Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up my Pali on Friday night. When I paid for the vehicle, all I saw was the MSRP, taxes etc. No where was the added items like options and inland freight broken out. The window sticker was inside the glove box. On Sat morning I went out to look the car over in the daylight. I found the sticker and discovered that they sold me, without my knowledge or agreement the following items which I do not want. Carpeted floor mats, $160, AND all season floor liners $195.00. So I have two sets of mats. The floor liners were "installed", the floor mats, having no place to go, were in the back. Then I got a cargo net, which is of no value to me, a first aid kit and wheel locks which were not installed as if they knew I didn't want it.

Do I have any recourse on this shit? Do I have to just say, "Please sir can I have another"?

I want none of it but I certainly don't need TWO sets of floor mats.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
So I picked up my Pali on Friday night. When I paid for the vehicle, all I saw was the MSRP, taxes etc. No where was the added items like options and inland freight broken out. The window sticker was inside the glove box. On Sat morning I went out to look the car over in the daylight. I found the sticker and discovered that they sold me, without my knowledge or agreement the following items which I do not want. Carpeted floor mats, $160, AND all season floor liners $195.00. So I have two sets of mats. The floor liners were "installed", the floor mats, having no place to go, were in the back. Then I got a cargo net, which is of no value to me, a first aid kit and wheel locks which were not installed as if they knew I didn't want it.

Do I have any recourse on this shit? Do I have to just say, "Please sir can I have another"?

I want none of it but I certainly don't need TWO sets of floor mats.
Thoughts?
If the items are listed on the window sticker, they're pretty much non-negotiable. Dealers don't want to end up with a pile of accessories, so they'll make you take them.

They should have shown you the window sticker ahead of time. They get it before the car (I assume you didn't just walk in on Friday and bought one, and that you've been waiting for it to come in) and they would have known which VIN they wanted to sell you. That wouldn't have made much difference though - see the non-negotiable part above.

Resell your spare mats on ebay.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The amount of legal recourse you have depends on what was stated in the documents that you signed. Do you have anything showing the original price you thought you were paying? If you financed the vehicle, what numbers do the finance agreement show?

My guess is that all of those will show the amount that includes the options and inland freight. If so, then there isn't much you can do, unfortunately. As Eric2203 said, Dealers generally won't take off the optional accessories. You might be able to get them to buy back or refund the 2nd set of floor mats, as that seems like a mistake. I've never seen a vehicle that has options for both. Also, you should be able to get the dealer to at least install the cargo net and wheel locks.

Unless you custom order a vehicle from the manufacturer, almost every vehicle they produce will have some set of optional features, especially on the higher trims. I've never seen a Palisade Limited that didn't include at least a couple hundred dollars of accessories.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would take a moment and look at your dealer's website. Pull up a Palisade and take a look at the window sticker. There are 2 columns showing what is included in that particular vehicle. The last section is Added Features: this is where you will see the added accessories from the factory/dealer order.

I agree that it sucks to have two sets of floor mats but I would say that if the items are on the Monroney nothing nefarious is afoot.

I also bought a Palisade on Friday.
The MSRP for the Limited AWD was $46.400. The Added Features for my particular vehicle was $625 (Carpeted Floor Mats, Rear Bumper Applique and Tow Hitch) and the Freight was $1,095 for a total MSRP of $48,120

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was told by my dealer that the extra crap that is on the sticker must go with the car- they cannot Not sell it with the vehicle. I got carpeted mats (which are quite lovely) but have to take them out to fit my weathertech liners in. Thankfully, no cargo mat or Tonneau cover, tho!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
There's no recourse. You signed that you agreed to those prices. If you noticed a difference between the actual MSRP of the vehicle equipped as you wanted and the vehicle they were selling you, the time to do something about it was before signing on the dotted line.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Understand your frustration, but you were satisfied with the price you paid (not knowing you were paying for those extra items), so I guess it's on you to know what you should have paid for the car without the add-on's. I'm sure you can dump them on E-bay or something similar. Good luck.
Rusty

·
Registered
80 Posts
It sounds to me like you ordered a Palisade direct from the dealer and they put on extras you didn't order. If that is the case, then your salesperson should have gone over what extras were available and let you select all, some, or none of them. I think you have reason enough to go back to the dealership and demand they take those items back and give you a refund if you did not order them. If your dealer thought they were doing you a favor, fine, they can do you a favor, and THEY can pay for them.

On the other hand, if you bought a Palisade that was on your dealer's website with the window sticker readily available, and if you test drove this vehicle with the window sticker in place prior to purchasing, and you bought this Palisade with the "extras," then tough shit, its yours. Be more attentive next time and negotiate those out of the deal PRIOR TO agreeing to purchase the vehicle with the extras if its that important to you. But as has been said, generally you buy a vehicle as configured as a dealership isn't going to want to, say, take your car mats back, when they order car mats for every one of their vehicles so its not like they are going to be able to put them on another vehicle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would take a moment and look at your dealer's website. Pull up a Palisade and take a look at the window sticker. There are 2 columns showing what is included in that particular vehicle. The last section is Added Features: this is where you will see the added accessories from the factory/dealer order.

I agree that it sucks to have two sets of floor mats but I would say that if the items are on the Monroney nothing nefarious is afoot.

I also bought a Palisade on Friday.
The MSRP for the Limited AWD was $46.400. The Added Features for my particular vehicle was $625 (Carpeted Floor Mats, Rear Bumper Applique and Tow Hitch) and the Freight was $1,095 for a total MSRP of $48,120
The stuff IS on the moroney but I didn't see it until after I got home as it was in the glovebox. The details of what is on the right side were not in the paperwork. I am not suggesting that the dealer did anything. This was done by the some moron either in Korea or Long Beach CA. THats where the crap is added. But to add two different types of mats really takes a special kind of stupid. I am going to press the dealer to take back the carpets.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The stuff IS on the moroney but I didn't see it until after I got home as it was in the glovebox. The details of what is on the right side were not in the paperwork. I am not suggesting that the dealer did anything. This was done by the some moron either in Korea or Long Beach CA. THats where the crap is added. But to add two different types of mats really takes a special kind of stupid. I am going to press the dealer to take back the carpets.
Chalk it up to not thoroughly reviewing your paperwork prior to one of the biggest purchases of your life. All too often people get caught up with the adrenaline of buying a new car and forget to check and double check the numbers.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It gets added because that's how the dealer ordered it. They don't just randomly put add ons on.
I think they are somewhat random, at least with GM vehicles. Or well not random so much as calculated by the manufacturer. The dealerships get a break on the invoice price for all of the added options. That way they can say they had no choice and won't remove them prior to purchase. Both the manufacturer and the dealer make a lot of money on them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My dealer included the first aid kit, wheel locks, and cargo cover for free. I didn't pay for freight or delivery charges either. I got one set of floor mats that came with the vehicle. I would press your dealer because that all too vitally important survey will be coming your way from Hyundai and that can break a dealership as well as the salesperson. Use that as your leverage. They can cut you a check to buy back the extras. If they score low enough on a survey, Hyundai will do a follow up with you. Too many bad surveys can literally cost a dealership thousands and thousands of dollars and back end cash. You can probably sell that stuff on e-bay, but let them cut you the cost of them. As for delivery fees, the dealer writes those off since they are tax deductible. There are literally hundreds of videos out there about car buying tips. Delivery. Destination, freight, etc whatever you want to call them is a bogus charge. They write that off on their taxes so they shouldn't make you pay them. Use not only that survey as leverage, but also Google reviews, Facebook reviews, DealerRater review, this forum, and tell them you are contacting some local YouTubers that do car reviews. There are so many car buying videos out there you can do a ton of research on them before actually buying but people like 60MinuteCar on YouTube loves exposing dealers like that. Ben Hardy in Utah does it. The ChevyDude hosts a podcast on Tuesdays and Fridays that he streams live on and you can blast the dealership there. It's all about using that as your leverage and really sticking to it. If someone came in to your house and stole thousands, you'd be pretty pissed, so same thing here. Get mad and hold onto it. Talk to the dealer and be firm. Use that survey first and then the website reviews and then YouTube. Get all the way to the GM or go down amd ask for the GM. But look up the GM first before you go there so you know who it is. They sometimes bring out some other manager to pretend to be the GM. If you can't find the GM, the head finance manager who is directly under the GM. The sales manager can't do shit, but you can start with him, but he can't get a check cut.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts