Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased the 2020 Pallisade SEL with Premium package. While I can receive phone calls and dial directly from my phone, I was constantly getting message “must connect via Android Play with cable. I do NOT want to have to plug in my phone to USB and go thru Android Play every time just to make a phone call. I have gone back to the dealer and they assured me I should be able to make a call without having to plug in. Well...I was there almost 2 hours and 5 employees later...it seems I must be plugged in to make a call. This does not seem right to me or the employees, but found no other way to make a call via Bluetooth. Why have wireless charging if you have to plug your phone into cable to make a call and go through Android Auto Play? This defeats the purpose.
Does anyone know if this is correct?? Even the employees thought this was odd and didn’t realize this. Why on a car of this caliber would I have to plug in via cable just to make a call?? All other cars for years this is not the case. Anyone know if this is true and a way around this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've received calls without being plugged in... But haven't tested making one. I'll give it a try later. Did you connect the phone via Bluetooth in the settings? I see it connect when I get in the car.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I just purchased the 2020 Pallisade SEL with Premium package. While I can receive phone calls and dial directly from my phone, I was constantly getting message “must connect via Android Play with cable. I do NOT want to have to plug in my phone to USB and go thru Android Play every time just to make a phone call. I have gone back to the dealer and they assured me I should be able to make a call without having to plug in. Well...I was there almost 2 hours and 5 employees later...it seems I must be plugged in to make a call. This does not seem right to me or the employees, but found no other way to make a call via Bluetooth. Why have wireless charging if you have to plug your phone into cable to make a call and go through Android Auto Play? This defeats the purpose.
Does anyone know if this is correct?? Even the employees thought this was odd and didn’t realize this. Why on a car of this caliber would I have to plug in via cable just to make a call?? All other cars for years this is not the case. Anyone know if this is true and a way around this?
You have the SEL without the Drive Guidance package, correct? So you have the smaller infotainment screen, correct? If so, I am fairly certain that it does not let you dial via the built-in voice recognition functionality. If you look at the manual for your infotainment system, in the Making a Call section on page 5-8 to 5-11, it lists all the ways to make a call: using the contact list, call history, or the keypad. It does not list voice as an option. A copy of your manual is here: https://owners.hyundaiusa.com/content/dam/hyundai/us/myhyundai/glovebox-manual/2020/palisade/2020 Palisade Display Audio 2.0 User's Manual.pdf

People who are buying the new 2020 Sonata are complaining about the same thing. Hyundai took away the ability to dial via the built-in voice recognition on the lower-end infotainment systems. You have to use Apple CarPlay/Android Auto (which means you must be plugged in) and use their voice recognition capabilities to make a call. Alternatively, you can also say "Hey Siri, call xxx" or "OK, google, call xxx". It's a bizarre decision by Hyundai, but I'm guessing they completely took away voice recognition on the lower-end system. Can you confirm? Does the voice button on your steering wheel do anything besides voice memos?

This hasn't been mentioned a lot on the Palisade forums, but it's heavily criticized on the Sonata ones. Maybe there are a lot more Palisade Limited or SEL w/ Drive Guidance package. Maybe other owners of lower-end trims on this forum can chime in as well (@anthpalisade - @xerostatus). I have a Limited, so I can't be certain that's what's happening, but that's what a close reading of the manual leads me to believe, particularly when I see all the other complaints on the Sonata, which shares the same infotainment systems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct - SEL with Premium and Convenience package, but nothing stating “Drive Guidance”. I have always been able to make calls on any vehicle within the last 20 years without being connected to a USB. Now the only way to make a call is to be plugged in thru Android or Apple play. In this day and age - THIS IS AN EPIC FAIL HYUNDAI! They make you upgrade to have wireless charging but you have to plug your phone in to make a call - this makes the wireless charging feature useless. Also, the Sales Rep and Service Advisors don’t even know this. I spent hours having 5 different Dealer employees (both Sales Reps and Service) try to get this to work and they were shocked as well. In this day and age ALL basic cars can make calls without being plugged in and having to through an app. Very disappointed. Had I known this, I would have gotten the Kia as you can make calls wirelessly! Outside of 3 day window or I would take car back!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Eric didn't say you can't call wirelessly, he said you can't use the voice recognition to dial without drive guidance.

How are you trying to dial?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
@saxman242[/USER] - trying to make a call using the phone button on steering wheel. If you press the voice button, the message will advise you must plug in USB and dial via Android Play or Apply Play. if I plug in via USB then yes I can select the voice button on the steering wheel and then call via Android Play (I have a Samsung) via Google. As I said previously, several employees at Dealership have also tried with no success unless plugged in. You can press the phone button and then scroll through your contacts and call history to select someone, but this is not convenient nor safe unless you aren’t driving, which defeats the purpose of being able to dial directly from Bluetooth via voice. If you have any suggestions I am willing to try.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
@saxman242 - trying to make a call using the voice button on steering wheel. When you press this button, the message will advise you must plug in USB and dial via Android Play or Apply Play. if I plug in via USB then yes I can select the voice button on the steering wheel and then call via Android Play (I have a Samsung) via Google. As I said previously, several employees at Dealership have also tried with no success unless plugged in. If you have any suggestions I am willing to try.
I think I answered you. I believe Hyundai doesn't allow that on the smaller infotainment screen. I believe that they've removed voice recognition altogether from the smaller infotainment screen. I've asked you to confirm whether there's any voice recognition in your car, besides voice memos, which don't actually require voice recognition - it just records. It would be great is other owners of lower trim levels chimed in to confirm, but I do think that is what is happening.

Your workarounds are to use "OK Google" to directly dial using the voice recognition on your phone, or to plug in and use Android Auto's voice recognition that way. You can also use the screen (contacts, call history or enter a number), but that is obviously less safe.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Gotcha. For the reference of others/in the future, your issue isn't with being able to make handsfree calls over bluetooth, it's with being able to dial via voice recognition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just an update and final.... after checking with other 2020 Hyundai owners (Palisade, Sonata,etc), to their disappointment and frustration as well, it does seem Hyundai has removed voice recognition from Bluetooth completely and AUX in standard infotainment systems. With that statement, for those that do not have Upgraded infotainment system as in the Limited model:
1) The only way to make an outgoing call via voice recognition (I.e. Call Mom), is to plug in via USB and use Android or Apple Play.
2) With the removal of AUX and now only being able to use voice calling on Android or Apple play app, you can no longer sync up a secondary phone to play music from Bluetooth as the system reserves the Bluetooth connection on the phone you have connected via USB. You cannot use any other media devices except for the radio when you are connected to android play.
3) You can make a phone call via Bluetooth without voice commands, however this is not ideal if you are driving. You have to look at screen and scroll who to call from favorites, history, contacts or enter the phone #. Obviously not safe when driving, and kind of defeats purpose of being able to make calls this way-quicker to go to phone directly.
4) If you want to make calls and have a secondary phone you want set up to play music, you are forced to go through Bluetooth since no AUX. Bluetooth will allow more than one device connected, however you cannot make a call via voice command.

I cannot speak for those that have the upgraded infotainment system as in the Limited model if they can add in secondary media devices and still make voice recognition calls - perhaps someone with Limited model could chime in.

In this day and age it is just assumed you can make a voice call, set up multiple media devices to play music, etc - this is the case on any previous car I have owned and even on new Cars of other brands (yes Kia 2020 can still handle). Not sure why Hyundai changed and now gives less options with media - even the Sales and Service reps were not aware of this and shocked at this set up...and spent quite a bit of time trying to get this to work before realizing this can no longer be done. Since this is quite a change from the usual industry standards of being able to make voice calls without connected USB, no AUX, etc, it’s too bad they don’t advise you of this downside when trying to sell you the vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Most phones allow you to say hey Siri or ok google to allow you to make calls so unless your radio is loud you should still be able to do it. Also using CarPlay or android auto you can play music through that, I can’t see too many people wanting a secondary Bluetooth device for music

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Just an update and final.... after checking with other 2020 Hyundai owners (Palisade, Sonata,etc), to their disappointment and frustration as well, it does seem Hyundai has removed voice recognition from Bluetooth completely and AUX in standard infotainment systems. With that statement, for those that do not have Upgraded infotainment system as in the Limited model:
1) The only way to make an outgoing call via voice recognition (I.e. Call Mom), is to plug in via USB and use Android or Apple Play.
2) With the removal of AUX and now only being able to use voice calling on Android or Apple play app, you can no longer sync up a secondary phone to play music from Bluetooth as the system reserves the Bluetooth connection on the phone you have connected via USB. You cannot use any other media devices except for the radio when you are connected to android play.
3) You can make a phone call via Bluetooth without voice commands, however this is not ideal if you are driving. You have to look at screen and scroll who to call from favorites, history, contacts or enter the phone #. Obviously not safe when driving, and kind of defeats purpose of being able to make calls this way-quicker to go to phone directly.
4) If you want to make calls and have a secondary phone you want set up to play music, you are forced to go through Bluetooth since no AUX. Bluetooth will allow more than one device connected, however you cannot make a call via voice command.

I cannot speak for those that have the upgraded infotainment system as in the Limited model if they can add in secondary media devices and still make voice recognition calls - perhaps someone with Limited model could chime in.

In this day and age it is just assumed you can make a voice call, set up multiple media devices to play music, etc - this is the case on any previous car I have owned and even on new Cars of other brands (yes Kia 2020 can still handle). Not sure why Hyundai changed and now gives less options with media - even the Sales and Service reps were not aware of this and shocked at this set up...and spent quite a bit of time trying to get this to work before realizing this can no longer be done. Since this is quite a change from the usual industry standards of being able to make voice calls without connected USB, no AUX, etc, it’s too bad they don’t advise you of this downside when trying to sell you the vehicle.
You're forgetting option #5: say "OK Google" or "Hey Siri" to initiate a call. That has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread already, by myself and @rman18.

Yes, the Limited allows 2 devices to be connected over Bluetooth, one for calls and music, one for music only. Although I believe that Android Auto somehow has a negative effect on that and prevents you from using the second Bluetooth connection. I am not an AA user, so I'm just repeating here. There's a thread on this forum about this somewhere.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I totally understand your frustration. Tangentially-related, I think it was a boneheaded move to remove the Aux input as well. But, just to play a little bit of a devil's advocate:
In this day and age, it's better for your infotainment system to simply "outsource" most functions to your phone, that is already purpose-built to handle that kind of thing. What's wrong with using AA or CarPlay? It's not about giving "less" options per se, but more allowing "specialization" so to speak. AA works so easily and fluidly, better than any OEM's proprietary implementation, Hyundai or otherwise. In fact, i wasn't even aware of the limitation described in this thread (no voice control with bluetooth-only), because i exclusively use AA. Navigation? Why pay thousands of dollars for the navigation system package when my phone will project the entire google maps or whatever else nav app to my screen? A map that is always updated on its own, without having to rely on an OEM's proprietary system? Same thing with voice-recognition. I'm sure hyundai OE implementation works fine, but it's not necessary. It's right there, on your phone, already. Say "Hey/okay google/siri". Easy enough. And I'd trust Google/Apple/etc. for implementation of voice recognition over Hyundai.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 Sonata SEL and have the same problem, except mine is with an iPhone. My guess is we have the same radio and software. I too took it to the dealer, and pretty much had to really push them on the matter. They finally contacted their direct support at Hyundai and they were told this is by design. They said I had to either have a Limited model or have purchased the Bose radio for this feature to work. The dealer said just push the Siri button on the phone which is the same thing. Why would I want to have to find my phone to push a button just to make a phone call when there is a command button right on the steering wheel? Why in the world would they take away such a basic functionality and do this? Hyundai really botched this one up. Hopefully they release a software fix soon.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have a 2020 Sonata SEL and have the same problem, except mine is with an iPhone. My guess is we have the same radio and software. I too took it to the dealer, and pretty much had to really push them on the matter. They finally contacted their direct support at Hyundai and they were told this is by design. They said I had to either have a Limited model or have purchased the Bose radio for this feature to work. The dealer said just push the Siri button on the phone which is the same thing. Why would I want to have to find my phone to push a button just to make a phone call when there is a command button right on the steering wheel? Why in the world would they take away such a basic functionality and do this? Hyundai really botched this one up. Hopefully they release a software fix soon.
They won’t. There is no built-in voice recognition on the smaller infotainment system. A firmware update won’t change that. Plug your phone in for CarPlay and use the voice button on the steering wheel to use Siri to dial. If you don’t want to plug your phone in, configure your phone to always listen and say “Hey Siri” when you want to dial hands-free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They won’t. There is no built-in voice recognition on the smaller infotainment system. A firmware update won’t change that. Plug your phone in for CarPlay and use the voice button on the steering wheel to use Siri to dial. If you don’t want to plug your phone in, configure your phone to always listen and say “Hey Siri” when you want to dial hands-free.
Thanks for the reply. To be honest I never thought about just saying "Hey Siri". That is a good work around. I still think it was bonehead move on Hyundai's part.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2020 Hyundai Venue and spent hours trying to resolve this problem and even called Hyundai who eventually said to go back to my dealer. After reading these posts I see that would be a waste of time. Quite annoying for a brand new car not be permit voice calling initiation via bluetooth. My phone is usually in my case since I don't want to forget it when leaving the car so Hey Siri is no solution for me. Hyundai need to address this in a system upgrade.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just got the Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid Limited 2020 version and it has the same problem. You can only use voice command when you are connected to Android Auto or Apple Car play. You can use Bluelink access to direct the navigation system to a destination but the "Voice command" button on the steering wheel will not operate unless you use Android Auto or Apple Car play, which you have to connect your phone via the USB cable. I hope Hyundai fixes this issue. I like Android Auto; but sometimes it is not convenient to always plug in your phone. I think most of the time I would just use the USB port for a USB Flash drive with my Music and Audio books.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I too just purchased a 2021 Sonata SEL and I have been frustrated trying to make a call with Bluetooth - I have to take the phone in my hand and actually make the call like normal then I can talk via the car speakers, its asinine really. My last Santa Fe had bluetooth for 10 years no issues. Why bother to put Bluetooth in the vehicle in the first place if I can't make a hands free call. If I have to connect the phone with a cable then I am using Apple Play always so Bluetooth is redundant, bad move by Hyundai.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I too just purchased a 2021 Sonata SEL and I have been frustrated trying to make a call with Bluetooth - I have to take the phone in my hand and actually make the call like normal then I can talk via the car speakers, its asinine really. My last Santa Fe had bluetooth for 10 years no issues. Why bother to put Bluetooth in the vehicle in the first place if I can't make a hands free call. If I have to connect the phone with a cable then I am using Apple Play always so Bluetooth is redundant, bad move by Hyundai.
There is one alternative if you don't want to plug in: say "Hey Siri" loud enough for the phone to hear it and dial that way. That's still hands-free.

Also, I haven't tried this (and I have a Palisade with the large infotainment system which does have built-in voice recognition anyway), but can you get to Siri over Bluetooth via either the voice button or the phone button (the one to pick up a call) on the steering wheel? That could also be a way to dial via Siri without having to say "Hey Siri" into the phone.

I ask because, on my 2012 Sonata, which was long before CarPlay, I can get to Siri by pressing the green "answer call" phone button on the steering wheel when connected over Bluetooth. Of course, that car has built-in voice recognition so I never would do that, but if there's a way to get to Siri that way, maybe that works for you to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts