Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My auto engine shut down mode seems intermittent. Sometimes it will shut down and stay until I release brake other times it will start up -- with a shudder-- after about 15 seconds even though brake is still applied OR am I releasing the brake pressure just enough (without knowing it) for it to sense although the car does not move ?. The symbol on the display flashes a few times when it does this.

·
Registered
958 Posts
My auto engine shut down mode seems intermittent. Sometimes it will shut down and stay until I release brake other times it will start up -- with a shudder-- after about 15 seconds even though brake is still applied OR am I releasing the brake pressure just enough (without knowing it) for it to sense although the car does not move ?. The symbol on the display flashes a few times when it does this.
That's normal, particularly now when the weather is hot. There are multiple criteria that have to be met for the engine to turn off and stay off. Otherwise, it won't shut off or it will restart automatically. This is the list of some of the conditions that have to be met (as per Hyundai):

Battery has a 70% or above State of Charge (SOC)
Shift lever is in DRIVE or NEUTRAL
Driver’s seatbelt is fastened
Driver’s door and the hood are closed
Brake vacuum pressure is adequate
Vehicle is not on a steep slope
Outside temperature is between 14 ~ 95oF
Engine coolant temperature is over 86oF
Air Conditioning system is not in high load or demand
Steering wheel is turned less than 180 degrees
System is not in the diagnostic mode
No related diagnostic trouble codes

In practice, I've experienced that the engine will turn back on when I'm stopped at a long red light because the AC is needed to keep the car cool. I've only experienced it this summer and only at long lights. It never happened in the winter and most red lights are short enough.

In short, it is doing its job. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am now in the habit of disabling it every time I start the car as that feature is annoying and , I believe, in the long run it adds wear and tear on the engine starting system. In other words , again in my opinion, it's more trouble than its worth. I welcome other opinions.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I am now in the habit of disabling it every time I start the car as that feature is annoying and , I believe, in the long run it adds wear and tear on the engine starting system. In other words , again in my opinion, it's more trouble than its worth. I welcome other opinions.
Well, since you said you welcome other opinions... cars with this feature do not use the same starter as cars without it. There are other changes as well. Here's a random link to read for more info (Google will find you more): Don't start-stop systems wear out your car's starter?

In short, cars with that feature are designed to accommodate it. It is not any more or less likely to break than anything else in your car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha ! Here in mid Florida the outside temp is always above 95 and so the A/C is always on high demand, let alone the other conditions !

I do turn off when I remember but having to do it every time ? Should be non active until selected.

Eric/b09676, thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
172 Posts
Ha ! Here in mid Florida the outside temp is always above 95 and so the A/C is always on high demand, let alone the other conditions !

I do turn off when I remember but having to do it every time ? Should be non active until selected.

Eric/b09676, thanks for the replies.
If I remember correctly, the auto start/stop needs to be active unless turned off in order for the manufacturer to use the higher fuel economy rating associated with the auto start/stop feature.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If anyone really wants to be able to shut the auto start/stop (known as Intelligent Stop & Go), there is this nice little module:

I don't like the auto stop/start either so I try to remember to shut it off, but I don't always remember and it would be nice to be able to have a memory feature like this module provides. I'm not keep on hacking into my wires on a new car, but I just might in time...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok I'm one of the many that don't care for this feature. and I too wish you could turn it off and it would stay off. Now having said that this is what I lave done. I took and old credit card and cut a sliver about 1 inch long and 1/8 th inch wide. (about the size of the off button) I slid this sliver between the left side of the button and the button frame then depressed the button. It stays in the depressed position and the auto engine shutoff stay off. I have been driving mine like this since last February. If I take the car in for service I'll take a needle and flick the sliver out, Just so there is no discussion with the dealer about it.
I dont remember where I saw this idea but it is a good one, I have shared this with a fried and he is now using this method on his Subaru.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also disable the auto shut off feature. It’s just annoying and only serves to make restarts slower.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
172 Posts
I've never ridden in a car with the feature. I thought it would really bother me. The first dozen times or so I was taken aback. Now it doesn't bother me at all.

·
Super Moderator
944 Posts
I haven't seen where it makes the restarts slower. It has restarted by the time my foot
goes from brake to the gas.
It can take getting used to but I don't even notice it any more

·
Registered
2021 SEL Silver Lagoon with bench seat
15 Posts
We only have just gotten this car (three days ago) and this function hasn't bothered me at all, I have barely noticed it. But we also used to have a Honda Odyssey and it did it so perhaps I'm just used to it.

Does it actually help with the mileage?

·
Registered
456 Posts
It’s really the reason ICE car manufacturers came up with the idea. It saves a little gas and any savings helps with their Corporate Average Fuel Economy.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited AWD Burgundy/Beige
60 Posts
If you have a non furry Velcro wire tie...the double side stuff. Just cut a rectangular strip as wide as the button and slide it in at the bottom of the button. It wedges in perfectly and is hidden and holds the button in the deactivated position, and yet you can still pull it out with a long finger nail.

·
Super Moderator
445 Posts
I would like to see the switch connector it may be a way to jumper the switch to disable system but myself i hate to mess with plastic trim as it breaks and tears so easy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts