Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound weird. checking my palisade's oil level first thing in the AM, the dipstick reads at the bottom of the stick. Immediately rechecking it reads full. During 2 days of sitting in the garage the dipstick still reads full. On day 3 my wife drove the car about 10 miles and that following morning the dipstick read low on the first check and full again on the second check. I would think a dip stick would read the same oil level regardless of when it is checked. I cannot explain this. The dipstick does have a seal on it, but why a low reading on the initial check after vehicle operation and a full reading with following checks.

·
Super Moderator
1,389 Posts
My guess would be dip stick isn't seated all the way the first time you check. Maybe it is working it's way up a touch when you drive it. The next time you check make sure it is pushed all the way in before the first check.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Could be trapped air/vapor lock or something in the dipstick tube, depending on how far down the tube goes into the oil. Think of a straw with your finger on top. Removing the dipstick broke the seal and vented.

Keep in mind that the manual procedure calls for bringing the vehicle to operating temperature (to get the oil up to temp) and then letting it sit for 5 minutes with the vehicle off (let the oil make it's way into the pan) before checking rather than checking colder.

Other non-hyundai vehicles I have had have had the exact same oil check procedure; bring to temp, wait 5.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My guess would be dip stick isn't seated all the way the first time you check. Maybe it is working it's way up a touch when you drive it. The next time you check make sure it is pushed all the way in before the first check.
Nope, dipstick all the way in

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be trapped air/vapor lock or something in the dipstick tube, depending on how far down the tube goes into the oil. Think of a straw with your finger on top. Removing the dipstick broke the seal and vented.

Keep in mind that the manual procedure calls for bringing the vehicle to operating temperature (to get the oil up to temp) and then letting it sit for 5 minutes with the vehicle off (let the oil make it's way into the pan) before checking rather than checking colder.

View attachment 1666

Other non-hyundai vehicles I have had have had the exact same oil check procedure; bring to temp, wait 5.
Saxman thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is going to sound weird. checking my palisade's oil level first thing in the AM, the dipstick reads at the bottom of the stick. Immediately rechecking it reads full. During 2 days of sitting in the garage the dipstick still reads full. On day 3 my wife drove the car about 10 miles and that following morning the dipstick read low on the first check and full again on the second check. I would think a dip stick would read the same oil level regardless of when it is checked. I cannot explain this. The dipstick does have a seal on it, but why a low reading on the initial check after vehicle operation and a full reading with following checks.
I thought I was going crazy, mine does that as well. I thought I was losing oil. I don't drive mine everyday, but after a couple of days of sitting, if you pull the dipstick it will read a qt low, reinsert it and it reads full. Had me scratching my head.:unsure:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I thought I was going crazy, mine does that as well. I thought I was losing oil. I don't drive mine everyday, but after a couple of days of sitting, if you pull the dipstick it will read a qt low, reinsert it and it reads full. Had me scratching my head.:unsure:
Exactly the same with me. I guess that’s the way it is. I’ve had mine since December of 2019 and all is well with 10k miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts