Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I drove my car about 7500 miles and 4 months now. I just noticed that there is relatively noticeable black carbon build up on tailpipe. It is only 4 months old. Is it normal to have black carbon build up on tailpipe?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Only had my Palisade for a few weeks so I haven't seen that yet but my 2013 Veloster has always had that happen.

·
Super Moderator
1,764 Posts
Hi. I drove my car about 7500 miles and 4 months now. I just noticed that there is relatively noticeable black carbon build up on tailpipe. It is only 4 months old. Is it normal to have black carbon build up on tailpipe?
That is normal for all GDI engines. My genesis G90 was that way also.
Some manufacturers have changed the exhaust systems, making the outlets only for looks, bypassing the outlets
entirely My kia optima and cadenza were really bad about that. If you wipe them out when car is washed it helps

·
Super Moderator
557 Posts
QUOTE FROM CAR AND DRIVER

Today’s engines run three-way catalysts to scrub any unburned hydrocarbons that escape the various other emission-control systems, leaving very few to darken our tailpipes.

And yet, many modern tailpipes are blackened. According to John Hoard, an associate research scientist in the mechanical engineering department at the University of Michigan, gasoline direct-injection engines, like diesel engines, have a tendency to produce particulate matter, also known as soot. This unfortunate byproduct is a result of direct injection engines' tendency to produce small clusters of rich air/fuel mixture, as well as coat the cylinder walls with liquid gasoline, leading to what are known as pool fires. These conditions are particularly apparent not during aggressive driving but under low load conditions because the intake velocity isn't sufficient to generate the swirling effect needed to effectively mix fuel and air and eliminate any rich areas. Toyota and Ford, among others, have switched to dual injection (both port and direct fuel injectors) in part to combat this phenomenon and increase overall efficiency.

·
Super Moderator
557 Posts
That is normal for all GDI engines. My genesis G90 was that way also.
Some manufacturers have changed the exhaust systems, making the outlets only for looks, bypassing the outlets
entirely My kia optima and cadenza were really bad about that. If you wipe them out when car is washed it helps
I had a 2012 Hyundai Genesis that was real bad but very little from the palisade.

·
Super Moderator
1,764 Posts
I use (invisible glass) glass cleaner on my windows, every time I clean the windows I wipe down the exhaust ports.
Works really well, If you let it build up to long, months, it can start to stain the ports

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe an oil catch can might prevent this. I have been looking into them and it might be the trick pony to halt this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Pallisade is my 5th direct injection vehicle. All 5 of them have had the same behavior - layers of black carbon on the exhaust outlets. Also, trying to keep up with it and clean them is a fools errand unless you have a lot of free time....... This is my first Hyundai, so its not a manufacturer issue, its a direct injection issue...... If you want to find Zen, just learn to ignore it. If you want clean tail pipes, buy a second set of tips and use them when you want it to look clean..... Just my thoughts.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts