Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wonder how many folks noticed that the refreshed Palisade is missing the Blind Spot Collision Avoidance Assist (BCA) which was in the previous version, replaced with the passive Blind Spot Collision Warning (BCW). This feature is preventative, in that , according to Hyundai, "coupled with the audio and visual alerts present in the BCW, the system applies brake pressure to the wheels on the opposite side of the car, which leads to you steering back into your original lane". This seems to be a last minute deletion as this feature was in the first version of the 2023 spec sheet.

I suppose Hyundai got rid of this because it seems the new advanced FCA-LS operates similarly (so there is redundance), but this is not available at the lower trim. Is Hyundai gradually getting rid of this feature in it's cars? I thought they should have retained it in the lower trims that don't have an equivalent feature. Not much was mentioned in this in the reviews or this forum.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Interesting ... I have a 2020 Palisade and it is a great safety feature. The active part of the feature has engaged two or three times in the last couple of years. It probably prevented a minor accident in one case.

I just wish I could turn off the audio alerts for the lane departure warning and just rely on the icon and haptic feedback in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an odd move by Hyundai. One really need to go to the lowest model (Hyundai Venue) to find BCW, it's in my 2017 Santa Fe, to show how old the system is. Virtually all other Hyundai models have the upgraded BCA (active avoidance assist). Is this a cost-cutting measure on the Palisade or what?

·
Registered
2022 Palisade Essential trim. Typhoon Silver
393 Posts
One of my disappointments with my 2022 is a lack of any blind spot monitoring on my trim level. It seems the Canadian Essential AWD without a sunroof did not warrant any blind spot monitoring.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wait wait. Im about to buy a 2023 palisade calligraphy trim. I currently drive a 2022 calligraphy. So on 2023, when im about to collide into a car in my blindspot, system just warns me on 2023 and doesn't auto steer and doesn't vibrate steering?

What a bummer ! @Medallione123. . Did you try it on 2023 calligraphy?

·
Registered
2022 Palisade Essential trim. Typhoon Silver
393 Posts
Wait wait. Im about to buy a 2023 palisade calligraphy trim. I currently drive a 2022 calligraphy. So on 2023, when im about to collide into a car in my blindspot, system just warns me on 2023 and doesn't auto steer and doesn't vibrate steering?

Gosh.. that seems like a step back.. making you rely on yourself while driving does not seem right.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I found this on the Austrailia Hyundai website for the 2023 palisade
Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA) - Revised
Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA) has been revised in the following areas for 2023 Palisade:

• The warning symbol in the exterior mirrors has been revised from the orange vehicle symbol to a red hazard triangle
  • The dedicated BCA off/on button on the right side of the dashboard has been removed
  • The lane-change partial braking collision-avoidance function when detecting a vehicle in Palisade’s blind-spot at speeds of 60km/h or above has been removed

BCA will still provide collision-avoidance assist when exiting a parallel parking space at 3km/h or below. If a potential collision with an approaching vehicle travelling at more than 5km/h is detected, the collision-avoidance system will apply braking force to help avoid a collision while exiting the parking space.
  • Hyundai Motor Company Australia | Hyundai Australia

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I found this on the Austrailia Hyundai website for the 2023 palisade
Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA) - Revised
Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA) has been revised in the following areas for 2023 Palisade:

• The warning symbol in the exterior mirrors has been revised from the orange vehicle symbol to a red hazard triangle
  • The dedicated BCA off/on button on the right side of the dashboard has been removed
  • The lane-change partial braking collision-avoidance function when detecting a vehicle in Palisade’s blind-spot at speeds of 60km/h or above has been removed

BCA will still provide collision-avoidance assist when exiting a parallel parking space at 3km/h or below. If a potential collision with an approaching vehicle travelling at more than 5km/h is detected, the collision-avoidance system will apply braking force to help avoid a collision while exiting the parking space.
  • Hyundai Motor Company Australia | Hyundai Australia
The collision avoidance feature is basically neutered, it would work when exiting from parallel parking but not in a situation when you also need it, when driving and a car comes from behind you into your blindspot and you are inattentive to the blindspot warning on the mirror. At least, the Australians still get something better than just the warning (BSW) which is what we got downgraded to. I hope the Auto reviewers drum on this missing feature (in addition to power folding exterior mirrors) so Hyundai gets it and reverse course.

Want to hear another odd thing: the lower models 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe, Kona and Tucson all have the upgraded BCA (perhaps this would change in the final spec, but for now, this is what the website is showing), not the BSW that is in the 2023 Palisade. Which begs the question: what is the rationale behind downgrading this feature in their flagship model?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The collision avoidance feature is basically neutered, it would work when exiting from parallel parking but not in a situation when you also need it, when driving and a car comes from behind you into your blindspot and you are inattentive to the blindspot warning on the mirror. At least, the Australians still get something better than just the warning (BSW) which is what we got downgraded to. I hope the Auto reviewers drum on this missing feature (in addition to power folding exterior mirrors) so Hyundai gets it and reverse course.

Want to hear another odd thing: the lower models 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe, Kona and Tucson all have the upgraded BCA (perhaps this would change in the final spec, but for now, this is what the website is showing), not the BSW that is in the 2023 Palisade. Which begs the question: what is the rationale behind downgrading this feature in their flagship model?
I agree. I am not sure why Hyundai continues to leave out or nurf features for the USA model compared to their Korean model. They state that the Palisade is their flagship model, but it is somewhat contradictory IMO. It would be nice if they would at least offer some explanation. They are quick to explain why they added features but are very quiet about why they leave features out. Hopefully, the 2024 model will add some features back to the USA model.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I just watched an update video by Ed's Garage on infortainment system of a Canadian 2023 Palisade Calligraphy. At about the 21.58 min mark, it shows under "Driving Safety", "Blind-spot Safety" - "Provides a warning when a risk of blind-spot collision is detected and provides emergency braking for parking exit". So, it is clear that the former BCA has been downgraded to remove emergency braking assistance in blind-spot driving situations, just like the one being rolled out in Australia.

It remains unclear Hyundai's reasoning for this move. My own thinking is this is a shift in language, I think the system (under the BSW terminology) will work just like BCA before (the same rear cameras that detect blind-spot cars coming from one's rear under parallel parking exit conditions should work, perhaps not as effective, under driving conditions at much higher speeds than the 5 km/h parking situations). I am guessing Hyundai is shying away from potential legal trouble to avoid the wording that encompasses emergency braking under blind-spot driving scenario. I just don't understand why they didn't call it BCA with a revised definition as they did in Australia. An official explanation would be nice though.

I expect this neutered BCA version to be baked in future iterations of Kia/Hyundai models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone with the 2023 know for sure that this feature has been removed? It was one of the features that brought me to the Palisade. I haven’t bought it yet.

I also noticed on window stickers of the 2023, it doesn’t show Lane Keeping Assist and some other features like Rear Occupant alert etc. However, more air bags have been added which has increased the safety rating

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just watched an update video by Ed's Garage on infortainment system of a Canadian 2023 Palisade Calligraphy. At about the 21.58 min mark, it shows under "Driving Safety", "Blind-spot Safety" - "Provides a warning when a risk of blind-spot collision is detected and provides emergency braking for parking exit". So, it is clear that the former BCA has been downgraded to remove emergency braking assistance in blind-spot driving situations, just like the one being rolled out in Australia.

It remains unclear Hyundai's reasoning for this move. My own thinking is this is a shift in language, I think the system (under the BSW terminology) will work just like BCA before (the same rear cameras that detect blind-spot cars coming from one's rear under parallel parking exit conditions should work, perhaps not as effective, under driving conditions at much higher speeds than the 5 km/h parking situations). I am guessing Hyundai is shying away from potential legal trouble if they avoid the wording that encompasses emergency braking under blind-spot driving scenario. I just don't understand why they didn't call it BCA with a revised definition as they did in Australia. An offician explanation would be nice though.

I expect this neutered BCA version in future iterations of Kia/Hyundai models.

Thanks. Excellent video! I think you are right the same seems to apply to the 2023 Telluride as well.
Below is an excerpt from the Korean Palisade 2023 PDF brochure. It seems they have changed the function globally now.

"Blind-spot Collision Warning (driving) /
Blind-spot Collision-avoidance Assist (forward exit)

A warning is issued if the risk of collision with the vehicle next to or behind you is
detected while you are using the turn signal to change lanes. If, while attempting a
forward exit (from a parallel-parked position), risk of collision with the vehicle next
to or behind you is detected, the automatic vehicle control function is activated."

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting ... I have a 2020 Palisade and it is a great safety feature. The active part of the feature has engaged two or three times in the last couple of years. It probably prevented a minor accident in one case.

I just wish I could turn off the audio alerts for the lane departure warning and just rely on the icon and haptic feedback in the steering wheel.
Have had my 2021 Limited for 24 months. After 18 months I turned lane departure warning off permanently (it comes on with cruse control). It is a great safety feature, but I couldn't take the audio alert any more - just getting near a painted line, narrow roads, in many construction zones, some pedestrian crossings . . . too much nanny! If I could turn the audio off I would still use it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts