Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've test driven 2 FWD Palisades, one even had the 20" Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 performance tires. I could get both cars to spin their front tires easily when turning from a red light. Would AWD mitigate this by sending power to the rear? I'm having a hard time finding AWD near me for sale.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Haaa your a danger:) LOL. Maybe choose a gentler drive mode (Comfort or Smart). I have AWD and not noticed any spinning. * Make sure try the Trim you think your getting SEL without options if your going that way. They come on 245/60/18 versus 245/50/20s unless you add any option packages. I feel they drive different. To answer your original question I am not knowledgeable but that is what AWD does. Do you live somewhere with snow. AWD can be halpful in the situations but I might not have bothered if lived somewhere snow free. Availability of AWD versus FWD is territory dependent. If you're in Northeast or Canada etc. you would be a lottery winner to find one that is FWD. Similarly I imagine in California, Texas, Florida etc. just the opposite.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have AWD and can't imagine being able to spin a tire. I would go with AWD if at all possible, as the added traction is a huge plus in many situations. The dash display that reads how the power is apportioned to all 4 wheels indicates the electronics are doing quite a lot to keep the car stable.

·
Banned
673 Posts
I can confirm that the Palisade will spin its front tires from a stoplight. Corner or no corner. I'd seriously like to see a long term test update after a few thousand miles on these. Our's is at 11K miles and it definitely feels quicker, especially in SPORT mode.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a quick update now that I've had the AWD SEL for a couple days.

While I could indeed easily spin the front tires test driving a FWD, now that I have the AWD with 18" Bridgestone Dueler HP AS tires, the AWD does not spin at all. Much more stable and confident in acceleration.

For me, worth it for the stable power delivery alone! Predictable acceleration is a safety feature. Offroad/weather traction is an added bonus.

·
Registered
13 Posts

While I could indeed easily spin the front tires test driving a FWD, now that I have the AWD with 18" Bridgestone Dueler HP AS tires, the AWD does not spin at all. Much more stable and confident in acceleration.

For me, worth it for the stable power delivery alone! Predictable acceleration is a safety feature. Offroad/weather traction is an added bonus.
I test drove a FWD Telluride and was chirping and spinning the front tires during spirited driving often. Hated that. Now that I have my AWD Palisade I never get any chirping and spinning. 100% agree it's worth the added price and added difficulty in finding an AWD model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I test drove a FWD Telluride and was chirping and spinning the front tires during spirited driving often. Hated that. Now that I have my AWD Palisade I never get any chirping and spinning. 100% agree it's worth the added price and added difficulty in finding an AWD model.
From a Telluride to a Palisade? I've heard about others that have already done the same. What were your deciding factors to switch?

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
646 Posts

My AWD SEL with the 20" Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 tires will not spin the tires. Tried it on straight start and turning right from a red light on dry pavement. Tried it straight start on wet pavement. Have not tried wet with a turn or on snow yet.

·
Super Moderator
1,764 Posts
My 2020 limited with digital display, has the palisade display which will show the power going to each wheel.
People would not believe how often power goes to the rear wheels. Even starting on dry roads, starting from a turn,
Or stepping on the gas a little hard, show's power to rear wheels

·
Registered
162 Posts
The biggest problem with FWD is the terrible torch steer... AWD pretty much eliminates that (but not 100%). All of my past vehicles have been AWD and I very much prefer the handling they provide.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
646 Posts
My 2020 limited with digital display, has the palisade display which will show the power going to each wheel.
People would not believe how often power goes to the rear wheels. Even starting on dry roads, starting from a turn,
Or stepping on the gas a little hard, show's power to rear wheels
I've watched in my SEL as well. I think all trims with AWD have that page

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yeah they all have the power distribution page. You do have to navigate to it if you normally prefer to have digital speedo up. I more frequently visit the TPM (tire pressure page) to make sure things are where they should be.

I should say most good/modern cars do not have much in the way of torque steer. Naturally your own test drive or reviews normally would notice/mention that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts