Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to purchase a cargo carrier. I dont know if I need a hard shell or the soft one . I downsized from a minivan so I need something for my luggage, so I’ll have more cargo room inside. What does everyone recommend ? Also what size would I need to fit . I have the limited

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did lots of research as to which cargo box I wanted to purchase for our Palisade Limited. I finally decided on the Thule Force XT XXL (22 cubic feet). I also purchased the Thule AeroBlade cross bar system. I spent just over $1000 for both cross bars and cargo box at REI. I think all Thule products are on sale at REI until December 2.

Had I gone cheap, it would have cost me $700. I figured that the extra $300 for quality was well worth it!! Cross bars can be installed in less than 10 mins. Cargo box can be installed in under 5 mins.

·
Super Moderator
984 Posts
I did lots of research as to which cargo box I wanted to purchase for our Palisade Limited. I finally decided on the Thule Force XT XXL (22 cubic feet). I also purchased the Thule AeroBlade cross bar system. I spent just over $1000 for both cross bars and cargo box at REI. I think all Thule products are on sale at REI until December 2.

Had I gone cheap, it would have cost me $700. I figured that the extra $300 for quality was well worth it!! Cross bars can be installed in less than 10 mins. Cargo box can be installed in under 5 mins.

View attachment 504 View attachment 505
Please do us a favor and post a before MPG and an after you drive with it on the highway MPG.
I think Thule products may give less wind resistance

·
Registered
90 Posts
How’s the wind noise? I always wonder how much, if any, is added by the cross bars - not to mention the cargo box? TIA.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Does the Thule use the counting screw location in the Hyundai rails are just clamp on to the rails. Zooming into the Photo makes it look like clamping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Thule clamps on to the rails. When they are removed, there is no indention or damage to the paint on the rails. They work really well.

As far as CKON's question: There is no wind noise from the cross bars. I do hear some added noise when the roof box is on. We haven't had a trip yet with the roof box, so I can't report the MPG loss. It will be hard to measure the MPG loss. When we take our trip with the roof box, I will have six people in the car, trunk fully loaded and roof box fully loaded. So with the additional weight, there will be MPG loss due to that alone. I am not really concerned about MPG loss. I just happy that I have extra cargo space for luggage!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I made the "mistake" of buying the Hyundai cross bars as part of the purchase of my Palisade. They were not in stock and had to be ordered. So I did not see them prior to car purchase. There is nothing physically wrong with the cross bars, but they sit extremely high. They are not low, providing a more sleek look. They sit a good 4 inches above the roof of the car. Looks kind of ugly. Those Thule bars seem to much lower.

·
Super Moderator
984 Posts
I made the "mistake" of buying the Hyundai cross bars as part of the purchase of my Palisade. They were not in stock and had to be ordered. So I did not see them prior to car purchase. There is nothing physically wrong with the cross bars, but they sit extremely high. They are not low, providing a more sleek look. They sit a good 4 inches above the roof of the car. Looks kind of ugly. Those Thule bars seem to much lower.
May I ask where you ordered Hyundai cross bars that fit the Palisade?
Are they from a different vehicle or country?
I didn't see them listed with the car accessories when ordering mine

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ordered the cross bars through the dealer. I recall seeing the cross bars on the Hyundai usa accessories page.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had been watching for it on the build site too. Kia has "theirs" on the build site. No Hyundai OEM accessories places have the bars accept ** dealers ** at this point. Most other accessories can be ordered from stores that carry OEM accessories. I am sure they will become available that way too. Love too know what people think of Hyundai vs. Thule ones. Max weight is 220 pounds that I understand has been the load rate on Hyundai/Kia rails for some time.

I so wish the underlying roof rails used the slightly less aero type that you could tie things to directly and leave the cross rails for specialty use. Seems to be a trend... Some manufactures still provide rails that you tie things too directly without cross bars (Subaru not sure who else).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts