Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Hyundai the Palisade has ANC, But it only works on low frequency noise.
That means it can help decrease the engine noise. Remember this type tech.
only works if you have the radio on and turned up high enough to counter act the engine noise.
In Nov.2019 Hyundai announced they now have developed RANC road active noise control
which can help with wind and some tire noise not covered by ANC.
Sure would be nice if this could be an added feature to the Palisades already out here, But
would probably need extra sensors. It still would not work unless you have the radio on
The Harman Kardon 12 speaker system in the 2020 limited has a built in bass speaker so
ANC might be more active than in a base sound system.
Anyone think this works in the higher end sound system?

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
490 Posts
ANC works to cover the engine noise if the radio is loud enough to counteract it? Isn't that the way it works now? If the engine noise or road noise is noticeable, crank the radio. Works to counteract my wife's yammering too.

·
Super Moderator
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just you wait till I tell her what you said.
I'm not sure if my wife even says anything.
That real loud noise cancelation works great
with the volume up.
Hyundai claims it works but how would we know

·
Registered
944 Posts
Isn't that the way it works now?
Typically, active noise cancellation systems work by using a microphone to listen for a sound and then to play back the same sound out of phase, resulting in the sound waves cancelling each other out. It's much more doable on lower frequency, continues noises (engine noise, road noise, etc) than on high pitched, intermittent noises (wind noise) due to response times, etc. Because the stereo is playing back a sound, for this to be active, the radio needs to be on and up loud enough to match the intensity of the noise to be cancelled.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
It's possible that they can use the audio system even if the radio is off. It's all controlled by software after all, so it's entirely conceivable that they can do that regardless of whether the audio system is on.

·
Registered
944 Posts
so it's entirely conceivable that they can do that regardless of whether the audio system is on.
Well, sure... although at that point it'd be on, it just wouldn't say/show it was on. With that said, I find active noise cancelling headphones uncomfortable to use without music/noise going as well. When there are certain frequencies just missing from what you're hearing, your ears don't feel right.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Well, sure... although at that point it'd be on, it just wouldn't say/show it was on. With that said, I find active noise cancelling headphones uncomfortable to use without music/noise going as well. When there are certain frequencies just missing from what you're hearing, your ears don't feel right.
Yeah that's what I meant. It'd be on without showing to the driver that it is.

As to headphones: agreed. But man, is it nice when flying long-haul and trying to sleep to just turn the noise-cancelling on with nothing else. Don't know how I ever did it without them.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The Palisade doesn't have ANC, as far as I know (and it's not listed anywhere on the window sticker). Not even the 2021 G80 3.5T Prestige has it; only the top GV80 Prestige ($70K+) does. But to be honest, I don't think it's that effective on cars, but maybe there are better systems than others. Has anybody driven a G80 and GV80, to tell us if there's a difference in cabin noise?
It is mentioned here: Hyundai Motor’s World’s First Road-Noise Active Noise Control, RANC

This is a page that describes RANC, which is the newer system, used on the GV80. But you'll see this quote in there:
"As a result, the ANC (Active Noise Control) started to be used in the Hyundai Palisade and Kia K9."

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
490 Posts
You can try Road Noise Cancellation, it absorbs noise and can also prevent them from passing from road to residential areas. Specifically, the most commonly used acoustic solutions, as well as the cheapest residential soundproof barrier products, are noise barriers. These blocking road noise products are sold by standard size blankets or rolls, making the transformation of existing structures easy and cost effective.
That looks like a product to keep people in the houses and yards from hearing the traffic driving by, not so much for people in the cars from noises from their engine and from outside the car.

·
Registered
944 Posts
That looks like a product to keep people in the houses and yards from hearing the traffic driving by, not so much for people in the cars from noises from their engine and from outside the car.
It looks like a spammer link to me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts