Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I had been hoping to do this for a while and just couldn't find the information I was looking for.
Then I found a post on installing a radar detector that provided all of the information I needed. FWIW, I had been using a connection to the OBD port, but I'm not a big fan of using that as the power source and I hated the wiring options needed to get a clean install.

Figured I would share details and pictures here so it's easier to search for.

First I ordered this (make sure you get the right USB connection for your dashcam):
SimpleUSBCable 12V to MiniUSB Two-Prong Universal Dashcam Adapter

Opened up the easily accessible panel behind the mirror.
Unplugged the connection for the Homelink mirror to verify the correct connection points.
I used the green (switched power) and black (ground) connection points for my dashcam (I don't want the camera running when the car isn't on).
Verified everything works and cleaned up install with electrical tape then reconnected plug to the mirror.

Total time spent was about 15 minutes.

Hope it helps anyone else trying to do a similar install.

Pics:

·
Registered
2020 AWD Palisade SEL (Lagoon Silver/BlackBlack) with Conv
67 Posts
So for this approach, those wire/prongs just slip in to the back side of the power connector (which appears to be behind the panel to the passenger side?)

thanks!

EDIT: I have ordered https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PMDWSVD

will report next week after it arrives and I have time to install

Any trick to removing the panels around the mirror?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. The prongs slide into the connector that is behind the mirror. It's the middle section that pops out, not the passenger side one (although that might come off as well).
Just test it to make sure it operates the way you want it to before taping up and putting the cover back on.

Next plan is to check the wiring behind the rear light. I want to wire an old dashcam back there as well. I need to know the voltage though as I'd be surprised if 12V was running to a light switch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I ordered this for my Uniden radar detector (12V)

and installed easily ... yes just remove the center plate... I used the thinner set of prongs. I unplugged and found that the prongs slipped in the back/top(?) side more easily

I then used the supplied covers for the 2nd set of prongs, and wrapped a small piece of electrical tape to make sure they stayed in place. Then folded those back and taped to the cable, and finally 1 of the supplied cable ties to the cars harness. Plugged back in an voila!

Didn't know it could be this easy. Thanks for the tip!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys.. a little lost here trying to do this the same way. Do I just put the prongs in the extra spots on the power supply? Or what exactly am I supposed to do?

thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
@nelson: you are putting the prongs in the SAME holes (from the rear) as existing wires.
  • red wire on connector goes in the same hole as the green (switched power) wire
  • black matches up with black for ground
Always test before closing things back up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts