Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, I was under the impression that the Calligraphy trims were AWD only (source hyundaiusa.com). While looking at a couple of window stickers online, I came across what I thought was an anomaly. One was a AWD Limited that showed "Downhill Brake Control" and "HTRAC AWD; Drive Mode Select Knob w/ SNOW Mode and AWD lock". And another sticker that showed a Calligraphy with those things missing but has a different headliner. The base price is ~$800 more for the limited. What's the skinny on this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. We (I) want the AWD version as we plan on using it for very long trips in possibly cold, wet climates. So I need to pay close attention when searching. It looks like we cannot go wrong with the Palisade as I've found nothing negative except none of them seem to come with a trailer hitch. Which seems really odd since the few I've looked at have Auto-leveling Rear Suspension and Trailering pkg (pre-wiring, transmission cooler, sway control). All of the Tellurides I've looked at have the hitch installed b4 arriving at the dealer. Downside on the Telluride is that in order to get at MSRP, we need to order it. Buying off the lot is $3k-$12k over.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
350 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. We (I) want the AWD version as we plan on using it for very long trips in possibly cold, wet climates. So I need to pay close attention when searching. It looks like we cannot go wrong with the Palisade as I've found nothing negative except none of them seem to come with a trailer hitch. Which seems really odd since the few I've looked at have Auto-leveling Rear Suspension and Trailering pkg (pre-wiring, transmission cooler, sway control). All of the Tellurides I've looked at have the hitch installed b4 arriving at the dealer. Downside on the Telluride is that in order to get at MSRP, we need to order it. Buying off the lot is $3k-$12k over.
Honestly I wouldn't get a OEM hitch anyways. It's FUGLY! I have the towing package on mine, just no hitch yet. Definitely much better aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great! Does it require drilling large holes in the frame? Or are the holes already there? On the Curt web page, I cannot tell if it comes with the mounting hardware. I was going to post this in a thread of it own. I've seen several threads on this topic. Thanks for the help. You guys are making this a pretty easy choice.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Great! Does it require drilling large holes in the frame? Or are the holes already there? On the Curt web page, I cannot tell if it comes with the mounting hardware. I was going to post this in a thread of it own. I've seen several threads on this topic. Thanks for the help. You guys are making this a pretty easy choice.
No drilling or cutting required, except for maybe one little clip that sticks down. You can install without trimming the tip off the clip, but it's probably worth trimming it to save the headache. The curt hitch comes with all the hardware.

If you happen to be in Florida, I have a curt hitch for sale I just pulled off of my Palisade before selling it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hey, do you happen to have a pic of whatever you're talking about? I was under the impression that no modifications at all were needed.
This stupid little guy:

It's right in the path of the head for the bolt. With much cursing, anger, and leverage, you can get the bolt past it, however, you can also shorten it by about 1/8" and slide the bolt right in. Cutting is by no means necessary, but man does it make it easier.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Oh, thank you. Those bolts need to be torqued properly, so I'd cut it (with a Dremel cutting wheel) to leave about 1/8" exposed, like you suggested. By the way, what's the part above that has that 'stud'?
There's a nut on the other side, so no issues with getting a torque wrench in there and just putting a wrench on tis side. The white guy only needs to be trimmed by about 1/8", not all the way down to 1/8". It's a mounting stud for some trim piece in the trunk cavity.

·
Super Moderator
1,502 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just put the bolt thru from the other side, have the nut on the side by the pin sticking down?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just put the bolt thru from the other side, have the nut on the side by the pin sticking down?
If memory serves, there may have been an obstruction that prevented that. It's been a while since I did the install.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
490 Posts
There's a nut on the other side, so no issues with getting a torque wrench in there and just putting a wrench on tis side. The white guy only needs to be trimmed by about 1/8", not all the way down to 1/8". It's a mounting stud for some trim piece in the trunk cavity.
I was always taught that you should apply the torque to the nut whenever the bolt is 3" or longer anyhow. Reduces the effects of torsional wind-up.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I was always taught that you should apply the torque to the nut whenever the bolt is 3" or longer anyhow. Reduces the effects of torsional wind-up.
That and the bolt is in contact with the frame hole bores more than likely, so you get some frictional issues. All in all, torquing the nut is the right answer here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Put the one bolt i from the other side, or hold washer against hole and just slide bold in. Screw protected by the plastic piece can be slacked off from above allowing piece to shift a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts