Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an excellent video of how the Palisade's Atkinson cycle engine works. Gas Direct Injection (GDI) engines (like Palisade) have a reputation of fouling the intake valves with carbon deposits because gas does not flow through the valve and cannot clean it. To me, Atkinson Cycle engines have less of this worry given the fact that some gas mixture DOES flow through the intake valve. I'm hoping the cleaning properties of "Top Tier" gas can do it's job of preventing carbon build up of the intake valves. YES....I think using "Top Tier" gas is important for Palisade owners (google Top Tier Gas).

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It should be noted that the engine in the Palisade has variable valve timing, allowing it to be both an Atkinson-cycle engine AND an Otto-cycle engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should be noted that the engine in the Palisade has variable valve timing, allowing it to be both an Atkinson-cycle engine AND an Otto-cycle engine.
It's my understanding that although variable valve timing and the Atkinson Cycle do coexist they are two separate things. The extended down stroke of the piston and the open intake valve during the first part of the compression stroke means to me that it is exclusively an Atkinson Cycle. I'll certainly bow to the real die-hard gear-heads if I'm in error.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Variable valve timing would allow the engine to run in either an Otto cycle or Atkinson cycle, however, that doesn't mean it is implemented in that manner.

·
Banned
674 Posts
Good reason to run:

1) Tier 1 gas
2) Synthetic Oil
3) Techron fuel system cleaner every time you change your oil

Advance Auto has the 20oz. bottles of Techron for $7.99. Buy 4 and receive free shipping to your home. Link through Retail me not to save 10% in rebates.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
It's my understanding that although variable valve timing and the Atkinson Cycle do coexist they are two separate things. The extended down stroke of the piston and the open intake valve during the first part of the compression stroke means to me that it is exclusively an Atkinson Cycle. I'll certainly bow to the real die-hard gear-heads if I'm in error.
That’s the point. They can change the duration of the opening of the valve to effectively go from Atkinson to Otto.
Variable valve timing would allow the engine to run in either an Otto cycle or Atkinson cycle, however, that doesn't mean it is implemented in that manner.
Exactly. And it is implemented in that manner on the Palisade.

See this video (it’s 1h-long and I don’t have time to locate the right spot in the video right now, sorry):

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That’s the point. They can change the duration of the opening of the valve to effectively go from Atkinson to Otto.

Exactly. And it is implemented in that manner on the Palisade.

See this video (it’s 1h-long and I don’t have time to locate the right spot in the video right now, sorry):
The right spot in the video is 37:09. Very cool and thanks for setting it straight!
Am I correct in that any washing of the valves would occur at lower power demands (during Atkinson mode) and not at higher power demands (Otto mode)?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The right spot in the video is 37:09. Very cool and thanks for setting it straight!
Am I correct in that any washing of the valves would occur at lower power demands (during Atkinson mode) and not at higher power demands (Otto mode)?
Great question. I am not sure but that seems like a logical assumption.
Great video. I just learned a ton!
Yeah, it’s an awesome video. One of the best ones out there for anyone looking to really learn about the Palisade.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Intake valve cleaning will depend on the timing of the fuel injection. If the fuel is injected before the valve closes, some fuel will pass over the intake valve. If the fuel is injected after the intake valve closes, no fuel can pass back over the intake valve. I think the fuel will be injected at high pressure after the intake valve closes. This will keep the combustion mixture constant at the correct ratio. Extra fuel in the intake tract might make the fueling less precise. I have not yet seen any confirmation of the fuel timing for Palisade/Telluride engine, so either one of the two timings may be true.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts