Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in putting a dashcam in my new Palisade but I haven't seen anyone post about doing it, running wire in the A-pillar (and its removal) etc. so I was wondering if anyone has and if there are any tips? I've done it in a 2018 Honda Civic Hatch and it was straight forward... tuck wire in headliner, pull out window/door weatherstripping and remove A-pillar (not difficult) running the wire behind the airbag along the other existing wires. With the Palisade I'm nervous because the A-pillar looks so nice with the soft touch trim (Limited) that I'm scared to mess with it before someone else tries lol, anyone already do this?

Thanks...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm planning to install a dashcam in my Palisade. If anyone else out there that has done it, I'd appreciate any feedback they can provide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here you go. a super detailed long~ video. Just about dashcam installation by the pros.

I can see right away the rear cam is going to be a pain to install.
As for the A pillar you can yank it and then try to wire it behind.
Or completely remove it, but to remove it you will have to press both sides of the anchor mechanism.. (check about 14 min )

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for the video, its a start. I'm only going to be doing a front camera and I'll likely mount it on the driver side of the windshield lane assist camera area so the only trick really seems to be the removal of A pillar. The A-Pillar has some weird two press lock at the top the guy spends a lot of time showing, I wish I understood him but it seems once you get past that the rest is very straight forward. I don't mind paying a "pro" to install my camera but to be honest I'm scared even the good shops might mess up my A pillar and leave me with a rattling mess.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I installed a dashcam with the help of the video. I ran a 12' USB cable from the dashcam, under the trim over the windshield, down the A pillar, under the driver's door seal, behind the lower dash and plugged into the USB plug under the center divider. I pulled the door seal back like they did in the video and pulled back one side of the A pillar cover enough to get the cable underneath it. Removing the fuse box cover made it easier to run the cable behind the dash. Attached are two pictures of the camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RichardT: thanks! did you remove the A pillar entirely and if so can you describe the process? It looks literally like squeezing it pops it loose but there is some kind of two sided push lock at the top? How was putting it back?

·
Registered
21 Posts
After I removed the door seal, I was able to pull the left side of the A pillar cover back enough to get the cable underneath it. When you remove the door seal, there is a nice channel in which to run the cable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After I removed the door seal, I was able to pull the left side of the A pillar cover back enough to get the cable underneath it. When you remove the door seal, there is a nice channel in which to run the cable.
I don't mean to criticize I'm sure I'm going to end up doing it your way, but the one reason I always heard to fully remove the A-pillar (and that is what I did on my Civic Hatchback) is to ensure the wire goes behind the airbag as there is some concern that if the wire in any way is in the way of the airbag deployment the bag may not be effective or something. Were you able to get a look into the A-pillar with it only partially removed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Installed dashcam yesterday - pillar removal is same as my 2018 Elantra without the hidden screw to 'pre' release cover. You just pop off by hand from snaps holding in place at the upper portion then you must release the plastic clip by pressing down on the two tabs (see image below). Either you get a child to get their fingers in there or use some really skinny needle nose pliers. Once that is released you pull gently up and away to remove the A pillar cover. I have in past zip tied and used electrical tape to keep dashcam wiring from getting in way of airbag but in this case just wrapped it around existing electrical wiring running down A pillar. To complete wiring to fuse box you can remove side panel on dash by gently prying plastic panel away with either plastic lever or flat head screw driver wrapped on cloth so as not to scratch. The plastic panel is only held in place by snaps (think 3 or 4) and once you pop one section off the rest comes easy. From there you have access to screw to attach ground and can better route wiring.

As far as which fuses to tap into my camera needs both a constant 12v power supply (VCC) and one that is only supplying 12v when vehicle is turned on (ACC). Using my volt meter found a spares for each. If you are looking for ACC I used the spare three over from bottom right and up one. If you are looking for VCC use the one 4 up from bottom right.

happy hardwiring...

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
In the owner's manual, it mentions that the car has some sensors/cameras/whatever located in that black plastic "base" thing that the rearview mirror is attached to:

Is there any particular precautions we need to take when installing a dashcam near that? I have the base SE FWD, so i dont have any of the fancy options; and on my car, it doesn't look like there is any OPTICAL sensors (it's just all plastic, no holes, no slots, etc.). Does it still need a clear line of sight, despite that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Unless you are attaching the dashcam to the outside of the car to obstruct the view of the FCA system you are fine. The black plastic cover on the inside keeps it protected from you doing anything to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That said if you remove the black plastic housing behind rear view mirror to run dash cam wiring be careful not to have it obstruct the FCA sensors facing out... kinda hard to do IMHO but regardless be aware. Easiest thing to do is just remove the small slotted cover behind rear view mirror and let wiring come down through that and not take off the larger black plastic housing. FYI it does snap off at bottom and slide out if you want to remove to see FCA and other sensors such as mic for calls.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unless you are attaching the dashcam to the outside of the car to obstruct the view of the FCA system you are fine. The black plastic cover on the inside keeps it protected from you doing anything to it.
That said if you remove the black plastic housing behind rear view mirror to run dash cam wiring be careful not to hav eit obstruct the FCA sensors facing out... kinda hard to do IMHO but regardless be aware. Easiest thing to do is just remove the small slotted cover behind rear view mirror and let wiring come down through that and not take off the larger black plastic housing which does snap off at bottom and slide out.
Good to know, thanks! I probably will take it to a shop to get it done, but I like to know as much about the process as possible so I can keep an eye out for any potential issues. Definitely will let the shop know. My main concern at this point is that these cars are so new, the local shops are probably completely unaware how to "specifically" install for our cars, so these pointers to mention to mention to them is certainly helpful.

With that said, are there any other "pitfalls" specific to our cars that I might want to mention to the shop about?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nope none on front dashcam - really hardest part is releasing the clip on the a-pillar cover - it is much more work to hardwire a rear cam as you can see from video. this is my second time installing the DDPAI Mini3 cam. I like it but it can be tricky if you are not techy to set up. Pic below of cam.

In addition I use the Add-A-Circuit Micro2 Fuse TAP Adapters as oppose the wire wrap into existing fuse like what the guy in the video does - not a fan of that method but really not that big of a deal. Pic below of wire taps for my camera

·
Registered
12 Posts
Man, y'all are Way Thorough! I was going to add that I just stuck my cam as high up the winsdscreen as I could, and jammed the wire in under the trim around to the driver's side, ran it across under the steering wheel and into the very convenient usb port under the console. I like your installation a lot better, but I don't think I am going to be prying panels off at this point. Too bad Tesla is the only one making dashcams standard!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts