward.

Maybe if the seat back doesnt move, the seat doesn't move forward (and the latch remains locked).

I'd love to better understand why it is not moving for you.

FYI - on the Telluride forum I also posed the question and another person said he had this issue happen to him....."Same issue here, i have a 2 year old that was jumping in the 3rd row and by curiosity pressed the button while someone was sitting on it (me) and it launched me forward and she tripped but didnt hurt herself. I told her to not do it anymore but like any kid, she did it again. My only current solution is a small cover for the button and this will leave you with only the bottom button to move the seat. Yes kids will be kids and in this era they will beat technology."

·
Registered
18 Posts
Proudx

Thanks for your feedback.

I am not sure why your experience was different than mine as attaching a car seat does not trigger some safety mechanism (at least to my knowledge)

If no one is in the seat and you press the button, you can hear a mechanical noise that the button was pressed...and then a second later the seat locks are leased and it slides forward.

Are you saying that with you car seat attached, if the button is pressed the mechanal noise doesnt happen and the seat is not released?

Or are you saying that even though you hear the noise, the seat did not move forward?

Maybe you could test it while the car is parked.

Press the button where the car seat is installed and then try to manually push the seat forward.

Maybe if the seat back doesnt move, the seat doesn't move forward (and the latch remains locked).

I'd love to better understand why it is not moving for you.

FYI - on the Telluride forum I also posed the question and another person said he had this issue happen to him....."Same issue here, i have a 2 year old that was jumping in the 3rd row and by curiosity pressed the button while someone was sitting on it (me) and it launched me forward and she tripped but didnt hurt herself. I told her to not do it anymore but like any kid, she did it again. My only current solution is a small cover for the button and this will leave you with only the bottom button to move the seat. Yes kids will be kids and in this era they will beat technology."
Yes. I heard the mechanical noise but the seat did not move forward as the baby seat blocked it from being able t fold down so I’m assuming it aborted the closure. I can test again

·
Registered
19 Posts
I apologize-I misunderstood and was thinking of the mechanism that makes the 2nd row seats fold down via the button behind the 3rd row. Now you’ve got me really curious...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NBC

You are correct (I think) that thre are actually 3 buttons for each 2nd row seat and the red manual rope

1) on each 2nd row seat next to the head rest
2) on each 2nd row seat on the seat facing the door
3) in the hatch area so you can fold down the 2nd row when loading large items

We are most concerned about location 1 and 2 (most importantly position #1)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a question about how you get the seat to move forward with the seat belt properly installed.
If the seat belt is fastened and allowed to lock back on the pillar, You let it go back in till it clicks and locks,
how can the seat even move forward?
Isn't that why it is spring loaded and not powered forward by these buttons?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts