Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

Android Auto Widescreen

39K views 92 replies 37 participants last post by  bruesjoh04 
#1 ·
For my fellow Android users out there that use Android auto, have you noticed the huge black area on the right side of the screen that has the Android auto icon? I've also noticed that the margins aren't right (screen doesn't go to the edge). This is for the optional larger infotainment screen which is standard on Limited.

With the new Android auto version rolling out now I though maybe we'd get Widescreen! But nope...still the same form factor with the new UI (which is really nice).

Looks like we'll be waiting on Hyundai to update the head unit so we can utilize Widescreen. Anyone have experience with Hyundai entertainment system update time-frames?

Anyone use apple carplay? Does it use the whole screen properly?

#35 ·
A quote from that article also references an email from Hyundai spokesman Miles Johnson.

Basically because of the timing of Palisade [developed before Google opened ability for widescreen support] it will not receive widescreen support for Android Auto,” Hyundai spokesman Miles Johnson told me in an email.
So they don't even know what they will or will not do

#39 ·
Question for Android Auto users on the Palisade with the 10.25" screen: you know how, outside of AA, you can split the screen into 2/3-1/3? For example, have the built-in nav take 2/3 of the screen, and have the radio or climate widget on the last 1/3? If you've never noticed that you can do that, try it by dragging from the right edge towards the center of the screen.

Anyway, my question is: does this work with AA active? So that the last 1/3 of the screen is used by something other than just the AA logo? Has anyone tried?

I ask because the 2020 Sonata, which uses the same infotainment system as the Palisade, allows that. I suspect the firmware version is slightly newer on the Sonata, so maybe this isn't possible on the Palisade. At least not yet - maybe they'll provide an update to enable that before they enable full widescreen for AA.

I'm an iPhone person, so I can't test that myself.

#40 ·
@Eric2203 yes I have tried swiping in from the right while in Android Auto. No it does not change the static right third of the screen.

The latest headline on the MapCare site says late April for the version 14 update. Looks like it has slipped a month. I too think we may get the 2020 Sonata function for the right third of the screen.

Reactions: DEDM
#41 ·
Thanks for confirming that it's not possible on the Palisade.

It would be nice if they updated the infotainment system as part of the map updates. I've seen them do stuff like this on my 2012 Sonata, even though it doesn't actually have anything to do with maps. We'll see...

#43 ·
In theory, just the maps. In practice, you never know. For the last map update on the Palisade, they didn't just update the maps. They also changed icons, buttons and other things that had to do with navigation. Nothing outside of navigation that I'm aware of though.

I've seen them update Bluetooth functionality on my 2012 Sonata, for example. That had nothing to do with maps.

Here's the PDF with the changes from the last update: https://storage.googleapis.com/hma_mapcare_download/v13.5/pdf/HMA_New_Map_Features_135U5W.pdf

The next update is due late April (not March anymore).

#45 ·
Per the site they gave me this update in chat

"Thank you for contacting us.

Currently the map update for v14 is not available. Unfortunately due to some development challenges, the release date of the update had to be changed and is now due on 04/27/20. Because of that, the website search is currently not enabled.

Once it becomes available, only a shipped media option will be offered. The download may become available again for certain models with the v14.5 release sometime in July (subject to change).

I apologize for any inconvenience these delays may cause you, please let us know if you have any further concerns."

#46 ·
BE CAREFUL For anyone who goes to that link without reading carefully. The original date for map version 14 was going to be April 20, but as of now (April 21st) the site now has a banner at the top saying version 14 won't be ready until April 27th.

If you click the link you can see all of the new features, but if you purchase it now, you will only get the version 13.5 features, which does not include split-screen support for AA.

#57 ·
On Teslas, there is no hard loading of updates. Software updates in general come over the air, every few weeks. Map functionality and features are probably included in this. Not entirely sure how the map software works, but a certain amount of map data is “live” and dependent on the internet connection. I’ve only noticed a few times where there is no 4G that the music stops working and the map seems to track, but there is no background data.

#51 ·
According to the new software update, it says the directions are no longer going to be used from the in car info
The new directions will be done from Hyundai's cloud service.
I still think when we don't have service in some areas it will use self contained info

#59 ·
As I understand, we are entitled to two free updates a year. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. So if I download version 14 and then in July I download version 14.5, am I then ineligible for a free copy of the next update that may come out in the fall? If so, then I would bypass version 14 and just wait for version 14.5 in July. Call me cheap but I prefer frugal.

#64 ·
Web site says mid may for most models.
That doesn't really mean anything with Hyundai's map up date.
Started saying update would be in March ,then went to two
different dates in April, next went to mid May. Don't hold
your breath, might be tomorrow, end of month or next month.
You are not really missing anything anyway. Most of the updates
are nothing important unless you want to use the blank portion
of the android screen for something else or shorten Apple
Carplay to 2/3 screen size.
That was why I ordered the thumb drive. I've dealt with Hyundai's
map update before when it was called MapnSoft. All I wanted
was the map updates as so many places have changed. Then
too the changes don't cover any changes since Covid 19.
use the blue link search button over head, it will use the latest
google updates from the cloud

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.