Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
I’ve creeped on here for a couple of months now.

In December 21, i put a deposit on an SX carnival (Canadian) and was really impressed with the MY23 ultimate calligraphy palisade (put a deposit on May 23). I really liked the thigh extender, massaging seat, HUD, lookand highway driving assistance features over the carnival. As per the carnival i prefer the VIP lounge seats, lower cost (10 k less) and the extra space.

I have 3 boys all out of car seats. Im wondering if anyone on here has gone from a minivan to a palisade. Do you miss the extra space?Is there anything else that i should consider when comparing these 2 vehicles? Also, i wont use these for towing.

thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
We moved from Sedona to Pilot a few years ago. I only have 2 boys, and one was still in a booster at the time. I miss the extra space and the sliding doors, but I don't miss driving a minivan!

Minivans are way more utilitarian, but not having AWD in a northern climate (PA) was tough for my wife. She kept getting stuck because FWD vans just don't do well. Happy to have AWD in the Pilot. Looking forward to having the 2023 Calligraphy. Will only be my 3rd new car in 26 years of driving (last one was 2001 - a CRV when I was still in college). I don't like to buy new, but seeing as how 1-2 year old cars with 20-30K miles were only $2K cheaper (and in some cases $4-5K more) than new, I decided if we can get one at MSRP, I will do it.

The most I've ever spent on a car was $30K, so this is a big jump for our family. We're going to rely on it for a long long time.

·
Registered
2022 SEL Premium, Sierra Burgundy/Gray
55 Posts
We too moved from a minivan to the Palisade last year. However, our kids are now all in their twenties, hence, we no longer had the need for a MV. Agree with @BillyCuth, miss the space and sliding doors but the driving experience is much more enjoyable in the Pali. That said, I would not have made the switch if my kids were still young like yours. And in fact didnt when it was time to move on from our first van. Our three kids were ages 8-14 when we purchased our second MV.

Obviously, it's all personal preference but hard to beat the utility of a minivan with three young kids.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do you live where it snows frequently? If so, you may want to consider Palisade since Carnival is only FWD. AWD is almost a must in southern New England. However, as your kids get to the teen years with sports, camping, bikes, etc.,. Minivan like space maybe more important. Look to see if there are any AWD minivans?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awh yes I forgot about the sliding doors thats a big plus as the other night my 6 yr old opened our jeep door right into the car beside us.

We’re in the greater Toronto area so we get snow but we’ve managed with a set of snow tires for the past 10 years or so.

I prefer the carnival over the other Awd minivan options.

Im leaning towards having the space and the utility of the carnival over the palisade but who knows once or if I get a chance to see MY ultimate calligraphy palisade.

thanks for the replies so far.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Funny, we actually have a minivan ('23 Carnival EX+) as well as ordering a '23 Palisade!

So the things we love about the Carnival are the sliding doors and the amount of room there is. It's a perfect travel car for us.

What I dislike about the Carnival is the lack of features: HUD, rear-view mirror that isn't a camera, seats, and the lack of AWD.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with the minivan for sure. How old are your kids?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funny, we actually have a minivan ('23 Carnival EX+) as well as ordering a '23 Palisade!

So the things we love about the Carnival are the sliding doors and the amount of room there is. It's a perfect travel car for us.

What I dislike about the Carnival is the lack of features: HUD, rear-view mirror that isn't a camera, seats, and the lack of AWD.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with the minivan for sure. How old are your kids?
wow you got a 23 EX plus!!! How’d that happen???How long was you’re wait?? What trim level palisade did you order?

It sounds like we have very similar likes and dislikes about each vehicle. I actually tried to convince my wife to get the palisade and id get the carnival, but she likes her jeep wrangler too much. I agree that a minivan makes a better travel car but I don’t understand how none of them have HUD, anti fatigue seats and better highway driving assistance features. Seems like those features are a no brainer for road trip vehicles.

Anywho, my boys are 11,8,6.

·
Registered
97 Posts
wow you got a 23 EX plus!!! How’d that happen???How long was you’re wait?? What trim level palisade did you order?

It sounds like we have very similar likes and dislikes about each vehicle. I actually tried to convince my wife to get the palisade and id get the carnival, but she likes her jeep wrangler too much. I agree that a minivan makes a better travel car but I don’t understand how none of them have HUD, anti fatigue seats and better highway driving assistance features. Seems like those features are a no brainer for road trip vehicles.

Anywho, my boys are 11,8,6.
Ha. We waited 13 months man... it was a long wait for sure. We have ordered both an Urban and the Calligraphy trim and will likely keep the Calligraphy trim. (We had a 2020 Telluride SX which we traded in for the Carnival EX+)

If you already have a Jeep Wranger then it makes even more sense to keep the Carnival when it arrives.

But note that Palisade has this cool feature where you can turn on child-lock automatically from the driver's seat. You can't do that in the Carnival in any trim, which sucks as we have little kids.

On the flip side, as you said those nice HUD, better seats, and HDAII is lacking in the Carnival. Which definitely makes Carnival not as "nice" to drive over long distances but the HDA I is still good enough. Hyundai/Kia has the best autonomous system this side of Tesla and I've owned/driven Subaru, Toyota, and Honda and seen their system first-hand.

So the question remains, what is your intended use of your next vehicle?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha. We waited 13 months man... it was a long wait for sure. We have ordered both an Urban and the Calligraphy trim and will likely keep the Calligraphy trim. (We had a 2020 Telluride SX which we traded in for the Carnival EX+)

If you already have a Jeep Wranger then it makes even more sense to keep the Carnival when it arrives.

But note that Palisade has this cool feature where you can turn on child-lock automatically from the driver's seat. You can't do that in the Carnival in any trim, which sucks as we have little kids.

On the flip side, as you said those nice HUD, better seats, and HDAII is lacking in the Carnival. Which definitely makes Carnival not as "nice" to drive over long distances but the HDA I is still good enough. Hyundai/Kia has the best autonomous system this side of Tesla and I've owned/driven Subaru, Toyota, and Honda and seen their system first-hand.

So the question remains, what is your intended use of your next vehicle?
Yeah that a bit of wait for the carnival. I agree with autonomous system being very good. Have you driven a vehicle with HDAII?

The vehicle will be used as my daily (20 min commute), back and forth from our trailer 1 hr away, one or possibly two road from gta to Florida per year.

I also forget to mention that we have a 80lb dog as well. Practicality wise the minivan would be best.

cheers

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah that a bit of wait for the carnival. I agree with autonomous system being very good. Have you driven a vehicle with HDAII?

The vehicle will be used as my daily (20 min commute), back and forth from our trailer 1 hr away, one or possibly two road from gta to Florida per year.

I also forget to mention that we have a 80lb dog as well. Practicality wise the minivan would be best.

cheers
We also own a Tesla with the full-self driving feature enabled.

Based on my understanding, HDAII also adds the ability to change lanes over and above HDAI. It's nice to have for sure but not a deal breaker. Otherwise, HDAI still maintains lanes, follows the car and slows down, goes around a curve, etc. And that is exactly what we want.

Yours is a tough decision but note that Carnivals are hard to come by. Get it, drive it, then trade it in for more than what you paid. LOL.

My recommendation would be to keep the minivan because you have an 80lb dog as well. Palisades are nice but your use case will be better served by a minivan.

And then in a couple of years, replace your wife's Wrangler with the Palisade! Win-win.

I wished we had purchased the minivan a long time ago.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Get the Carnival. With 3 young kids and a big dog, it's a no brainer. Trust me, I have been driving a minivan for 18 years, I vacillated between the Carnival and Pally, in the end decided on the Pally. My 2 kids are grown now, and Kia refused to update the features of the top SX trim (in the US there is option for configurable 8 seats at the top trim, we got shafted in Canada). Sure, I will miss the cargo space of the minivan but it's a compromise I am willing to bear, especially as the revised Pally has more updated safety systems (HDA II with semi-autonomous lane change, FCA with Junction crossing, evasive steering, etc)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello everyone.
I’ve creeped on here for a couple of months now.

In December 21, i put a deposit on an SX carnival (Canadian) and was really impressed with the MY23 ultimate calligraphy palisade (put a deposit on May 23). I really liked the thigh extender, massaging seat, HUD, lookand highway driving assistance features over the carnival. As per the carnival i prefer the VIP lounge seats, lower cost (10 k less) and the extra space.

I have 3 boys all out of car seats. Im wondering if anyone on here has gone from a minivan to a palisade. Do you miss the extra space?Is there anything else that i should consider when comparing these 2 vehicles? Also, i wont use these for towing.

thanks
I miss sliding doors but aside from that Palisade is the way to go. In fact I miss sliding doors so much that I bought a cheap 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan in addition to Palisade just as a van that I can take anywhere and not be afraid to scratch or ding it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I miss sliding doors but aside from that Palisade is the way to go. In fact I miss sliding doors so much that I bought a cheap 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan in addition to Palisade just as a van that I can take anywhere and not be afraid to scratch or ding it.
wow you must really miss sliding doors!!! There’s one vote for the palisade!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
We also own a Tesla with the full-self driving feature enabled.

Based on my understanding, HDAII also adds the ability to change lanes over and above HDAI. It's nice to have for sure but not a deal breaker. Otherwise, HDAI still maintains lanes, follows the car and slows down, goes around a curve, etc. And that is exactly what we want.

Yours is a tough decision but note that Carnivals are hard to come by. Get it, drive it, then trade it in for more than what you paid. LOL.

My recommendation would be to keep the minivan because you have an 80lb dog as well. Palisades are nice but your use case will be better served by a minivan.

And then in a couple of years, replace your wife's Wrangler with the Palisade! Win-win.

I wished we had purchased the minivan a long time ago.
yeah I have no clue how long the wait will be for the carnival… im guessing a year…

im kinda tempted to buy a pinnacle Pacifica based on availability but i really do prefer the carnival so I don’t think it would be good to trade it in so soon for the carnival.

im still holding out hope that the misses changes her mind and wants the palisade!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Get the Carnival. With 3 young kids and a big dog, it's a no brainer. Trust me, I have been driving a minivan for 18 years, I vacillated between the Carnival and Pally, in the end decided on the Pally. My 2 kids are grown now, and Kia refused to update the features of the top SX trim (in the US there is option for configurable 8 seats at the top trim, we got shafted in Canada). Sure, I will miss the cargo space of the minivan but it's a compromise I am willing to bear, especially as the revised Pally has more updated safety systems (HDA II with semi-autonomous lane change, FCA with Junction crossing, evasive steering, etc)
yes im not sure why Kia didn’t offer the 8 seater option on the top trim. I also believe that we have to wait longer for our orders to come in as well compared to the states, however i dont really know if this is true. It just seems to be based on what ive seen on the carnival forum. Hopefully we dont have too long of a wait for the 23 palisades to roll in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We went from a 2014 Honda Odyssey to a 2021 Calligraphy Palisade. Plenty of room with my wife, 2 daughters (15,10) and me. Due to no longer having 3 across seating in the second row, when traveling with my parents, there is not a enough room for all of our luggage, and I have to make the kids cram into the 60% third row. Never had space issues traveling with 6 plus luggage in the minivan. However, I purchased a Thule Motion XT XL and we had plenty of room in the Palisade for all 6 and luggage. I was able to put 3 large suitcases, plus backpack, CPap, and bag of clothes in the Thule.

·
Registered
82 Posts
We went from a 2014 Honda Odyssey to a 2021 Calligraphy Palisade. Plenty of room with my wife, 2 daughters (15,10) and me. Due to no longer having 3 across seating in the second row, when traveling with my parents, there is not a enough room for all of our luggage, and I have to make the kids cram into the 60% third row. Never had space issues traveling with 6 plus luggage in the minivan. However, I purchased a Thule Motion XT XL and we had plenty of room in the Palisade for all 6 and luggage. I was able to put 3 large suitcases, plus backpack, CPap, and bag of clothes in the Thule.
Bench seats are available in Palisade too. Just matter of need vs style. Captain chairs look much better but you loose one seat of course. Same as in minivan you can have bench or captain seats.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts