Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that many of you have conducted your own brake testing, but these are the results from mine.
Obviously the auto brake doesn't work?

Any comments?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apparently after re-reading sections 5-63 through 5-76 in the owners manual. a real pedestrian is required for this testing.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have watched some on line IIHS and other tests (not of Palisade and Telluride) pedestrians crash testing. Apparently the systems vary widely in their effectiveness. Up though 2019 models Hyundai and Kia ranked poorly as did many other companies. Some others did quite we'll. Hopefully there has been some improvement. Not sure how good your Cardboard tests represent but it does not seem promising.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Obviously the auto brake doesn't work?
I don't think that's obvious from your test. You've determined that the car failed to stop from hitting a cardboard box. Is it designed to stop from hitting a cardboard box? Is the system camera based or radar based? If it's radar based, that sheet of cardboard likely is treated very different by the system than other things.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm fairly certain it's camera-based. There's clearly AI built in the system that looks for specific indicators that the obstacle is a pedestrian. The manual uses the words "body structure". The cardboard attempt at a human being probably didn't fool the system.

Now that doesn't explain why it doesn't try to avoid the boxes as if it were another car, but I think (again, by reading the manual) that the object has to be recognized as a vehicle.

In other words, the built-in AI tries to recognize obstacles to avoid false positives (landscaping... etc.) that would make the car slam on the brakes constantly for no reason. From that stand-point, it makes sense: it would be dangerous to slam on the brakes for no reason for yourself and for the people behind you. But it also means the car isn't going to stop you from deliberately driving into something (like a cardboard box).

Just my guess as to how this works, based on the wording in the manual.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am not sure it works with a person, but I know it works when a vehicle in front of you stops and you don't apply the brakes immediately. I was not paying enough attention when a vehicle in front of me stopped and my Ultimate (Limited in USA) automatically stopped.
Several times when I am in heavy traffic or traffic jam, I put on my cruise control and the vehicle looks after itself. When the traffic slows or comes to a complete stop, my vehicle slows or even comes to a complete stop. When the traffic takes off, my vehicle takes off. Again keeping a safe distance from the vehicle in front of me. Again you can set the distance etc. If my vehicle is stopped, after a certain amount of time, the auto cruise will disengage but just hit the resume button and the cruise will take over.
But again, I don't know about a pedestrian in front of vehicle, if it will stop.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think that's obvious from your test. You've determined that the car failed to stop from hitting a cardboard box. Is it designed to stop from hitting a cardboard box? Is the system camera based or radar based? If it's radar based, that sheet of cardboard likely is treated very different by the system than other things.
Obviously my "testing " was tongue in cheek essentially for the benefit of my grandaughter. Although I enjoyed it too.
I would assume that the FCA algorithms are based on radar and camera recognition inputs and tuned to avoid slamming on the brakes whenever a cardboard box is in the freeway. However, I thought that it might respond to such a large obstacle and it was fun anyway. And the cardboard man looked like a good facsimile of some of the people round here.
Given all that, I am still interested to try this with my brother's Volvo XC90, .............the pinnacle of safe vehicles. LOL.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if the Koreans don't use cardboard men for their FCA testing because they don't represent real human beings, how do they develop and test the system to only respond to real humans? Hmmmmm. Volunteers?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
So if the Koreans don't use cardboard men for their FCA testing because they don't represent real human beings, how do they develop and test the system to only respond to real humans? Hmmmmm. Volunteers?
Well, first off, here's a couple videos someone posted a few months ago on this forum, showing that you can trick the system if your artwork is good enough:

So manufacturers could do the same thing. But the reality is that they probably developed and tested the algorithms for the cameras to detect pedestrians outside of an actual car. Once the system recognizes humans, testing that it triggers the automatic braking is probably just a matter of telling the system a person is standing in front of the car (even though there isn't) and checking that the auto-braking takes place. No need to put a real person in danger.

I'm sure there is some testing at some point with crash-test dummies, too. Not real humans...

It's either that or they call @CVP33 who appears to be willing to do real-life testing, according to his post above mine. ;)

·
Registered
448 Posts
OK Could not take it anymore:) Here is the recent posting from IIH I mentioned earlier which shows how testing is done. As noted Palisade/Telluride not tested for pedestrian injury, but several 2019 models did not get credit for working. Its odd but overall IIHtesting which the Palisade did very well in does not include pedestrian testing... Anyway see below.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts