Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished up the my new audio install. Front and rear components (Morel), dual 10" subs (JL Audio), dual amplifiers (JL Audio), DSP (JL Audio), and a little window dressing.

I am going to have to rewrap the center panel as this particular "leather" is just awful — too thin, too stretchy, moves, damages easily. But I have not had much luck finding another color to match the beige (almost grey) seats. Also, it has to be PU leather and not vinyl since I'm laser engraving it and vinyl releases chlorine gas. So if anyone has any ideas, let me know.

There's still a lot of tuning to do, but at least it's nice to look at. I hope you enjoy the images!

Automotive design Auto part Electric blue Measuring instrument Personal luxury car

Automotive design Car Grey Carbon Personal luxury car

Purple Violet Rectangle Electronic instrument Font

Musical instrument Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory Gadget Electronic instrument

Purple Rectangle Gadget Violet Font

Purple Camera lens Camera Reflex camera Digital camera

Everything up front looks stock except for the custom tweeter pods I made. Oh, and the bass knob in the console, but I'm in the process of working that out.

Vehicle Hood Car Automotive design Motor vehicle

Thanks for looking! If you have questions, let me know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What did you do with the door speakers?
I replaced both the front and rear door speakers with Morel 2-way component sets. The front is a Frankenstein set since I wanted to go with a larger tweeter and a lower crossover point.

Front (x 2):
Morel MT-350 tweeter
Morel Tempo Ultra 602 MKII 6.5" woofer
Morel MXR240.4 Hybrid crossover

Rear (x 2):
Morel Tempo Ultra 602 MKII 6.5" component (woofer, tweeter, crossover)

Other than the tweeter pods for the front, I was able to fit everything in the factory locations.

EDIT: I also ran new 14-gauge OFC wiring to all doors (two pair to each door), but that it invisible.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just so you all don't think I've completely lost my mind, I have also made a functional cover to allow continued use of the cargo area. I'd like to find a better carpet match at some point, but for $9.99 from AutoZone, it's hard to complain.

Grille Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood

Light Automotive design Gadget Car Electronic instrument

Car White Light Trunk Automotive design

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks awesome!

Did you grab the signal for the DSP pre or post factory amp?

Were the door panels easy to remove? Are there directions somewhere that shows the steps? I want to add some sound deadening so the doors don't sound so hollow.

Would you be willing to “mass” produce your sub/amp enclosure?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks awesome!
Thanks!

Did you grab the signal for the DSP pre or post factory amp?
I am grabbing the signal post factory amp with the JL Fix 86, in order to keep the chimes and all system functionality including volume, fader, etc.

It then feeds into a JL TWK 88 for full DSP control, with 10 bands of parametric EQ per each individual channel.

But I will note that the amplifier pinout I got from Hyundai Service Website is complete garbage — it's not even close to correct!

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

I believe this is the correct pinout and it is what I used to complete my installation, however, I did not verify the surround speakers. Please know that I take no responsibility for the accuracy of this document. Use at your own risk.

Font Parallel Pattern Number Screenshot

Were the door panels easy to remove? Are there directions somewhere that shows the steps? I want to add some sound deadening so the doors don't sound so hollow.
They are very easy to remove. There is a single screw inside the door handle. I recommend the following videos. Additionally, there is a small slot at the bottom of each door, not shown in the videos, where it is easy to insert a plastic pry tool and pop the door tabs.

Front door:

Rear door:

Would you be willing to “mass” produce your sub/amp enclosure?
That's not likely, but I'm flattered you would ask. You might be able to talk me out of some of the files I used for machining, but this is a hobby and I have a full-time job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't enjoy working with fiberglass, and I think the feeling is mutual. However, I did use resin to reinforce some of the interior box joints. But no, the box is 99% MDF. There were some design modifications after the first image, namely notching the rear corners for fitment, but you get the idea. Not my cleanest wiring job ever, but space was definitely limited — still, the box volume is to sealed spec.

Wood Table Engineering Automotive design Machine

Musical instrument accessory Automotive design Camera lens Electronic instrument Bumper

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow! Wow! So awesome great installation 👍 did you also use sound deadening mats in the doors?
Thanks!

Oh yes, sound deadening in the doors, floors, and mores...

Automotive tire Black Road surface Wood Black-and-white

I can't say whether it's as good as the expensive name brands, but I have used this stuff in several vehicles with good results. The price is reasonable for what you get.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow. You weren’t messing around. Did you deaden the outer door skin? If so, was it difficult to access that area of the inner door?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Wow. You weren’t messing around. Did you deaden the outer door skin? If so, was it difficult to access that area of the inner door?
I only did the outer door in the area I could reach through the speaker holes. I can always add more, but I don't want to add so much weight that the doors become cumbersome.

I am also using thick foam rings around the woofers to acoustically separate the front of the speakers from the inner door. This has the additional benefit of creating a constant pressure around the rim of the factory speaker grille, further reducing unwanted vibrations.

So far, I have not felt more is needed, and the mid-bass is incredibly tight.

EDIT: Just for good measure, this seems like a good spot to link the speaker adapters as well.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It definately needs some. The first picture shows the extent of factory sound deadening on the driver's door skin. After doing all four doors the stock Harmon Karden system was notably clearer and tighter. The doors lost the "hollow" sound when closing them and sound solid like a luxury car. It did quiet the road noise some too.

That complete floor treatment,WOW!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It definately needs some. The first picture shows the extent of factory sound deadening on the driver's door skin. After doing all four doors the stock Harmon Karden system was notably clearer and tighter. The doors lost the "hollow" sound when closing them and sound solid like a luxury car. It did quiet the road noise some too.

That complete floor treatment,WOW!
That looks great. I'll probably go ahead and do that as well, based on your comments. I've still got plenty of material. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One, two, three, four, get that deadener on the doors...

I went back through and massaged out the wrinkles before sealing everything up, but should be good to go now.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Green Bumper

1 - 20 of 28 Posts