Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car I want in terms of color, is in inventory at a dealer about 40 miles away. Can I walk into my dealer and purchase that car from the local dealer? Do dealers shuffle inventory to accomodate customer requirements? So if that is not possible, if I buy it from the dealer 45 miles away and service it at my local dealer, do I give up something of value?
With these cars, do you get a courtesy driver while your car is being worked on under warranty? Seems that many higher end vehicles offer that.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The dealer has to contact the other dealer and make an equitable exchange of vehicles, desirable to both dealers. Then your dealer can sell you the vehicle you desire once it is on his lot. Of course you could just go to the other dealer and buy the vehicle and have it serviced at your dealer. Some dealers offer, independently of Hyundai service agreements to sweeten the deal.

For example the dealer I purchased my Palisade from in Columbus, Ohio offered 3 years of free oil changes and tire rotation. I live in Heflin, Alabama (605 miles south) and will have the vehicle serviced here at my local dealer. I bought it in Ohio because at the end of July it was the only one available within a 1000 miles of me that met my requirements and with the rebates and 1.9% financing it was a sweet deal. My local dealer is just glad to get my business for the next 10 years or so and the other dealer made a sale which looks good to Hyundai Corporate. Win-Win

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sterling, Interesting. So your dealer did not kind of hold a "grudge" so to speak about getting the service and not the sale (it's not about the profit in the vehicle its about the hold backs for them). You are not a second class citizen when you walk in.
Do you get a courtesy car to drive when the P is being serviced? Would you have if you had bought it from him.
I hope you drove it from OH. Columbus is a great town. I love Ohio, particularly southern Ohio

·
Registered
250 Posts
Car dealers make more money over time by servicing vehicles rather selling them. However they are awarded "points" by the corporate office against future allocation of desirable vehicles for total vehicles sold on a monthly basis. So both dealers profit from my business. The dealer in Columbus, Ohio was glad to sell me this vehicle even though I was coming from out of state. I made the deal before I made the plane reservation. I asked if this happens often in their experience and yes they have frequently sold cars to out of state persons.

As regards the courtesy car issue I do not think that is what dealers here in this part of Alabama do. I also own a Toyota (bought new at dealership) and a Honda (bought years earlier) that I have serviced locally, no courtesy vehicle has ever been offered and I saw no indication that they have such a program. The Lexus dealer (I own a Lexus as well) that I use in Ga. does have such a program but then you covertly pay for it with a surcharge of 15% on your vehicle service bill. Surprise-Surprise.

As regards the Palisade, having first dealt with the local dealer who could not locate the car within their range limit of 250 miles I searched for and found mine in Columbus. From my dealings so far they were glad I was able to find what I wanted and happier that I will be using their dealership to service it. Money is money.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The dealer in Columbus did give me another incentive, it was one of three choices. The first was the oil change and tire rotation, I do not remember the second (could not use it anyway) and the third option which was GAP insurance paid for by them. This insurance covers the difference between the financed amount remaining and the totaled value of the car as a result of an accident. This surprised me as they knew I was taking the car back to Alabama. The dealer was Dennis Hyundai Genesis of Columbia.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car dealers make more money over time by servicing vehicles rather selling them. However they are awarded "points" by the corporate office against future allocation of desirable vehicles for total vehicles sold on a monthly basis. So both dealers profit from my business. The dealer in Columbus, Ohio was glad to sell me this vehicle even though I was coming from out of state. I made the deal before I made the plane reservation. I asked if this happens often in their experience and yes they have frequently sold cars to out of state persons.

As regards the courtesy car issue I do not think that is what dealers here in this part of Alabama do. I also own a Toyota (bought new at dealership) and a Honda (bought years earlier) that I have serviced locally, no courtesy vehicle has ever been offered and I saw no indication that they have such a program. The Lexus dealer (I own a Lexus as well) that I use in Ga. does have such a program but then you covertly pay for it with a surcharge of 15% on your vehicle service bill. Surprise-Surprise.

As regards the Palisade, having first dealt with the local dealer who could not locate the car within their range limit of 250 miles I searched for and found mine in Columbus. From my dealings so far they were glad I was able to find what I wanted and happier that I will be using their dealership to service it. Money is money.
Thanks, very helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had to call 30+ dealers across the country to find a white AWD Limited. My local dealer tried to do a trade in state for one but he said they were both already sold. I ended up buying one of the "sold" ones and they delivered it to my house. Either my local dealer lied to get me to buy from him or the other dealer lied to him so they didn't have to make the trade. Comes down to, they are hot sellers and sometimes hard to get what you want.

Keep shopping though, there is usually someone willing to help you out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts