Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like what I see in the Calligraphy, In fact, its almost winning my favor over the two Genesis G80's I've owned. but I have to say I'm disappointed in the limited color choices and interior combinations. What I don't quite understand is why this high-end Palisade trim has only 3 color choices while the lower trims have 7. On top of that, they further limit the interior combinations. Seems counterintuitive. I get it that maybe it will change as the US Calligraphy roll-out progresses but a little better variety would be nice. Just needed to vent that little frustration.

Anyone else feel the same?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I really like what I see in the Calligraphy, In fact, its almost winning my favor over the two Genesis G80's I've owned. but I have to say I'm disappointed in the limited color choices and interior combinations. What I don't quite understand is why this high-end Palisade trim has only 3 color choices while the lower trims have 7. On top of that, they further limit the interior combinations. Seems counterintuitive. I get it that maybe it will change as the US Calligraphy roll-out progresses but a little better variety would be nice. Just needed to vent that little frustration.

Yep. Very glad I got a 2020 Limited, which has pretty much everything that was moved to the Calligraphy in 2021. We got the color combo we wanted too (Sierra Burgundy / Beige Nappa leather).

·
Registered
7 Posts
They probably covered the spread well enough. The limited in 2020 probably sold a substantial chunk of the total car sales. The issue with the limited is it has what 2 interior color options and 7 exterior color options and 2 drive mode options for every car.

That means for the limited trim in 2020 they effectively had to make 28 different variations of the car. With the 2021 Calligraphy which I am just dubbing the new limited model. They have 3 exterior color options 1 drive mode and 3 interior color options of which 1 is only on the moonlight cloud. So they only have 5 variations of the car.

2 exterior colors * 2 interior colors (all calligraphy's are AWD) = 4 + 1 (moon light cloud has to have light beige interior) = 5.

It was probably solely down to streamlining manufacturing and I think the 3 color options they are offering are totally fine black white and blue (this was their flagship color choice for the korean market at launch) and the same interior color options except one new one that was also used as their interior choice for the korean market.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I felt the same. I held off buying for a while. When I learned the calligraphy would not come in the color combo I wanted and the 2021 really didn't add much (thought it added wireless carplay, but the limited apparently does not) I decided for $150 I can add that if I wanted and when I could get the 2020 for $3500 under MSRP I jumped on that.

Figured I could replace the grille of my 2020 limited with something else for that price difference which was the other part I liked on the 2021 calligraphy.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
They probably covered the spread well enough. The limited in 2020 probably sold a substantial chunk of the total car sales. The issue with the limited is it has what 2 interior color options and 7 exterior color options and 2 drive mode options for every car.

That means for the limited trim in 2020 they effectively had to make 28 different variations of the car. With the 2021 Calligraphy which I am just dubbing the new limited model. They have 3 exterior color options 1 drive mode and 3 interior color options of which 1 is only on the moonlight cloud. So they only have 5 variations of the car.

2 exterior colors * 2 interior colors (all calligraphy's are AWD) = 4 + 1 (moon light cloud has to have light beige interior) = 5.

It was probably solely down to streamlining manufacturing and I think the 3 color options they are offering are totally fine black white and blue (this was their flagship color choice for the korean market at launch) and the same interior color options except one new one that was also used as their interior choice for the korean market.
It's not that many variations for a car though. Plus they already do that with the SEL, which has optional packages that multiply the possibilities. The possible permutations on a Ford F150 numbers in the hundreds. Many cars offer well above 50 permutations. And It's not like Hyundai doesn't know how to handle that - they are a global manufacturer perfectly capable of handling vast permutations for a given model.

I don't know what the reason is for the restrictions on the colors, but I doubt it's because of too many permutations.

I was told that the Calligraphy will soon be offered as a FWD as well.
If that's true, there really will be no reason for the Limited to exist. The difference between a 2021 Limited AWD and a 2021 Calligraphy (which is only AWD right now) is less than $900. To me, that already makes the Limited AWD pointless. Only the Limited FWD made sense price-wise. Adding a Calligraphy FWD will make it pointless as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's not that many variations for a car though. Plus they already do that with the SEL, which has optional packages that multiply the possibilities. The possible permutations on a Ford F150 numbers in the hundreds. Many cars offer well above 50 permutations. And It's not like Hyundai doesn't know how to handle that - they are a global manufacturer perfectly capable of handling vast permutations for a given model.

I don't know what the reason is for the restrictions on the colors, but I doubt it's because of too many permutations.

If that's true, there really will be no reason for the Limited to exist. The difference between a 2021 Limited AWD and a 2021 Calligraphy (which is only AWD right now) is less than $900. To me, that already makes the Limited AWD pointless. Only the Limited FWD made sense price-wise. Adding a Calligraphy FWD will make it pointless as well.
Reducing permutations helps streamline manufacturing. Especially when you're dropping colors or options that aren't performing well. I do agree with you in regards to the FWD comment a FWD calligraphy makes absolutely 0 sense.

·
Registered
285 Posts
From what I have seen you get more for you money going for the 2020 Limited. With the addition of the Calligraphy trim a lot of the comfort items were removed from 2021 Limited version.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Reducing permutations helps streamline manufacturing. Especially when you're dropping colors or options that aren't performing well.
I fully understand what reducing permutations does. I'm saying that the Palisade didn't have many permutations on the Calligraphy (or Limited) to begin with since there are already no optional packages. I gave you an example, like the F150 which has hundreds of permutations. Other cars have well above 50 permutations. Hyundai, like other manufacturers, is more than capable of handling the low number of permutations that offering all possible colors on a Calligraphy would generate. They already can handle more than that on the Palisade SEL which has optional packages, has all colors available, and offers both cloth and leather interior.

So I don't know why the are so few color choices on the Calligraphy, but I doubt that this is the reason.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback, I would think if it was a matter of permutations Hyundai wouldn't have introduced the Calligraphy in Canada which seems to have 8 exterior colors listed. I'm hoping it's maybe a timing thing with some of the production delays Hyundai experienced related to COVID. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy Hyper White/Beige/Dark Brown
56 Posts

I feel EXACTLY the same. I want Hyper White exterior/Beige interior Calligraphy but it isn't an option. To further confuse things, it seems maybe Hyundai interior colors are referring more to the color of the trim than the leather?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I am shopping cars now and the only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger is the limited black or "white" interior options. It makes me wonder who provided input in the design process because I can tell you it was not moms. Not in a million years would I or could I drive a car with "white" interior. The salesman told me he drove one for a year and it did great but I do not have the luxury of driving a car for 12 months. What will those look like in 5 years? And black? Boring and equally hard to clean. I'm in Florida and black shows every crumb, piece of sand and dust particle. I can not fathom no middle ground - a grey or camel....? I do not think more than 2 interior colors is a big ask and based upon the forums I've been reading it seems it is something the consumer wants. Too bad they did not listen and make those available fir the 2021.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Silver Lagoon with bench seat
123 Posts
We test drove an SEL with the grey leather interior and it really was beautiful (but we bought one with black leather). I'm surprised they don't have a grey Nappa option for the Limiteds and the Calligraphys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Calligraphy is now being offered in all the color combinations that Limited comes in. Very few are available now on the lots but mroe should be hitting the dealers in early January.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts